Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Spring Cleaning - Seats?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 06:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spring Cleaning - Seats?!

What's up folks, just got a set of dark gray seats for my EJ1 and they need a bit of cleaning before I install them.

All I can find so far, people have suggested using a suede brush, I'm looking for any suggestions on some good deep cleaning for the seats. Febreeze and Vaccum, Suede Brush until they look nice? Any specific upholstry cleaners that won't dampen the foam core of the seats?
Old 06-05-2006, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Spring Cleaning - Seats?! (dust_101)

Ive rented a carpet cleaner with the furniture attachments and used the cleaner that you can buy with the carpet cleaner. It is really nasty the type of stuff that comes out of the seats and when you are done you can clean the carpets of the car and your home
Old 06-05-2006, 07:24 AM

Default Re: Spring Cleaning - Seats?! (instructor74)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by instructor74 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ive rented a carpet cleaner with the furniture attachments and used the cleaner that you can buy with the carpet cleaner. It is really nasty the type of stuff that comes out of the seats and when you are done you can clean the carpets of the car and your home</TD></TR></TABLE>

kill 2 birds with one stone
Old 06-05-2006, 07:39 AM

Default Re: Spring Cleaning - Seats?! (Jokerluv)

best way to clean really nasty interior, is to take it all the way out, put it in a truck or something big and take it to the car wash. spray it down with the green tire cleaner, let it set a few minutes, then spray it all out with the high pressure soap, and then finally hit it really good with the water, making sure you get all the soap out of it. then when you bring it home, you have to set it out in the sun for a couple days until totally dry..........i leave mine on the driveway for extra heating.works like a charm, but don't try this method if you're in a hurry.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I like the carpet cleaner idea. for pressure washing seats and letting them sit out to dry. I used Blue Coral carpet cleaner, a can of stuff you can get at advance. its got the brush on the top where the foam comes out, pretty convenient and smells really nice. BTW, it works pretty well. get the seats nice and foamed up, scrub, and vacuum.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (ek gripper)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek gripper &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> for pressure washing seats and letting them sit out to dry. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Why? I did it with my momo and my rear seats. They turned out great. You just don't like the idea because it wasn't yours.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:47 AM

Interesting ideas, I've used the rental rug shampooer to clean the carpets in my house, the only thing I dislike about it is the amount of water that is shot into the seats. Granted, my carpets in the house are dry in a few hours, I just wonder since the seats are that foam material how much water they can absorb. Might very well be a moot point since the attachment sucks the water out seconds later...

...and I have a black replacement OEM carpet to put in my EJ1 as well, might as well clean that at the same time.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Carpet machines are a great way to clean the seats. Hit up your local Uhaul moving store they rent them out.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:51 AM

Default Re: Spring Cleaning - Seats?! (EM199dcs)

Pressure wash, yeah thats a great way if you want mold and mildew

I used a carpet cleaner
Old 06-05-2006, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

unsnap the hog rings,

take seat covers off of seat, then throw the seat covers in the washing machine, add alittle soap, then throw them in the drier for 3 minutes (leave them just a tad moist.. not dripping wet) let them hang till dry. then recrimp new hog rings to seat. now you got fresh smelling seats!

ive done this to all my seats works perfectly fine. if you let the drier dry them to completion they will shink a bid. so remember let them hang a day or two.

Old 06-05-2006, 02:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Spring Cleaning - Seats?! (packthis)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by packthis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Pressure wash, yeah thats a great way if you want mold and mildew </TD></TR></TABLE>

Funny, I've done it quite a few times and I have no mold or mildew. Maybe that is because there is a right way and a wrong way of doing things. I speak from experience, I've cleaned my $1000 seat with a pressure washer, I don't have any problems with it. It is all a matter of how you dry it. I garuntee you that a carpet cleaner leaves moisture behind that can cause mold as well.

Removing the seat covers is a very good method of cleaning them as well. But I have seen them destroyed in the process when people put them back on incorrectly.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:24 PM
Imperious: Mod of Valor

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by instructor74 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ive rented a carpet cleaner with the furniture attachments and used the cleaner that you can buy with the carpet cleaner. It is really nasty the type of stuff that comes out of the seats and when you are done you can clean the carpets of the car and your home</TD></TR></TABLE>

I like this idea.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:01 PM

Default Re: Spring Cleaning - Seats?! (JDM-97CX)

N<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-97CX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Funny, I've done it quite a few times and I have no mold or mildew. Maybe that is because there is a right way and a wrong way of doing things. I speak from experience, I've cleaned my $1000 seat with a pressure washer, I don't have any problems with it. It is all a matter of how you dry it. I garuntee you that a carpet cleaner leaves moisture behind that can cause mold as well.

Removing the seat covers is a very good method of cleaning them as well. But I have seen them destroyed in the process when people put them back on incorrectly. </TD></TR></TABLE>

There are other parts that are not supposed to get wet. Like sliders
Old 06-07-2006, 08:27 AM

Just as a final note, this method worked amazingly well. Had all the parts spread out on the garage floor and just cleaned and cleaned. The carpet had some serious funk nasty water coming out of it, but overall everything now looks as nice as it can and smells better than before.

Now if the install goes well this weekend, my conversion to an all black interior will start!