Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

spring compressor??

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spring compressor??

anyone got a picture or can explain how this damn thing works because its kicking me in the *** i cant figure out how to put it on the spring or strut or what
Old 03-24-2005, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: spring compressor?? (hondaracing1)

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1106020

Old 03-24-2005, 10:35 AM

Default Re: spring compressor?? (hondaracing1)

you dont really need one if ur replacing the springs...but if ur gonna use one heres how i used one before i realized that you dont need one: expand it so it is as long as you can go and then attach one end to the bottom of the spring, and the other to the top of the spring...clamp it down, and then take off the spring...
Old 03-24-2005, 11:17 AM

Default Re: spring compressor?? (jdmBOMEXsi)

i think its pretty important to use one when replacing springs, especially stock ones. if you unbolt the top of the strut without a spring compressor the spring will shoot off the strut potentially hurting you or damaging something. they are pretty easy to figure out.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: spring compressor?? (wrb03wrx)

With my current springs I have to use two, 180 degrees opposite each other, otherwise the spring curves so far that I can't get it on/off the shock. YMMV.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you can just get an air tool, or an electrical impact gun to take it off. I would never trust those autozone spring compressors.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: spring compressor?? (Luserkid)

I used them once. Once.

I'd sell them to the first person to offer me money for them too. If you feel like you HAVE to use them, just put one on each side of the spring and clamp them down until it releases the pressure off of the tophat.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:54 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wrb03wrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i think its pretty important to use one when replacing springs, especially stock ones. if you unbolt the top of the strut without a spring compressor the spring will shoot off the strut potentially hurting you or damaging something. they are pretty easy to figure out. </TD></TR></TABLE>

the spring doesn't shoot off the strut. the top nut shoots off. pretty hard too. it's pretty sweet, just point it at somebody who once pissed you off when you take the nut off and see if you can hit them in the mouth with it. just make sure they don't swallow it because you're going to need that nut when you put the strut back together.
Old 03-24-2005, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: spring compressor?? (dreamer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dreamer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

the spring doesn't shoot off the strut. the top nut shoots off. pretty hard too. it's pretty sweet, just point it at somebody who once pissed you off when you take the nut off and see if you can hit them in the mouth with it. just make sure they don't swallow it because you're going to need that nut when you put the strut back together. </TD></TR></TABLE>
HAHA! I just shot mine into a trashcan.
Old 03-24-2005, 12:07 PM

Default Re: spring compressor?? (Ricey McRicerton)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ricey McRicerton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">HAHA! I just shot mine into a trashcan.</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol i love it.... ive shot one all around a shop once...took us 3 hours to find the damn thing.....ud think that a shop would have more huh? bastards....
Old 03-24-2005, 06:19 PM

Default Re: spring compressor?? (jdmBOMEXsi)

autozone gave me the wrong thing they gave me one for coilovers and the top peice wouldnt fit anywhere on the spring...but yeah i just left it on the car and realeased it and it show into the wheel well and then the back to i found 2 acual spring compressors in the garage so i sued them made it much easier...sorry about the spelling in a hurry
Old 03-24-2005, 06:24 PM

Default Re: spring compressor?? (dreamer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dreamer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the spring doesn't shoot off the strut. the top nut shoots off. pretty hard too. it's pretty sweet, just point it at somebody who once pissed you off when you take the nut off and see if you can hit them in the mouth with it. just make sure they don't swallow it because you're going to need that nut when you put the strut back together. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Good stuff.

An air wrench with the spring compressors works wonders. Takes like 10 seconds to compress the spring...if that.

Although...shooting people in the face could be amussing, unless they are bigger than you. Oh quick...reload...reload!