Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

SRI vs CAI 99 EM1?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SRI vs CAI 99 EM1?

So I've got a little money and I'd like to invest in an aftermarket intake. I like the increased induction sound but the power increase is questionable. I was wondering if Its worth buying and whether a cold air intake or a short ram intake would be better for my specific car. Stock b16a2. Although, I do have a catback exhaust on it, not sure if that matters. I've read that with bolt-ons, they generally benefit each other as opposed to getting an intake with the stock exhaust or vise versa. I've done research but I'd like to know from people with first hand experience with the b16 specifically.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:21 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: SRI vs CAI 99 EM1?

Nope, no power difference.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NotARaCist
Nope, no power difference.
No power loss either? Mighty car mods did a dyno video of a stock airbox vs a short ram intake on an s2k And it did show power gains. But engineering explained did a video on a non-VTEC 99 Integra b18 and it showed slight power gain in the high end and slight power loss in the mid range.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Another_Si_Guy
No power loss either? Mighty car mods did a dyno video of a stock airbox vs a short ram intake on an s2k And it did show power gains. But engineering explained did a video on a non-VTEC 99 Integra b18 and it showed slight power gain in the high end and slight power loss in the mid range.
If you already knew this, then why make a thread?
Old 03-09-2015, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by White_EG1
If you already knew this, then why make a thread?
Because each video showed different results. I was wondering if people had experience with my specific engine and whether or not other supporting mods made a difference.
Old 03-09-2015, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Because each video showed different results. I was wondering if people had experience with my specific engine and whether or not other supporting mods made a difference.
So you think if it showed that on a powerful S2K engine, your engine would get even results? No, yours will be worse. Common sense.

I/H/E on a b16 +2hp way up top. -3 tq.

Why couldn't you just search? This has been said, and proved for years.

But to answer your question, a cai is somewhat useful, if you just want to drop money and have something shiny in your bay, and hear a wisol. Id just put a cone filter in the stock intake, same sound half the price.
Old 03-09-2015, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So you think if it showed that on a powerful S2K engine, your engine would get even results? No, yours will be worse. Common sense.

I/H/E on a b16 +2hp way up top. -3 tq.

Why couldn't you just search? This has been said, and proved for years.
If you read my original post, I said that I did search and found mixed results. I never said that I expect the same results as an S2000, and that I found a video on a non-VTEC b18 and got different set of results. Every engine, I would imagine, reacts differently to different things. I was just wondering if anyone on the forum had any specific results with either of the two intakes and what they were. I wasn't asking to get criticised. It May be common sense for you, But not particularly to other people.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

If you read my original post, I said that I did search and found mixed results. I never said that I expect the same results as an S2000, and that I found a video on a non-VTEC b18 and got different set of results. Every engine, I would imagine, reacts differently to different things. I was just wondering if anyone on the forum had any specific results with either of the two intakes and what they were. I wasn't asking to get criticised. It May be common sense for you, But not particularly to other people.
This isn't the performance or engine modification forum. The search function will bring you better answers.

If it was my car I would leave it bone stock. Considering every new sporty car is quicker than most civics I see no point in wasting money for 2 whp. What are you really Looking for, if I was going to modify my car I would only use name brand parts purely for aesthetic reasons. So let's say a red aem intake to match my red valve cover.

When the time comes to sell your car you will not get extra money by having more modifications. If you just want to hear Vtec simply chose an eBay short ram

Keep it stock
Old 03-09-2015, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
This isn't the performance or engine modification forum. The search function will bring you better answers.

If it was my car I would leave it bone stock. Considering every new sporty car is quicker than most civics I see no point in wasting money for 2 whp. What are you really Looking for, if I was going to modify my car I would only use name brand parts purely for aesthetic reasons. So let's say a red aem intake to match my red valve cover.

When the time comes to sell your car you will not get extra money by having more modifications. If you just want to hear Vtec simply chose an eBay short ram

Keep it stock
Not gonna lie, a lot of it has to do with induction noise. I don't care about name brand or getting more money when I resell it. Its a 99 civic with almost 200,000 miles. I'm not expecting much. I just don't want to *loose* power.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Objecting every reasonable answer lets me know your not only a smart ***, but trolling really hard. Or your just really sloooow
Old 03-09-2015, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Objecting every reasonable answer lets me know your not only a smart ***, but trolling really hard. Or your just really sloooow
Thanks, friend.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you're gonna comment on all of my **** and literally go out of your way to be a douche bag, for whatever reason, then I don't want your help. I'm new to the forum and I don't see the harm in posting questions that you deem basic knowledge. There's a difference between objection And defence. All I said was that I never said I expected results comparable to an S2K. Not once did I disagree with anything you or anyone else said, therefore, I haven't objected any reasonable answers.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:17 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The full explanation to your question would, quite frankly, go so far over your head that people would start asking questions about a new satellite. Just accept the fact that no, there is no noticeable difference in power. If you really want to understand how this stuff works, go to college, and take a class on fluid dynamics. More air isn't always better, and the difference between air flow and air velocity are huge.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:45 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You'll make a little bit of power. Its not true that an aftermarket intake will net negative or 0 results.

If you're just looking for induction noise...it'll give you that too.

A CAI will give you better gains...but youll have to maintain the filter more often. And you'll need to watch for puddles. Don't buy a no name CAI. Buy a decent one that has mounting brackets and a good filter attached to it. Or...atleast buy a good filter for a no name pipe.

A SRI is going to make more noise and give you slightly better response...until it gets heat soaked. In traffic in summer, you will for sure get heat soak.

Either one will make 2-5whp. Which is more consistent in terms od power gain than anything you can count on from a S2000.

