Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

speedometer not working

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 05:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speedometer not working

Just bought a 96 EX from a friend and the speedo works once in a while.... he said he checked the harness connector with a multimeter and it was getting a signal to the speed sensor. Not sure if the odometer was still reading, I'll check that today.

He told me that he read some place online that something in the speedo itself loses its connection, like the solder breaks and it can be fixed. Anyone have an idea? Please let me know... thanks!
Old 05-29-2013, 05:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: speedometer not working

for the price of one head over to a pick n pull and grab a new VSS. but first inspect yours and see if there are any breaks in the wiring
Old 05-29-2013, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B_Swapped93
for the price of one head over to a pick n pull and grab a new VSS. but first inspect yours and see if there are any breaks in the wiring
well if the odometer is working the speed sensor is working, about to go check on that actually, and as I said, the plug at the speed sensor is getting a good signal, so the wiring is fine.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Is your car surging? like are the lights flickering???
Old 05-29-2013, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nope nothing flickering. The odometer isn't reading either so that rules out the speed sensor.

I did go for a drive and it started to work again until I got home. I did mess with the ground on the battery as well before the drive, if that could make a difference.

Removed the cluster to check the connections and everything seemed fine, but since reinstalling it now the fuel gauge reads full all the time!
Old 05-29-2013, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by redturbo0
The odometer isn't reading either so that rules out the speed sensor.
Erm...How so?

If the speed sensor isn't functioning, and ecu thinks you are going 0mph....why would the odometer work?

Even though the plug has good signal from the pins using the multimeter, doesn't mean its not the plug. More times than not it is the plug not fitting tight on the sensor anymore. Ask me how I know......
Old 05-29-2013, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JuggerNaut-CTR
Erm...How so?

If the speed sensor isn't functioning, and ecu thinks you are going 0mph....why would the odometer work?

Even though the plug has good signal from the pins using the multimeter, doesn't mean its not the plug. More times than not it is the plug not fitting tight on the sensor anymore. Ask me how I know......
from what I read everyone said that if the gauge was still good it would give a odometer reading because the speed sensor was still good. Just going by what I've read on a few sites.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^Doesn't make any sense at all
Old 05-29-2013, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The odometer works off the signal from the vss....not a gauge
Old 05-29-2013, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JuggerNaut-CTR
The odometer works off the signal from the vss....not a gauge
I said it wrong, that's what I meant. I mean if the vss is working the odometer would be reading. But if it isn't its a problem with the gauge.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

seems the speedo works when the car is warmed up.... any ideas?
Old 05-30-2013, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So I guess you are still here because you don't think its the plug. Which like stated already...."more times than not its the plug". Just because the pins have good signal, does not mean the pins are contacting the sensor pins fully.

Same thing happened to me. The speedo would work at random times, did all the voltmeter tests you can (from the cluster to the speedo sensor, back to the ecu). Tried different vss...different cluster. Jacked the car up and manually spun the gear inside the trans for the vss and got signal from the voltmeter. Was about to give up and got a plug from the junkyard, wired it in and BAM...working speedo again.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just went out and visually inspected the plug myself, haven't done this, just trusted my friend when he said it was good. Plug looks pretty much brand new, now the speed sensor, seems to have an issue... the connector on the sensor itself doesn't lock the plug in place, the connector has a piece of broken plastic on it. Maybe this is the issue. Maybe when the tranny is warm it allows the plug to expand a bit and the plug makes a good connection? Could this be a possibility? Either way I jumped the gun a few days ago before I asked and bought a VSS from ebay for $20. I'll let everyone know if that fixed it.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i am having the same issue, the next thing i need to check is css too? Juggerhaught-CTR is right it might be the plug.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by andrewrh
i am having the same issue, the next thing i need to check is css too? Juggerhaught-CTR is right it might be the plug.
like I said, visually inspected the plug, looks brand new actually. The speed sensor connector is a bit broken to the point where it doesn't seem to lock the plug into place. I'm gonna try it out when my new speed sensor gets here and we'll see from there on out.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Funny....mine looked brand new also. If the plug isn't snapping on the sensor, I can totally see it not always connecting. Hopefully, the different speed sensor will make a nice tight connection. Goodluck
Old 06-02-2013, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

didn't work... cleaned the connector which looked brand new anyways and used deelectric grease as well in it and no luck... my cluster is the next bet... which I need to replace anyways cause of the damn fuel gauge
Old 06-02-2013, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Have you replaced the plug on the harness side ? that's what I had to do with my Teggy you'd need to either twist the wires together or solder them<(recommend). if not try the cluster
Old 06-02-2013, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a issue which is kind of alike, but not really.. my speedometer works most of the time and sometimes it just jumps to higher speeds and makes a clicking noise, would this be caused by the same things as redturbo0's problem?
Old 06-02-2013, 01:14 PM
nub
Honda-Tech Member

OP, something you can look for that is somewhat common.

Disconnect the plug and look at the terminal side. There should be a white plastic cage inside the plug. Sometimes these will stick in the sensor when unplugged. If you have one in both the plug and the sensor the one in the sensor needs to be removed.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Check the grounds on the thermostat
Old 06-02-2013, 08:01 PM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

mine was the harness plug with corrosion.

here is also another method to look at for those who might be searching for an answer in the future

http://techauto.awardspace.com/vss.html
Old 06-07-2013, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

new cluster worked but there are some plugs I can't plug in... I'm assuming the new cluster isn't from a ex, although its from a 2000 model that I put into my 96 ex. The green plug is obviously cruise control which I am unable to plug in because the new cluster doesn't have it. Whatever, thats fine. New cluster has an orange socket which I have nothing to plug into it, behind the fuel gauge and temp gauge. Anything I should worry about? Seems to work without it.

EDIT: Checked the ebay auction I bought it from, the new cluster is from a 2000 EX, guess they just didn't have cruise. Could I just swap in my cruise board, cut the hole for it and it will work?
Old 06-07-2013, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

On a semi-related topic: I was out driving earlier and while I was idling at a stop light my speedo went to 40 mph then back to zero on its own. I have a Speedohealer installed so I just figured a hiccup in that is what caused it. Just curious if anyone else have seen that before.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by redturbo0
seems the speedo works when the car is warmed up.... any ideas?
OP, I realize you got a new cluster and it fixed the problem, but you probably could have just repaired your old one. This sounds like an issue with the solder joints on the back of the speedo/fuel gauge. The same thing that happens to the main relay over time due to heating/cooling. All you likely needed to do was take a soldering iron and reflow each of the numerous solder joints on the back side of the speedo, fuel gauge, temp gauge and tach to insure years or further usage.

Quick Reply: speedometer not working