Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Spring rates on h22 EG?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spring rates on h22 EG?

What are people running for spring rates on there h22 eg. I want to go with koni/GC. I dont know much about spring rates just the higher the more harder they will be and the faster they will spring up.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:42 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Spring rates on h22 EG? (Colby71)

The weight difference is only about 20lbs, so I wouldn't be worried about having to compensate for 20lbs.

Pick spring rates like you would for it with the stock motor.

If you're THAT worried still, then move the battery to the trunk.

If you don't have a/c, or if you don't have p/s, or if you have a CF hood, you've likely made up for most of the "extra" h22 weight.

Either way, even with all stock hood, ac/ps, you're still fine IMO.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Spring rates on h22 EG? (ek forever guy)

I find it hard to belve that the h22 with the m2b4 trans is only 20 pounds heavier then my 1.5 d-series. I do have a Carbon fiver hood and no A.C or P.S.

I will be using this car for auto-x and am looking for a competitve spring rate. I do not really care if it rides stiff.

What is the off the shelf spring rates of GC and how do they compair to stock suspension setup.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:16 PM
Ek Forever y0!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Colby71 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I find it hard to belve that the h22 with the m2b4 trans is only 20 pounds heavier then my 1.5 d-series.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually it's about 35lbs at the most, it's 20lbs heavier than a b-series.

You don't see people changing spring rates for the difference in weight with a b-series.

Still, 35lbs is negligible.

Whatever works for a normal civic, will work for you too.

BOTTOM LINE: Having an h22 does NOT necessitate the need for suspension compensation for weight.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:06 PM
Ek Forever y0!

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=684550

So my previous statement was slightly incorrect, it's still ~20lbs heavier than even a d-series.

With a light flywheel of cf hood you can pretty much cancel out any unwanted "weight gain"

Like I said, negligible.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Um...trust me...your gonna want some kind of compensation. I have a h22 del sol with H&R race springs and KYB gr-2s....the front was close to tucking tire and the back had an inch of wheel well gap. Hasport makes lowering springs for h22 equiped egs. I'm goin with ground control coilovers, they make a set also for h-series equipped egs or you can go with their drag coilover a order custom spring rates
Old 12-16-2007, 06:08 PM

Default Re: (DuecedSol)

so your saying ~25 lbs in the front would make your tires tuck????

it sure didnt affect mine
Old 12-16-2007, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well we have objective quantitative data against some guy saying his personal opinion. I would trust the data.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok...a H22 with a h-series trans weighs more than 25lbs more than a d-series and trans....now I'm just giving my situation...last time I checked H&R were pretty good about selling quality products and their springs usually give a very even drop....now with that said...why would my del sol with a full h22 swap with H&R race springs and KYB GR-2s (brand new, put on all at the same time) give my car a muscle car style rake?
Old 12-16-2007, 08:00 PM
Ek Forever y0!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DuecedSol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok...a H22 with a h-series trans weighs more than 25lbs more than a d-series and trans....now I'm just giving my situation...last time I checked H&R were pretty good about selling quality products and their springs usually give a very even drop....now with that said...why would my del sol with a full h22 swap with H&R race springs and KYB GR-2s (brand new, put on all at the same time) give my car a muscle car style rake?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Okay, max 50lbs./

Relocate your battery, remove a/c or ps and you've compensated.

This is retarded, a turbo kit on a d-series weighs more than most h22 swaps.

H&R race tucks tire on any car. That being your basis of it being heavy makes you sound like an idiot.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ek forever guy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek forever guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Okay, max 50lbs./

Relocate your battery, remove a/c or ps and you've compensated.

This is retarded, a turbo kit on a d-series weighs more than most h22 swaps.

H&R race tucks tire on any car. That being your basis of it being heavy makes you sound like an idiot.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Idiot? If you read what I said its only tucking tire on the front and well gap in the back? Why do companies make spring/coilover sets made for H-swaps in EGs? I'm just sayin, with my experience with MY car, its a good idea to get a higher spring rate for the front. I can totally feel the added weight on the front end of the car, handling kinda sucks. Also, the front end likes to bottom out, ive got dents in the strut towers from where the upper controls arms have hit them. Now I dont know if my situation is some freak situation, but keep in mind, the suspension is almost brand new...oem bushings, kybs, and H&Rs.

Oh, and I dont have power steering or a/c.

If look closely in the pic you can see the difference in wheel well gaps...
Old 12-17-2007, 03:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DuecedSol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Idiot? If you read what I said its only tucking tire on the front and well gap in the back? Why do companies make spring/coilover sets made for H-swaps in EGs? I'm just sayin, with my experience with MY car, its a good idea to get a higher spring rate for the front. I can totally feel the added weight on the front end of the car, handling kinda sucks. Also, the front end likes to bottom out, ive got dents in the strut towers from where the upper controls arms have hit them. Now I dont know if my situation is some freak situation, but keep in mind, the suspension is almost brand new...oem bushings, kybs, and H&Rs.

Oh, and I dont have power steering or a/c.

If look closely in the pic you can see the difference in wheel well gaps...
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Man, nobody here wants to see pictures of you and "your boiz" at your last "honda meet."

