Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Speedo Swap Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedo Swap Question

I already posted this in the engine theory forum but not getting any responses and its for a 93 ej1 so I figured Id ask here instead. Hopefully someone here can help me.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Not sure if this is in the wrong place but I figured it was about theory so this should be ok.

Recently I bought a Canadian speedo with the KM/hr in the larger font and MPH in smaller so I could be different since this isnt seen very often. My problem is I need my odometer to work correctly and measure in miles and not kilometers.

Two ways of doing this: 1) Not using it or 2)Pulling the needle and having to recalibrate.

I have an option after lookin over the speedo I purchased. The circuit board on the back of the speedo unit on the Canadian cluster separates from the actual face and mechanical units(gauge and odometer) and plugs into the unit that runs the speedo motor and odometer motor.

I'm thinking that if I swap my circuit board from my US speedo to my Canadian speedo, the circuit board should make the Canadian speedo register in miles and not kilometers. The face of the speedo doesnt matter as theyre the same just numbers are switched. For those of you theorists out there, do you think this would be true as the circuitry is separate from the actual mechanical/motors?

Any info would be GREATLY appreciated.

CLIFFS: Swapping circuit board from U.S. speedo gauge to Canadian speedo gauge. Would it measure in miles or kilometers on the odometer?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 02-03-2006, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Speedo Swap Question (isumase)

bump up
Old 02-03-2006, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

TTT
Old 02-04-2006, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone?
Old 02-04-2006, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

IMO, if you want the different cluster, then use it. KPH and everything. and just convert over when you want to know how many miles you have gone. seems like to much of a hassle to me. just write down the formula used to convert Kilometers to miles, and put it in your glove box, and pull it out when you want to figure the miles you have gone. or just memorize the formula.

good luck.
Old 02-04-2006, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Speedo Swap Question (94hatchling)

i know the formula and can do it pretty quickly but im just trying to do this to keep my odometer going steady without change. anyone else?
Old 02-05-2006, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

TTT, still hopin
Old 02-05-2006, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you swapping the circuit board or the whole odometer? Swapping the circuit board would theoretically make the gauge read in miles, but separating it from the odometer will be a bitch if you don't break it while doing it. Now, if you swap the odometer, meaning the gauge faces, your speedo will be off. There's no way getting around the kph to mph easy unless you have a converter.

What I did was get a priority mail label and write down both mileages from both clusters and stick it on the inside of the glovebox. To get the correct mileage for anything: subtract mileage on the CDM odometer from the number (in kilometer) you wrote down on the label, then convert to miles, and add it on top of the mileage (in miles) on the label.
Old 02-05-2006, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Speedo Swap Question (BlueIntegraBoy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueIntegraBoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Are you swapping the circuit board or the whole odometer? Swapping the circuit board would theoretically make the gauge read in miles, but separating it from the odometer will be a bitch if you don't break it while doing it. Now, if you swap the odometer, meaning the gauge faces, your speedo will be off. There's no way getting around the kph to mph easy unless you have a converter.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanx man, thats what i thought. i have the cluster right here and ive pulled the circuit board off numerous times. its only held on with the three screws that hold the whole assembly in place. just pull the three screws and pull straight apart. but thanx man, i was just needin someone to double me up on my theory.