Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

SRS Light Help. How to shut off without seat plugged in?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 05:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SRS Light Help. How to shut off without seat plugged in?

I replaced my stock OEM seats with some bucket seats. Now my SRS engine light is on. It is probably because I do not have the seat plugged in anymore. Is there a way to get rid of the SRS light and somehow bypass that switch? Jump it or something. Any ideas here?
Old 09-25-2003, 05:10 AM

Default Re: SRS Light Help. How to shut off without seat plugged in? (BodyKits NW)

Yeah, you could remove the SRS light bulb.
Old 09-25-2003, 05:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SRS Light Help. How to shut off without seat plugged in? (SpyderZEX)

So there is no way to bypass that plug under the seat or use a resistor to make the Ecu think it's still there?

This is a 2000 Honda Civic Si.
Old 09-25-2003, 07:40 AM

Default Re: SRS Light Help. How to shut off without seat plugged in? (BodyKits NW)

if you REALLY dont want to just unplug the light (like i did) do this:

Directions for erasing memory on SRS light
1st you need to either buy or make the "SCS Service Connector." I used a speaker harness for and older Honda which you can buy at a local stereo shop such as Circuit City or Best Buy, and cut the wires and looped them together. You can also use a paperclip but that will make it a little more difficult because you have to connect it and disconnect it a few times quickly.

2nd you need to find the MES (Memory Erase Signal) connector

It is a yellow connector with two wires in it that is plugged into the fuse box, unplug it and pull it down. Once you have done that you can begin the process of erasing the memory. NOTE: This will only reset your SRS System if what caused it to trigger has been fixed, Ex: turning the ignition on with any SRS Plugs disconnected, such as pulling your seat out.

1st step in erasing the memory is to turn the ignition off and connect the SCS Service connector to the MES Plug,

2nd Turn Ignition on. SRS indicator light will come on for about 6 seconds then go off.

3rd Disconnect SCS service connector for MES connector within 4 seconds after SRS indicator light goes off. SRS indicator light will come on again.

4th Reconnect SCS service connector the MES connector within 4 seconds after SRS light comes on. SRS indicator light will go off.

5th Disconnect SCS service connector from MES connector within 4 seconds. SRS indicator light will indicate that memory is erased by blinking 2 times.

6th Turn ignition off, and wait 10 seconds. Start vehicle like normal and light should come on and go out like normal. You have reset your SRS light, congrats.

If it does not work the first time try it again, the timing has to be perfect. My first time it took me 3 attempts before it worked, but it did work.

(quoted from http://www.teamdelsol.com)

now hook me up with a CF hood for my 95 civic ex at a discount price
Old 09-25-2003, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SRS Light Help. How to shut off without seat plugged in? (Simple)

Couldn't you just make a jumper plug for the harness under the seat?

In theory, it sounds like an option, but I don't know if it'll work.

Bad part is that if your SRS light is on, your SRS system is disabled, so keep that in mind.
Old 09-25-2003, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

good write up.
Old 09-25-2003, 08:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why would your SRS light be on if you removed your seat?

If I take out my seat and disconenct that 2 wire plug, then the only light I get is the NO SEATBELT light.

If your SRS light is truely on, then it has nothing to do with your seat, unless your seat has airbags in it (which the 2000 SI did not as far as I know).

If it is actually your NO SEATBELT light like I suspect, then all you need to do is short the 2 wires together that used to connect to the seat and come out of the carpet, and the NO SEATBELT light will go off.
Old 09-25-2003, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the help guys. Got everything fixed.
Old 09-25-2003, 07:24 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BodyKits NW &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks for the help guys. Got everything fixed. </TD></TR></TABLE>

So what was it?
Old 09-25-2003, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

even when i take my seat out and leave that plug unplugged, my "no seatbelt" light doesnt turn on. it only turns on if it's plugged, but dont have my seatbelt on.
Old 09-25-2003, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SRS Light Help. How to shut off without seat plugged in? (tonyXcom)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tonyXcom &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why would your SRS light be on if you removed your seat?

If I take out my seat and disconenct that 2 wire plug, then the only light I get is the NO SEATBELT light.

If your SRS light is truely on, then it has nothing to do with your seat, unless your seat has airbags in it (which the 2000 SI did not as far as I know).

If it is actually your NO SEATBELT light like I suspect, then all you need to do is short the 2 wires together that used to connect to the seat and come out of the carpet, and the NO SEATBELT light will go off.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's exactly right.
Old 09-25-2003, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jonas)

Well someone told me the plug under my seat has nothing to do with the SRS for my year of car. So I just figured I would reset it and that cured the problem. I thought about reseting it at first, but I figured it would just come back due to that switch, but since that switch has nothing to do with it I just reset it. It must have been because I replaced my steering wheel that caused the SRS light.
Old 09-25-2003, 08:03 PM
Trial User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (BodyKits NW)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BodyKits NW &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> It must have been because I replaced my steering wheel that caused the SRS light. </TD></TR></TABLE>

that would cause the srs light to come on.. good thinking should have said that before
Old 09-25-2003, 09:51 PM

Default Re: (jonas)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jonas &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">even when i take my seat out and leave that plug unplugged, my "no seatbelt" light doesnt turn on. it only turns on if it's plugged, but dont have my seatbelt on. </TD></TR></TABLE>

that may be right, I just forget which way it worked. Main point being, it has nothing to do with the SRS
Old 09-27-2003, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Damn light came back on, now it blinks lol. Everything is hooked up right, I am baffled.
Old 09-27-2003, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you can unplug the bulb or open the cluster and put electrical tape on the spot so it wont be in your way for now. just a suggestion. thats what i did.