Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Speedometer/Tach issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedometer/Tach issue

As the title says, I'm having a problem with my speedometer and tach. I did search, but nobody seems to have had the same issue that I'm having so I'm asking here. The car is a 2000 Civic EX, 100% stock with the exception of some suspension components, 120k miles, Y8 motor. If any additional info is needed let me know and I'll add whatever is needed. Now that I've got all of that out of the way...

I'm having an issue where both the tach and the speedometer work intermittently. Basically what happens is this: get in, start car, tach needle stays at 0. Or it works normally. It's kind of 50/50 every time I get in the car. If it's not working, give the dash above the cluster a whack, and the tach starts working. Start moving forward, tach works as it should, speedometer needle stays at 0 mph. Give the dash above the cluster another whack, speedo starts working. Stop at a light, begin moving forward again, and the speedo may or may not work on it's own. Sometimes I'll have to smack it again, other times it'll work normally, and still other times it'll work once my speed comes up to between 20-40 mph. The problem with this, aside from having to beat my dash like it owes me money, is that at least the speedometer is kind of a critical instrument that you want working properly at all times. I've pulled the cluster and nothing seems to be loose and there's nothing obviously broken. All of the soldered connections look fine although I'll admit that I don't have much experience with soldering so those could be completely fubar'd and I wouldn't necessarily know it. The only other thing that I've noticed is that whether the speedo and tach work seems to be somewhat dependent on outside temperature. The colder it is outside, the more likely they seem to be to work without being beaten on. The warmer it is, the more likely it is that I'm going to have to smack the dash. Not sure if that info is relevant or even actually related and not a coincidence, but I figured I'd mention it.

Like I said, nothing I found in my search pulled anything that was quite like what I'm experiencing, so if anyone has any thoughts/input I'd like to hear it.
Old 04-07-2015, 11:51 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts
Default Re: Speedometer/Tach issue

There is 3 main things in that setup. The VSS, the wire harness between the VSS and the Gauge Cluster and then there is the Gauge Cluster. Well a 4th because of the Tach and that is the Distributor I believe.

The cheapest step is to test the wires between the VSS and the Gauge Cluster. That costs nothing but time and use of a digital multi-meter.

Then hitting up the junk yards and pulling another cluster to test with is another step you can do.

Then the last step is test/replace the VSS.

Being that both the Tach and the Speedo/Odometer are flaking, I would be looking critically at the wiring between the VSS/Gauge Cluster and also the Distributor/Gauge Cluster. And also the ribbon board connectors etc.

I believe the Tach is getting it's info from the Dizzy, while the Speedo is from the VSS. The common ground is the wire harness going to the Gauge Cluster.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks. I'll check into that. If it were just one or the other it wouldn't have me scratching my head like this but being both kind of threw me.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by TomCat39

I believe the Tach is getting it's info from the Dizzy
ECU for 99-00 Civics
Old 04-08-2015, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Weather was shitty today so I didn't get a chance to check it out. Had a thought though...since both the tach and speedo are giving me issues, is it more likely that the issue is at the cluster end of things rather than at the other end, or rather ends since they both go to different places? I know that for proper diagnostics I should test rather than assume, but that was a thought that just occurred to me.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:48 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
ECU for 99-00 Civics
Okay, good to know.

Originally Posted by 90si-rex
Weather was shitty today so I didn't get a chance to check it out. Had a thought though...since both the tach and speedo are giving me issues, is it more likely that the issue is at the cluster end of things rather than at the other end, or rather ends since they both go to different places? I know that for proper diagnostics I should test rather than assume, but that was a thought that just occurred to me.
You test whatever is the common ground. In your case it's the cluster ribbon board and the dash wiring harness.

To test the harness though, you have to go from end to end of the connections to test continuity.

The fastest test of the cluster is to swap in a known good one. It's a lot more efficient than trying to electronically troubleshoot the ribbon board. Not saying you can't test the ribbon board but that it's more time consuming.

RonJ gave a vital piece, your tach runs from the cluster to the ECU as it's a 99-00.