But the stock intake isn't as ugly as either of the above. CAIs and SRI's are the ugly at best. Removing your lower resonator on your stock intake will give you some of the induction sound you're after. Its free. And you can drop a K&N panel filter in it. You can also make a safe snorkel into the fender.

Or set up a 94-01 integra airbox with a snorkel and a SRI sitting inside of it.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B serious
You'll make a little bit of power. Its not true that an aftermarket intake will net negative or 0 results.

If you're just looking for induction noise...it'll give you that too.

A CAI will give you better gains...but youll have to maintain the filter more often. And you'll need to watch for puddles. Don't buy a no name CAI. Buy a decent one that has mounting brackets and a good filter attached to it. Or...atleast buy a good filter for a no name pipe.

A SRI is going to make more noise and give you slightly better response...until it gets heat soaked. In traffic in summer, you will for sure get heat soak.

Either one will make 2-5whp. Which is more consistent in terms od power gain than anything you can count on from a S2000.

But the stock intake isn't as ugly as either of the above. CAIs and SRI's are the ugly at best. Removing your lower resonator on your stock intake will give you some of the induction sound you're after. Its free. And you can drop a K&N panel filter in it. You can also make a safe snorkel into the fender.

Or set up a 94-01 integra airbox with a snorkel and a SRI sitting inside of it.
The input is very much appreciated. Just for reference, what exactly is heat soak?
Old 03-10-2015, 12:42 PM

A SRI will pull in heated engine bay air. The intake charge will get hotter and hotter (soaking up heat). Eventually, the ECU will retard timing to prevent knock/pinging. You'll notice a drop in power and torque. Yes...its very noticeable.

The cooler you can keep the intake charge...the more air density you have. The more power you'll make.

There is a sweet spot in there between cold and hot that provides the optimal MPG.

The stock intake shields the charge from heat soak by using a snorkel that goes into the bumper and by using a closed off design that keeps enough heat out to prevent bogging and loss of power.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A SRI will pull in heated engine bay air. The intake charge will get hotter and hotter (soaking up heat). Eventually, the ECU will retard timing to prevent knock/pinging. You'll notice a drop in power and torque. Yes...its very noticeable.

The cooler you can keep the intake charge...the more air density you have. The more power you'll make.

There is a sweet spot in there between cold and hot that provides the optimal MPG.

The stock intake shields the charge from heat soak by using a snorkel that goes into the bumper and by using a closed off design that keeps enough heat out to prevent bogging and loss of power.
Under what circumstances does heat soak occur? I suppose, how intense heat? It doesn't get crazy hot here.
Old 03-10-2015, 02:52 PM

I wouldn't buy an SRI or a CAI. I'd buy a comptech or CT engineering ice box or make an ice box with an integra box.

Heat soak can occur in traffic or on really any warm/hot summer day.
Old 03-10-2015, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally I liked the itr intake tube and box. Tube is 3". I paid $75 shipped through hmo. I also took the concept of the icebox and made my own using 4" ducting routed from behind the fog light hole on my eh2. This kept my times at the track more consistent. Prior to this setup, I would lose .5 seconds after several runs due to heat soak.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

About the only benefit to having my no name short ram is that I get better gas mileage in the summer when the intake pipe and engine bay get hot.

The aluminum short ram pipe and no name ebay filter make the dang car whistle at idle and give a huge vtec bellow when you give it throttle, that being said I don't really want people to hear my foot to the floor and I'm barely passing traffic

The aluminum pipe retains heat much better than the factory intake hose, which makes the hx run leaner.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

My car has an SRI and I didn't think it was that great pulling in air from the engine bay, but I didn't know about heat soak. I need to try something different before summer gets here.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you're gonna comment on all of my **** and literally go out of your way to be a douche bag, for whatever reason, then I don't want your help. I'm new to the forum and I don't see the harm in posting questions that you deem basic knowledge. There's a difference between objection And defence. All I said was that I never said I expected results comparable to an S2K. Not once did I disagree with anything you or anyone else said, therefore, I haven't objected any reasonable answers.
Sorry bro, I was pissed at my girl that day, no excuse but that's why I probably sounded like a ******* lol. I was just tryna say the answer is in this thread, it's up to you if your gonna listen.

Honestly just keep it stock man. You have a em1 all these mods aren't gonna help your selling value, but deduct it. Like b serious said get a comp tech ice box. Everything he said is super informative. Or just pull off the stock resonator piping if you just want the sound.

If you still want one and don't care that it will rob you of power atleast get the intake pipe sleeves, it helps cool down the pipe. But won't help your filter so its 50/50, there on eBay.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry bro, I was pissed at my girl that day, no excuse but that's why I probably sounded like a ******* lol. I was just tryna say the answer is in this thread, it's up to you if your gonna listen.

Honestly just keep it stock man. You have a em1 all these mods aren't gonna help your selling value, but deduct it. Like b serious said get a comp tech ice box. Everything he said is super informative. Or just pull off the stock resonator piping if you just want the sound.

If you still want one and don't care that it will rob you of power atleast get the intake pipe sleeves, it helps cool down the pipe. But won't help your filter so its 50/50, there on eBay.
I'd like the sound, but I don't wanna lose any power. I want What's best for my car, I want it to be healthy.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Than your best bet is to remove the stock resonator piping. It will give you that sound without costing you any hp or tq. Jack it up remove the passenger side splash well, and you'll see it. Think there's a couple 10mm bolts you'll have to remove but that's it.

The easier way would be just to put a cone filter in your stock intake piping. But like mentioned. The filter will suck in hot air. That's why stock airbox is concealed.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Than your best bet is to remove the stock resonator piping. It will give you that sound without costing you any hp or tq. Jack it up remove the passenger side splash well, and you'll see it. Think there's a couple 10mm bolts you'll have to remove but that's it.
Alright thanks man.

Quick Reply: SRI vs CAI 99 EM1?