Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Sqeaky coming from clutch

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sqeaky coming from clutch

I have a 93 del sol S.. stock with a d15. Within the past 4 months I've had a new clutch, master brake cylinder and CV axle. The shop I use for my repairs is very thorough on there repairs. Sense all these repairs, (All done at once) I've noticed a quiet but noticeable squeaky sound when I left off the clutch in any gear, at anytime.. But AS SOON as I touch the clutch when slightly the sound completely goes away and as if it never existed.. I read the squeaky clutch thread, Would this pertain to my issue or could this be something more major?

Thank you in advance.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Sqeaky coming from clutch

they didn't change your pilot bearing. bring it back and demand they do so..
Old 04-05-2014, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bamaland601
they didn't change your pilot bearing. bring it back and demand they do so..
Are you positive? How could that sound come from the inside of the transmission case and be heard form the outside?
Old 04-05-2014, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

very simple, pilot bearing controls the movement of the input shaft, most mechanic shops wont ever change them, i've dealt with over 20 different cases on whining/squeaking noises.
input shaft movement only happens when letting off because when pushing in your pulling it out, when your letting off your pushing in.

basically your 'well known/good' mechanic shop probably only changed your clutch disk, not your pressure plate, throw out bearing, or pilot bearing..

pilot bearings make noise when letting off

throwout bearings make noise when pushing in
Old 04-05-2014, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

very simple, pilot bearing controls the movement of the input shaft, most mechanic shops wont ever change them, i've dealt with over 20 different cases on whining/squeaking noises.
input shaft movement only happens when letting off because when pushing in your pulling it out, when your letting off your pushing in.

basically your 'well known/good' mechanic shop probably only changed your clutch disk, not your pressure plate, throw out bearing, or pilot bearing..

When you ask for a clutch job, do replacing those bearings come standard? Or are they the type of job that requires them to be replaced once worn out or blown out? Would you say they did the job correctly if I did not instruct them to replace those parts? Also on average what does a repair of that nature typically cost? Removal of the trans and engine are required so I know its already at least 400$ plus for removal and then cost of part and labor.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

In my opinion yes it should be but like i said most shops won't touch them unless the bearings are falling out.
in shops eyes when you say clutch job it has a single meaning cheapest way in and out.

now given clutch disks are usually $80-120 themselves but if you get a clutch kit, it includes disk, pressure plate, throw out bearing and pilot bearing.

if someone brought me a car and said clutch needs replaced, I'm grabbing a clutch kit, and brakr fluid to flush out the hydro lines. and make sure the slave/master cylinder is working properly

I'm no shop but i usually charge $100 per pull, $100 in $100 out, if it takes me half a day your bill in labor is $250-$275
All day $350

But being shops are pretty much charging $60+ an hr I'm sure $400 is about right.

but in my opinion if I'm paying over $400 for a clutch job they better damn well change all that.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:40 PM
yippee-ki-yay

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The main shaft/input shaft/pilot bearing is inside the transmission at the end of the main shaft gearing. It isn't something "changed" with a clutch. It takes a complete transmission rebuild to replace the bearing.

OP, my Civic started doing this just after I purchased it. You have two options. Replace your transmission or have it rebuilt. Either option has advantages and disadvantages. Mainly cost and risk. You could pick up a used transmission cheap. I've seen transmissions for my car going for $40 on Craigslist. But then who knows what shape its in so you could be pulling it in a matter of weeks or never. A rebuild is way more expensive but you know for sure you're transmission is good to go for a very long time.

Your mechanic probably won't do a transmission rebuild. They would generally pull it and send it to a transmission shop to have the work done.

Here's an idea of what's going on: https://honda-tech.com/forums/tech-misc-15/your-transmission-knocking-when-you-idle-loud-i-fixed-mine-pics-parts-1999434/

eH.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:01 AM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eHMxhACk
The main shaft/input shaft/pilot bearing is inside the transmission at the end of the main shaft gearing. It isn't something "changed" with a clutch. It takes a complete transmission rebuild to replace the bearing.
Uh...no. The input shaft bearing is inside the transmission, yes. The pilot bearing, however, is not. It's sandwiched in the flywheel. The flywheel should always be resurfaced when replacing the clutch, and the pilot bearing should always be replaced.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:05 AM
yippee-ki-yay

But the cause of the OP's problem is the input shaft bearing and that isn't something changed with a clutch.

My mistake on calling the main shaft/input shaft bearing a pilot bearing as well.

eH.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:33 PM
talks to himself

Received 78 Likes on 65 Posts

I'm confused. It's a squeaking noise, right? I literally JUST finished a transmission and clutch job to replace bearings. But, my noise was a grinding noise.

I thought squeaking was a resulting of poorly lubing the shift fork?

Is it a constant squeaking after the clutch has been released or is it only when during the moment when it's being released?
Old 04-07-2014, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by CX-Adam
I'm confused. It's a squeaking noise, right? I literally JUST finished a transmission and clutch job to replace bearings. But, my noise was a grinding noise.

I thought squeaking was a resulting of poorly lubing the shift fork?

Is it a constant squeaking after the clutch has been released or is it only when during the moment when it's being released?
The squeaky sound ONLY comes up when you let off the clutch completely. It's not a grinding sound or a crunch. It's like a low sounding chirp. But constaint when in neutral until I touch the clutch.. And then inside the cabin the clutch makes what sounds like a rusty spring stretching out when I push in on the clutch.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:12 AM
talks to himself

Received 78 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by LoveBrisk
The squeaky sound ONLY comes up when you let off the clutch completely. It's not a grinding sound or a crunch. It's like a low sounding chirp. But constaint when in neutral until I touch the clutch.. And then inside the cabin the clutch makes what sounds like a rusty spring stretching out when I push in on the clutch.
Thanks for the clarification. I honestly don't know what it could be. Probably one of the early posts already diagnosed it. Those guys are pretty smart. Good luck, OP.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:13 AM
yippee-ki-yay

Originally Posted by LoveBrisk
It's your Input Shaft Bearing (ISB). Google it.

The throw-out bearing make noise when the clutch it depressed. The ISB makes noise when the clutch isn't.

Take it to a transmission shop. They'll diagnose it for free or at the very least they should do an inspection on it for free.

eH.

Last edited by eHMxhACk; 04-07-2014 at 12:02 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:24 AM
yippee-ki-yay

.................................................. ...............click on that ^ link. Read how he describes his problem. Does it sound familiar?

Are you hearing the sound with the hood open coming from the transmission?

Are you talking about hearing TWO DIFFERENT SOUNDS? One from the transmission when the car is in neutral and your foot ins't on the clutch, isn't anywhere near the clutch?

And then another sound when the clutch pedal is moved coming from the movement of pedal itself?

eH.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's your Input Shaft Bearing (ISB). Google it.

The throw-out bearing make noise when the clutch it depressed. The ISB makes noise when the clutch isn't.

Take it to a transmission shop. They'll diagnose it for free or at the very least they should do an inspection on it for free.

eH.
Okay. I believe my issue has been resolved. Last note. Should I let this ride until it becomes a real issue or is presently a issue that needs to be addressed?