Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Squeeking noise in right front tire well?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeeking noise in right front tire well?

This is occuring in my 00 EX.

At lower speeds, say 40 and below, whenever you brake it'll make a squeeking noise (but I brake just fine). Also when you shift at lower speeds, say 20-40mph it'll make the same noise. When I just turned the car on earlier, I realised that if you turn the wheel from straight to left it'll make the same noise. Also if you tap on the brake while you're stopped it'll squeak a little.

I recently put in new brakes. I'm thinking my brakes may be going bad (production flaw?) but I'm braking just fine. Got this idea from searching. But it doesn't make sense that my steering would cause it to squeak as well.

Any other ideas?
Old 01-20-2007, 04:58 PM
NASIOC.com

Default Re: Squeeking noise in right front tire well? (jtchinoy)

wheel bearing maybe
Old 01-20-2007, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

where's the wheel bearing?
Old 01-20-2007, 05:04 PM
NASIOC.com

Default Re: (jtchinoy)

Its part number 2... usually they come with the bearing and the hub assy. thats if you buy it from autozone or something. It cost anywhere between 50-60$ for the part
Old 01-20-2007, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Otherguy)

Cant be wheel bearing from what he is describing, he said it make sound when he brake. If it a wheel bearing, it will make the noise all the time and should get worse when speed up.

Sound like a brakes problem since the noise happen when you brakes, when you perform the brake job. Did the rotor get machine?
Old 01-20-2007, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no i did it in front of my friends house. Lifted the car up, loosened the lower brake bolt, lubricated the new brakes and put them in. C-clamped the piston back in, then bolted it back down. did this for both sides. I don't know what it could be since it's affected at low speeds, when I brake, low speed shifts, and turning left when im stopped. noise amount differs between those, like low speed and shifting are louder than braking and turning the wheel.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jtchinoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no i did it in front of my friends house. Lifted the car up, loosened the lower brake bolt, lubricated the new brakes and put them in. C-clamped the piston back in, then bolted it back down. did this for both sides. I don't know what it could be since it's affected at low speeds, when I brake, low speed shifts, and turning left when im stopped. noise amount differs between those, like low speed and shifting are louder than braking and turning the wheel.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sound like your rotor is warping up, when you replace brake pads. It is recommended to machine the rotor so the pad has an even surface to grab onto, it should worsen if that the cased.

And if that the case, new pads and rotor , it only like 60 buck for both anyway
Old 01-20-2007, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (StolenTeg)

I got ceramic pads from "standard" I might have to buy a new set for 50

Is there a way to visually check if my rotor is warped? And why would warping cause squeaking on turns/ acceleration? Makes sense on braking though.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...ZWD1V

will those do? I wouldn't have to machine these too would I?
Old 01-20-2007, 07:09 PM

i say get a pair of brembo blanks, search the ht market place..

should be less than 80 shipped.
Old 01-20-2007, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bpr0422)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bpr0422 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i say get a pair of brembo blanks, search the ht market place..

should be less than 80 shipped.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I haven't really gotten into the details of brakes yet... what are brembo blanks?
Old 01-21-2007, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

do i have to take my hub assembly apart to remove the brake rotor? Since it's only been a couple weeks, I'm hoping I can just get my rotor resurfaced if it's not too out of spec yet. If not, I need to know either way since I'll be putting new rotors on if they are out of spec

Any other ideas of what could be wrong would help.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The only time you would need to machine your rotor is when you change pads, if you are buying new rotor and pads then they dont need to be machine.

Taking the rotor off is nothing complicated, take the wheel off then the brake caliper/bracket. Then there should be 2 screw that hold the rotor on the hub, unscrew those(becareful they stripped easily) then you can jsut pull the rotor off, if it stuck hammer it out. You are going to put in new ones anyway

Go to autozone or advance auto parts or Napa even, a set of new rotor and pads should be around 60 dollar. I paid 57 buck for mine, but i get a discount through my dealer.

Old 01-21-2007, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (StolenTeg)

I believe it's 70-80 for a set of brembo blanks around here. Then the ceramics are 50 So it's like 130 for me here. My cousin was saying pepboys can resurface for $8~ if I remove the rotor. Hopefully it can just be resurfaced and it's not too warped yet.I'll try to get some sound clips up of the squeaking noise. It's like a mix of squeaking and creaking. I'll try to record it on the way to school tomorrow.

So much for saving money for a turbo kit I'm gonna be buying a racing jack and a ball joint removal kit soon since right now my suspension/ brakes seem to be my maintenance issue
It's going to be worse on the pocket if it ISN'T the rotor that's my problem.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:24 AM

Default Re: Squeeking noise in right front tire well? (jtchinoy)

theres a pin by the lower ball joint....
i had the same problem, turns out that the pin was touching the brake shield....

does it also happen when going over a bump or elevation?
Old 01-23-2007, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Squeeking noise in right front tire well? (b16a4)

It's kind off on an off... I don't think it happens when I'm on a slope. Just the lumpy shifts (i actually had it squeaking when I was going like 5mph in 1st today, whenever you hit the gas it would squeak cuz the acceleration would always jolt), turning steering wheel to the left when stopped, and when you brake. Normally when the car is cold it won't squeak until it warms up. The squeaking when I brake is on and off too. When you brake, just when you hit the brake it'll squeak. It doesn't make a noise as you hold the brake. I tried to record it, I have to DL the audio file to my comp and sort through 30 min of road noise to find the squeaks

I got some brake cleaner in the car, I'm gonna take the brake pads off and lubricate where parts move and spray the rotor this weekend.