Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Speedo Quit While Driving

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 05:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 Speedo Quit While Driving

On my way to work this morning the my damn speedometer quit working. I've got a 96 ex coupe with a d16y8(stocker except for bolton's) and a system(if it matters). All the other gauges work still except this one. I was cruising at 50mph's and all the sudden it just dropped dead on me. On this post; https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...ht=Speedo+quit, it talked about checking the VSS and fuses on the inside. Any other opinions on this while I'm stuck at work?
Old 04-10-2009, 06:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Speedo Quit While Driving

Its your gauge very common problem just get a new gauge and you will be fine.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I was afraid of that, this **** happened to me last time and I had to get a new one lol. Might go threw the fuses when I get off and maybe even check my VSS while I'm at it. Like I said though all the other gauges work (RPMS, Fuel, Temp) just the speedo and odometer quit.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

I don't think the cluster is the problem if the odometer also doesn't work. I would focus on the VSS and its wiring.

Is fuse 15 under the dash blown? Is the CEL ON?

You may want to read this TSB.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll check the fuse once I get out of work. I'll also try replacing the VSS with another just to see if that could be the problem as well. Thanks for the reply Ron! You helped me fix the timing (jumping the connector) just a few days ago and now hopefully you will lead me in the right direction with this problem.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Im just seconding on checking the speed sensor, why dont you hook a reader up to it and pull the CEL code before buying a speed sensor??? I had to replace mine about a year ago and it was about 120 bucks.. no point in spending that much if thats not the problem, unless your just wipin your tail with 100 dollar bills...
Old 04-10-2009, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by FearTheH
Im just seconding on checking the speed sensor, why dont you hook a reader up to it and pull the CEL code before buying a speed sensor??? I had to replace mine about a year ago and it was about 120 bucks.. no point in spending that much if thats not the problem, unless your just wipin your tail with 100 dollar bills...
LoL, definetly not whiping my tail with $100 bills. I'll most likely go pull the CEL before I do anything but like I said, I'm working ATM so can't really diagnose the car. Just wanted some input from others to try and cover everything. Thanks for the replies this far.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright I'm working on this now, I check the fuses under the hood and the dash(steering column) none of them were bad. Isnt there another set of fuses on the driver side panel?
Old 04-11-2009, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Fuse 15 is in the dash fuse box near your left knee when you are driving.

You might benefit from reading this related thread.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bingo, fuse was blown to ****. Going to replace it and wrap up the wires on the intake mani and will report back. Thanks so far Ron.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

All of my wires seem to be covered with the tube and tape. Also how in the hell are you suppose to work behind that intake manifold? My hands are almost too big to get behind there and do work. Frustrating but I'll continue to work on it.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 96 EX
All of my wires seem to be covered with the tube and tape. Also how in the hell are you suppose to work behind that intake manifold? My hands are almost too big to get behind there and do work. Frustrating but I'll continue to work on it.
See post #19 at here.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
See post #19 at here.
I've found the wires(C115), I wiped down the wires which were covered in grease. I've got the bracket for the manifold unbolted and the car is also elevated on jack stands. I'm just having trouble visually finding which wire may be the culprit.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's a slow methodical process. You may be able to get clearer view of the wires by removing the oil filter and using a mirror.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just popped the C115 clip off the bracket and moved it around while looking at it with a light. I checked all the wires repeatedly as I cleaned them off. Still dont see any problems with the wires.... Irritating cause I'll have to trial and error it until I find out which one it is. The fuse does blow again if I put a new one it in though.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

When you turn the key to ON(II), does the CEL remain ON or turn OFF after 2 seconds? If it stays ON, retrieve the CEL code(s) and post them.

You mentioned that the Speedo stopped working. Install a new fuse 15 and run the engine. Does fuse 15 blow again? If so, disconnect the VSS connector and repeat the test to see whether fuse 15 no longer blows. Obviously you need a box of 7.5A fuses to run a bunch of tests like this.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes I put a new fuse in it after I found the one that was blown then took it around the block which it then blew that one. After that I proceeded to take the mani bracket off and began to clean the wires up and de-grease them. After I got them wiped off I began to inspect the wires as best as possible with no luck on finding a loose/exposed/melted/whatever wire. The wires look a whole hell of alot better but who knows if it fixes the problem. I'll put everything back together and put a fuse in it and take it for a drive and post what I find.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Good luck. Any CEL codes? To check, jump the service connector and turn the key to ON(II)? See forum CEL sticky for more details.

If fuse 15 blows again and you have no CEL codes, then carefully inspect the alternator wires.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Will do, letting the codes clear now then will take it for a drive in a minute. I do have a audio system that requires alot of amps. I believe the alternator was being pushed to the limits of its capacity. But time to take the trash out and go drive this turd.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If necessary, you would inspect the two wires running between the alternator and fuse 15.

Old 04-11-2009, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just got back from driving my car, no go on the speedometer. Next I'll check the wires from the alternator and get back to you. Hopefully I can figure this out soon cause no speedometer is just begging for a ticket. I might just got and buy a bigger one anyways since I'm practically maxing out my current stock one.
Old 04-11-2009, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 96 EX
Just got back from driving my car, no go on the speedometer. Next I'll check the wires from the alternator and get back to you. Hopefully I can figure this out soon cause no speedometer is just begging for a ticket. I might just got and buy a bigger one anyways since I'm practically maxing out my current stock one.
Did fuse 15 blow again? Did you recover any CEL codes?
Old 04-11-2009, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
Did fuse 15 blow again? Did you recover any CEL codes?
The fuse did blow again but I havent recovered the CEL. I'll most likely go to autoparts store tomorrow morning and have them recover it while I pick up more fuses and check on a higher rated alternator.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright just woke up this morning an went to Big Boys then to the autoparts store. Had them check what CEL's my car was throwing and we've got a couple. Here they go:
P1298-Electric Load Detector(ELD) circuit high input
P0135-BBA/F sensor 1 heater system malfuncion
P0141-BBA Secondary H02S12 circuit heater system malfunction
P0500-BBVSS circuit malfunction
I had them print off the list of what they meant and what might be the problem. At this point I'm guessing it's my VSS? The code did come up and all.... Any input would be highly apprechiated! Need to get this thing fixed by today!
Old 04-12-2009, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Those codes cinch the idea that there is a short in the wire harness under the intake manifold as described in the TSB. Re-initiate your search for the damaged wires,

Quick Reply: Speedo Quit While Driving