There's &lt; 50 lbs difference in the H22A setup than in a typical D series, some guy even weighed it, get out of here, tool, the hell are you arguing about?

To answer your original question (well what I'm pretty sure was your original question). What kind of spring rates should you get for your H22 swapped civic? What ever spring rates you need.

Some people autoX, and have extremely high spring rate springs on there, others, ie. me, have a slightly harder than normal spring rate.

Your weight isn't going to matter in this situation - your spring rate won't matter as per the engine as much as it is what it's going to be used for (daily, road race, autoX, etc.). Get whatever you want.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hahaha muscle car like "rake"

then i see a picture, and its less than in inch difference.
sheeeesh.

"Why do companies make spring/coilover sets made for H-swaps in EGs?"

companies make these "sets" so that people who simply pay a shop to do the swap and don't understand spring rates can simply order the "h22 in a eg" kit, while everyone else comprehends spring rates and can make a decision on their own.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:12 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Default Re: (instrument)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DuecedSol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Why do companies make spring/coilover sets made for H-swaps in EGs? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Because people like you think they are necessary.

Del sol's handling sucks to begin with. Don't blame it on the h22. Or your springrates.

Regardless, someone who's going to track their car should consider rates exponentially more in regards to their driver skill/type than to "compensate" for "50lbs"

Old 12-17-2007, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

from a d16y8 to a h22a4 w/o ac.
37lbs increse. curb weight. This was on a truck scale.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

try Tein
Old 12-17-2007, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yea i would say tien
Old 12-17-2007, 10:51 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Default Re: (THC07)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by THC07 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">from a d16y8 to a h22a4 w/o ac.
37lbs increse. curb weight. This was on a truck scale.</TD></TR></TABLE>

/thread

I win.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well when I was doing the swap last week I lifted both motors upit was not anymore then 50 lb diffrenc, but the h22 does hold more fluid but that will not change the weight more then 10 lb's

the stearing is not much diff I don't have my upper strut bar on so I cant really compair yet.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:29 AM
Ek Forever y0!

How do you like the swap so far?
Old 12-17-2007, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm running Tein Type Flex coilovers, 9k in the front and 10k in the rear. I rarely have any "bottoming out" issues, even with a 3" downpipe, turbo, and heavy manifold.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek forever guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

/thread

I win.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why are you guys bashing on me? I wasn't arguing anything, I said in "my situation". I'm not trying to prove anything but with my car it feels like it needs a stiffer spring rate in the front. You can win...I don't really care. I know the picture doesn't do it any justice, and its not a freakin meet, I used to work there, we were using the shop after hours. The hatch was my project and the dsm was my bosses..it stopped running...go figure right? Trust me, theres a wheel gap differences. I wish you were all here so I could show you and you would understand my point. I don't want to start **** on here, I love H-T...
Old 12-17-2007, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Because people like you think they are necessary.

Del sol's handling sucks to begin with. Don't blame it on the h22. Or your springrates.

Regardless, someone who's going to track their car should consider rates exponentially more in regards to their driver skill/type than to "compensate" for "50lbs"

</TD></TR></TABLE>
Dude, seriously, you need to stop posting. This is the second time I've called you out for bad information.

Del sols do not handle terribly. Having owned three (still have two of them), an EG hatch, and a DC, I can flat out say that the sols are more nimble on an auto-x course. The wheel base is shorter, and they weigh damn near the same as an EG. My EG times were slower than the sol with the suspension removed one one of my sols and put on it, using the same wheel setup. How? Hmmm, must be the shitty handling. Aside from that, they use the same suspension, so explain this terrible handling to me. Ooooh, cause you can take the top out, the car gets all bendy, right?

Now, for the weight...

You're forgetting all of the other BS parts that go with the swap. The intake manifold is about 10lbs heavier when fully loaded. The half shaft/cv combo is a couple lbs heavier. Starter? Yup, that's bigger and heavier. And the flywheel is about 24lbs, making it about 7lbs heavier than the lightest of the D series. The clutch is also a little heavier, as well as the various brackets. So, once you get down to the nitty gritty, you're looking at about 70lbs.

That being said, does it make a lot of difference? Coming from someone who's had every engine combo you can throw in a sol other than a K, no. It's not a huge difference. But it will make the car plow more. It rides differently, more spongy, and it loses some response. So, the verdict? Custom spring rates are always the way to go, and find something that fits your driving style and ride preferences.

Handling sucks? You fail.

By having a bazillion posts, it proves that you aren't out there wrenching and racing. Experience means a hell of a lot more than bench racing.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I love it so much power so fun! Traction is impossible in the snow. But it is leaking from the head/block where they meet and the headgasket is so I think the head might be warped. so i will probly be taking it back apart for some head work.

I got LCA so I can put a rear swaybar on. The old suspension fund is now the fix my F*()ing head fund.

But when I do get the suspension on I think ill go with a higher then off the shelf becues I am not picky about street ride but when I am on the track it needs to be there!
Old 12-17-2007, 12:14 PM
Ek Forever y0!

When I say they handle "badly" all i mean is that they have a tendency to oversteer more than your average civic.

Don't take me so literal.

Not once have I ever claimed my post count means dick.

Quick Reply: Spring rates on h22 EG?