Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Speakers

Hey guys, I tried looking online for a way that I can mount rear speakers into my 94 civic hatch back. My friends 92 hatch comes with the panel cutout for the speakers but mine doesn't. Its just a solid cover. Can you guys help me with a how to guide on putting in rear speakers?
Old 10-16-2011, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Speakers

I don't have much experience with EG hatches, but I know in my EK coupe you have to take out basically all of the panels and the seats in the back. May be the same thing, not sure though. I'll browse around and see if I can find you a DIY.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

From what I am reading, rear speakers in EG hatches was a dealer-installed option. So if your car currently has NO speakers, it looks like you can cut a hole in the panel where the speakers are supposed to go, and the brackets to mount the speakers are behind it.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:59 AM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Just find those pannels, they are interchangedable.

Hell, most of them were already wired for rear speakers.

Just for an example---http://htarchive.org/showthread.php?t=1849226
Old 10-24-2011, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Instead of going through all that why don't you just mount 6x9's in the cover for the trunk area? Put them on the front Half and you'll still be able to fold the back half of it up as usual for trunk access. Plus 6x9's will sound way better than any 5" or whatever size speaker mounts in the panels you don't have, also 6x9's mounted close to ear level will sound better than speakers aimed into peoples elbows will.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:23 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JUICE66
Instead of going through all that why don't you just mount 6x9's in the cover for the trunk area? Put them on the front Half and you'll still be able to fold the back half of it up as usual for trunk access. Plus 6x9's will sound way better than any 5" or whatever size speaker mounts in the panels you don't have, also 6x9's mounted close to ear level will sound better than speakers aimed into peoples elbows will.
Don't listen to advice that tells you to mutilate your car in any way. Do it right or don't do it.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is crap, bad advice dude. A round speaker is more efficient than an oval speaker. That back cover is worth a whole lot more than those cover inserts are. $200 or $25

If you want to do it the right way find the stock speaker cover 50 on ebay. and order the mounts for 30-40 a piece thru majestic honda,
Old 10-24-2011, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i know right. you can get a gathers setup for like $200
Old 10-24-2011, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by speedjunkie_g35
That is crap, bad advice dude. A round speaker is more efficient than an oval speaker. That back cover is worth a whole lot more than those cover inserts are. $200 or $25

If you want to do it the right way find the stock speaker cover 50 on ebay. and order the mounts for 30-40 a piece thru majestic honda,
Oval vs round is debateable. I have 2 pioneer 6x9s that are much more "efficient" than my 6.5"s with exactly the same wattage going to them... A good oval will keep up to a decent circle any day. 6x9s are much better at providing a rear fill as they have a larger cone area than any reasonably sized circular speaker and can be designed with large magnets and an impressive XMAX. People hate on the 6x9s because they bought a cheap pair and it wasn't as good as a cheap circle speaker, but a 2 way 6x9 is an asset in the rear of a car and will no muddy up the sound stage with higher frequencies.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Don't listen to advice that tells you to mutilate your car in any way. Do it right or don't do it.

Learn to cut properly and you mutilate nothing.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by speedjunkie_g35

If you are going to call a question you disagree with crap advice the least you could do is know what you are talking about. The shape of the speaker has little/nothing to do with its efficiency

Most oval speakers are coax variety and the tweets in most coaxes are junk and the frequency division is lacking at best. This gives the oval speakers a bad rep. A high end 6x9 with a quality tweet in either separate or coax form with a good outboard crossover can sound great. It can also flat own a 6.5" round speaker in terms of midbass by virtue of significantly increased cone area. The problem is that quality oval speakers are few and far between. If the speakers are the same other than shape the difference is going to be minimal.

Plus speakers closer to ear level will sound better than speakers aimed at your elbows.

If you cut the deck right it costs you only the price of the speakers, just cut the back cover correctly and it's not a problem
Old 11-11-2011, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Cap'N Chronic
From what I am reading, rear speakers in EG hatches was a dealer-installed option. So if your car currently has NO speakers, it looks like you can cut a hole in the panel where the speakers are supposed to go, and the brackets to mount the speakers are behind it.

Way to quote & trash the later post only btw
Old 11-11-2011, 10:12 AM
The Grumpiest

Learn to cut properly and you mutilate nothing.
The trunk cover is NOT meant to have speakers installed in them.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

exactly... there is spots for speakers already and there is plugs for it no need for cutting!
Old 11-14-2011, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

And yet it still works.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:58 AM
The Grumpiest

And yet it still works.
For you and for anyone that doesn't mind cutting holes in something that doesn't have them in the first place. I have more respect for my cars than that.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

And yet it still works.
and yet you F*ck up a perfectly good trunk cover for no reason and halfass your speaker installation
Old 11-14-2011, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Wrona
and yet you F*ck up a perfectly good trunk cover for no reason and halfass your speaker installation
First you don't **** up the trunk cover it works exactly the same as before, and does the same thing as before, I've seen it and it works fine. But I can see not wanting to cut holes in the trunk cover if you (not you personally) don't know how to cut it properly or because of the visual. Or was there some other reason it "****s it up"?

A halfass speaker installation that costs nothing , sounds better and if done properly isn't an issue. If cutting holes in panels to install speakers is so halfass then the manufacturers wouldn't include templates for cutting holes for mounting with the speakers.

You could make a new trunk cover and mount the speakers in that, it will sound better than speakers pointed into passengers elbows would that be wrong and halfass too?
Old 11-14-2011, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

For you and for anyone that doesn't mind cutting holes in something that doesn't have them in the first place. I have more respect for my cars than that.
I want to install a sink in my kitchen countertop but the granite didn't come with a hole in it. I would get a hole cut in it, but I have more respect for my house than that.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:50 PM
The Grumpiest

I want to install a sink in my kitchen countertop but the granite didn't come with a hole in it. I would get a hole cut in it, but I have more respect for my house than that.
Self-serving illogical statement. If you get a granite countertop that doesn't come precut for a sink that makes you stupid, not crafty.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah thats just stupid in itself all the granite in my and my fiances kitchen was precut for our sink i think you're just a retard...
Old 11-14-2011, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Self-serving illogical statement. If you get a granite countertop that doesn't come precut for a sink that makes you stupid, not crafty.
Apparently the majority of people who have granite countertops are stupid. It's standard practice to not precut. Most granite countertops are cut on site because you risk breaking a countertop with the hole already cut during transport and installation...
Old 11-14-2011, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Wrona
yeah thats just stupid in itself all the granite in my and my fiances kitchen was precut for our sink i think you're just a retard...
It's so stupid that it's rarely pre-cut for the reasons above as well as because you don't know what sink the customer will have to install so you can't really cut it before hand. However I bet you have an undermount sink - which is the type of sink that can be installed on a pre-cut, top mount the hole has to be larger and the granite will break with a larger pre-cut hole.
But I'm retarded because your granite was precut, and you disagree with me.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:10 PM
The Grumpiest

This thread has degenerated to nonsense. I apologize to everyone for contributing to it's downward spiral.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:15 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Dude, what the **** does granite have to do with a civic!?

Round speakers normally sound better, however, some of the higher end 6x9's can deffinetly blow some round speakers of the water.

With that said, my 6x9's are louder, however my Infinity 6.5's sound a lot better.

My buddy's old hatch had 6x9's in the cover, they sounded like total ****! There was no bass. They weren't cheap *** speakers either. He later put the speakers in the Qp covers as they should be. And the SQ improved ten fold. Also, no one was even in the rear seats.

Putting speakers in the cargo cover, is a total and complete hack. They were never meant to hold speakers.

Quick Reply: Speakers