Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Springs for EG

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Springs for EG

I have 205 50 R16s on my eg and it sits really high...since I've never really looked into springs what should I look for? I've seen some that claim to drop it 2"...what about the adjustables? Are these a good way to get the perfect height? What about stiffness? Thanx
Old 12-11-2005, 03:05 PM

Default Re: Springs for EG (Manofsnow)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Manofsnow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have 205 50 R16s on my eg and it sits really high...since I've never really looked into springs what should I look for? I've seen some that claim to drop it 2"...what about the adjustables? Are these a good way to get the perfect height? What about stiffness? Thanx</TD></TR></TABLE>

coilovers are the best if you like to adjust your ride height. most drop anywhere from 2-4inchs max. stiffness is about preference, if you're using the car for strictly daily driving, going with softer springs will help. basically you want to double the spring stiffness vs stock for every inch you drop the vehicle. To prevent bottoming out the stock shocks/struts. For example, say the stock springs are 130lbs, and you'd like to drop the vehicle 2 inchs on stock struts/shocks, choosing the correct spring setup would require the spring rates to be 390lbs to prevent bottoming out. Also an alignment after lowering will help aid in preventing tire wear. If an alignment doesn't solve the problem, a camber correction will. As for adjustable dampers, they are good also if you're trying to build a car that performs well at the autox track and on the street. You can set it to soft for daily driving and turn it up a notch to stiff for autox driving.
Old 12-11-2005, 03:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

coilovers will be bouncy, so if you wnat a good ride and a pretty good drop, jus try some lowering springs
Old 12-11-2005, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Springs for EG (sockvtec)

Your tires will probably rub on the chassis really bad even with a small drop becuase those tires are too big.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:15 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sockvtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">coilovers will be bouncy, so if you wnat a good ride and a pretty good drop, jus try some lowering springs</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree. Coilovers straight up suck on EG's, or any Civics for that matter.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Manofsnow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have 205 50 R16s on my eg and it sits really high...since I've never really looked into springs what should I look for? I've seen some that claim to drop it 2"...what about the adjustables? Are these a good way to get the perfect height? What about stiffness? Thanx</TD></TR></TABLE>

You may want to look into some 205/45's and see how that works. I have a 2.3" drop in the front and 2" drop in the rear w/ 205/45/16's going on pretty soon.

Old 12-11-2005, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i running on k-sports right now, and i love them. they allow you change the ride height, without changing the preload on the stut.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OMNI power coilovers are great. affordable with good quality, stiff, not bouncy. dampening is great and the quality is on par with everything else in the segment. you should definately check on that tire size, that is about the same size as on my camry...did you typo?
Old 12-12-2005, 12:55 AM

Default Re: (littleredcivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by littleredcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">OMNI power coilovers....</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea, i want to get some of these, but ive been a lil iffy on OMNI lately

money is great either tho lol
Old 12-12-2005, 01:18 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by littleredcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">OMNI power coilovers are great. affordable with good quality, stiff, not bouncy. dampening is great and the quality is on par with everything else in the segment. you should definately check on that tire size, that is about the same size as on my camry...did you typo?</TD></TR></TABLE>

YES! My bad... they are 205/40/ R16
Old 12-12-2005, 04:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sockvtec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sockvtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yea, i want to get some of these, but ive been a lil iffy on OMNI lately

</TD></TR></TABLE>

OMNI had a problem with their QMC because of unforseen circumstances and corrected everything as fast as they could as soon as everything was sorted and resolved. it takes time to realize what the actual problems are in a newly developed product. working for a manufacturer myself, i can tell you that no matter what you tell the people to do or use as far as materials and processes, they still do not listen and you end up with issues like OMNI did with the QMC.

people say that their coilovers are junk and break...many of these people do not have OMNI coilovers or have never ridden on anything else with similar design, function or specs. i have been on TEIN FLEX, GC/KONI, HR/KONI, and driven many other suspensions on my customers cars and friends cars. i went from my FLEX to OMNI because I chose to, not because I had no money and sold them to buy ramen noodles for survival. although the OMNI costed less than the FLEX, they perform just as well in most situations and better in some. every part will have its pros and cons. there is not a magic part out there that has no drawbacks. I jump things in my car that is on OMNI for almost 30k miles now. I autoX and people always ask, is that JIC? TEIN? ZEAL? I buy what works, not to say that ZEAL , TEIN , JIC doesn't work, but OMNI does too. even JIC had a problem with the whole damper seperating, but you wouldn't call JIC junk would you?
Old 12-12-2005, 07:19 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by littleredcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> every part will have its pros and cons. there is not a magic part out there that has no drawbacks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

very good point

i wasn't hating on OMNI or anything, i was just saying they have had some problems recently..
Old 12-12-2005, 08:52 AM
Mr. Fuch-yu

Default Re: (sockvtec)

To the original poster, I just used skunk2 springs and camber kit(upper control arms) and got an alignment and have had no problems.

If that is low enough for you, I would suggest the skunk2 springs. If not, I would go with coilovers.

-Red
Old 12-13-2005, 03:06 AM

Default Re: (nitrared)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nitrared &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">To the original poster, I just used skunk2 springs and camber kit(upper control arms) and got an alignment and have had no problems.

If that is low enough for you, I would suggest the skunk2 springs. If not, I would go with coilovers.

-Red </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, that looks great! How much of a drop is that. What size tires?
Old 12-13-2005, 07:06 AM
Mr. Fuch-yu

Default Re: (Manofsnow)

Roughly a 2.5" drop front and rear. The tire size is 205/40/17. When I measured them. they are the same size as the stock steelies with tires. Hope this helps.

-Red
Old 12-13-2005, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i originally got a dropzone coilover-shock set, these things were rough. very bouncy but i didn't mind too much. had them on my eg for over a year. when i found out the my wife and i were pregnant i knew that i was going to have to make a change 'cause i didn't want my kid to die from shaken baby syndrome so i took off the coilovers and replaced them with tein s-techs and just kept the dropzone shocks. man what a difference. still pretty low only my kidnies arn't sore every time i get out of my car. yea there's a lot more body roll but not too bad plus my wife will acually ride in my car again. i'm running 205/40/16s
Old 12-13-2005, 07:31 AM
RTI

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sockvtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">coilovers will be bouncy, so if you wnat a good ride and a pretty good drop, jus try some lowering springs</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1995Civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I agree. Coilovers straight up suck on EG's, or any Civics for that matter.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't know why coilovers would not work well on an EG. I have ground controls with 325lb front and rear and they work fine w/AGX's. What is the difference between coilovers and just lowering springs besides the threaded body? and, why would they suck on civics but not other cars? Can someone explain this.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Springs for EG (RTI)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RTI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I don't know why coilovers would not work well on an EG. I have ground controls with 325lb front and rear and they work fine w/AGX's. What is the difference between coilovers and just lowering springs besides the threaded body? and, why would they suck on civics but not other cars? Can someone explain this.</TD></TR></TABLE>

probably because coilover springs are so short compaired to lowering springs.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:19 AM

that depends on the struts you have.

id get some omni adjustable sleeves. theyre cheap and are a good way to get adjustable drop.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:42 PM

Default Re: Springs for EG (dfoxengr)

ive had tein ss coileoers on both my hatches and they ride and handle like a dream. ive had so many different susp setups and tein is the best ive ever had.