Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

speedometer

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speedometer

my speedometer sumtimes acts funny and they told me it might be kinda loose in the back(the connection) so my question is on a 92 civic dx wats the easiest way to get to the back of the speedometer?wat do i gotta take out r there any hidden bolts or screws?
Old 02-18-2007, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: speedometer (black-lude)

Check the VSS on your transmission first. If your have to pull the cluster out, there are two screws on the underside of the black trim piece surrounding the guages. Then gently pry your hazard light out, there's a screw behind there. Then GENTLY and PATIENTLY pry the black piece out, there are several clips that hold it in. Next, you will see two screws on each side of the cluster, pull them out. Pull the cluster forward just a little and rotate it down. Unclip the wires, and then pull out the cluster. Take off the clear plastic piece, there are three clips on the top and three on the bottom. Then unclip the black piece in the same manner. Then look at the back of the cluster where all the green wiring is, there should be four screws that hold the speedometer on, unscrew them and it'll come off.

Got all that?

Or, just go buy a new cluster if the VSS doesn't solve the problem.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: speedometer (dr92cx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dr92cx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Check the VSS on your transmission first. If your have to pull the cluster out, there are two screws on the underside of the black trim piece surrounding the guages. Then gently pry your hazard light out, there's a screw behind there. Then GENTLY and PATIENTLY pry the black piece out, there are several clips that hold it in. Next, you will see two screws on each side of the cluster, pull them out. Pull the cluster forward just a little and rotate it down. Unclip the wires, and then pull out the cluster. Take off the clear plastic piece, there are three clips on the top and three on the bottom. Then unclip the black piece in the same manner. Then look at the back of the cluster where all the green wiring is, there should be four screws that hold the speedometer on, unscrew them and it'll come off.

Got all that?

Or, just go buy a new cluster if the VSS doesn't solve the problem. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I've never broken any of the clips off my gauge bezel but I've heard of pple that broke all the clips off theirs and they said it doesn't matter - it'll still go back in and look fine .

Though yeah, change the cluster and see if it still gives u some ****, if it does, change the VSS.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:15 PM

Default Re: speedometer (Syndacate)

how do i check to see if the vss is working or not
Old 02-18-2007, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by black-lude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how do i check to see if the vss is working or not</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm sure there's ways to check the resistivity 'n **** but I'd just replace it with a known working one and see if it gives you the same problem.

It's on top of the transmission.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: speedometer (Syndacate)

The clips are ok- you can definitely break them and still be fine.

On the other hand, I got a little anxious prying, and broke off part of the black plastic surround.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just check to make sure it's in there tight and none of the wires are corroded. If the speedometer is sometimes working, then the vss is probably fine, but might have a loose wire or something. It's the easiest place to start anyhow.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:42 PM

Default Re: speedometer (dr92cx)

ok so check vss ...umm wich one is it wats it look like or wat?....yea my speedometer sumtimes works fine but then sumtimes its like it turns off or gets stuck on sum speed like 40 when im doing 60.....