Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

squeaking when braking and turning left ... possible rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default squeaking when braking and turning left ... possible rotors?

hey guys im in a jam big time I think ... for a couple weeks there's been small squeak I've noticed when driving my car ... if the wheel is turned a certain degree to the left I can hear it when making a right turn or the road curves right I don't ... now I hear it WAY louder and more of a screeching sound! and when I press on the brakes I hear it as well ... I let go of the brake and in about a second or 2 it goes away ... since there is a delay im ASSUMING (big word there hehe) that my rotors are messed up .... cuz brake pads would make a grinding noise ... right? .... lol are these two sounds related? or could it be something with my steering system? any help would be much appreciated ... I'm gonna prob my car up on the jacks tomorrow to take off my tires n check out how my rotors are looking ... any recommendations on rotors cross drilled or slotted? I've read many many posts about the pros n cons .... I drive my car when i go someplace on average of 45 mins to an hour .. I live in the suburbs so everything is far away ... so I think the right option to go is cross drilled ... anyway long post .. sorry but I need help ... thanx in advance fellow HTers
Old 07-27-2004, 09:35 AM

Default Re: squeaking when braking and turning left ... possible rotors? (ibe2fly)

Cross drilled rotors are retarded. If you have to replace them, go with autozone blanks. All crossdrilled rotor do is weaken the structure of the rotor and reduce the effectiveness of the rotor due to reduced mass. You probably just have to change your brake pads. Check and see if the pads have worn down to the wear tab, which will cause that squealing.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:37 AM

Default Re: squeaking when braking and turning left ... possible rotors? (Draco)

thanx ill update as regards to the pads tomorrow when i jack up me mother ship lol
Old 07-27-2004, 09:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does the steering wheel vibrate/shake alot during high speed (freeway) braking??
Old 07-27-2004, 10:35 AM

Default Re: squeaking when braking and turning left ... possible rotors? (Draco)

[QUOTE=Draco]Cross drilled rotors are retarded. yes he is correct try power slots or stock if you need to replace. take it into a shop if your rotors are warped they may be able to sand down. all ways good to have a mechanic to check **** out 4 ya even if you do your own work. sounds like it may also be drive line associated. half axels or cv boots maybe. good luck
Old 07-27-2004, 12:53 PM

Default Re: (crx_88_si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crx_88_si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">does the steering wheel vibrate/shake alot during high speed (freeway) braking??</TD></TR></TABLE>

well i don't know what high speed is relatively speaking .. i normally drive around 70-80 mph in 55mph zones lol so if that's considered high speed then no but there's this mountain that i fly down that's really steep and has sharp turns i do about 90 down this monster .... the speed limits like 40 ... lol i have a need for speed ... but im safe about it ... if i can't control how fast im going i slow down but anyway .... there comes a stretch of about 100 yards that i go from about 80-30 mph im sure that kills my brakes ... ive had my ar about 2-3 months now ... ive calmed down a bit since ive been feeling a harshness when i brake like that .... so yea from high speed to intense braking there vibration in the car but not necessarily @ the wheel :-\ dunno if that's helpful on iD-ing the prob .. ill take to MAVIS n let them check out my rotors n stuff sounds go0d?
Old 07-28-2004, 07:15 PM

Default Re: (ibe2fly)

yeah man it sounds like your rotors are warped. i beat on my car as well, got to have fun somehow. that is why im on this site so i can save a buck fixin the **** that breaks by doing as much as i can handle myself. good luck with your whip.
Old 08-01-2004, 11:04 PM

Default Re: (puffed rice)

yea my rotors were fucked up .. paid mavis $240 for new rotors pads n an oil change ... there goes a couple days pay lol... gonna get the back rotors done in 2 weeks ... $80 more ...