Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Spark Plug question

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 04:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark Plug question

I pulled my spark plugs out yesterday and the electrodes were very gray. Also, on almost all of them, the screw part was black.

The reason I pulled them out is because lately i've been having shitty gas mileage. ~250mpg on a full tank were before I was getting 300+. Also, randomly my car has trouble starting. I will turn the key and it will take 4+ seconds for the engine to turn over. I've been told that my starter is going bad.

Should I replace my spark plugs and is it possible that they're causing those problems.

Thanks.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You should give your car a tune-up
Old 10-30-2007, 05:32 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: (cjk95delsolsi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cjk95delsolsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You should give your car a tune-up</TD></TR></TABLE>

Could you possibly be a bit more vague? Define "tune-up" for me, thanks.

Anyways OP can you post nice pics of the spark plugs so we can see them?
Old 10-30-2007, 05:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Spark Plug question (meagainsttheworld)

how old are spark plugs and wires and fuel filter?...and also it could be your main relay or starter..
Old 10-30-2007, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Could a bad relay or starter attribute for bad gas mileage? I am aware of the fact that there be multiple things messed up. The tips of the spark plugs were really gray.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:08 PM
Darth ModerVader

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (meagainsttheworld)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by meagainsttheworld &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Could a bad relay or starter attribute for bad gas mileage?</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, that wouldn't be the issue. Regardless of the condition of the plugs, why not just replace them? You can get a complete set of NGK coppers for around $10.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:14 PM

Default Re: Spark Plug question (meagainsttheworld)

i think your plugs are normal but if you are looking for better gas mileage a simple tune-up includes changing your plugs, plug wires, dizzy cap n rotor, fuel filter, n air filter. the black u describe on the plugs is maybe jus carbon build up over time which is normal as long as theres not too much that closes the gap
Old 10-30-2007, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

your plugs sound like the look just like mine. I know my battery is dying, but that isnt really an issue.

From what ive been able to tell that is usual wear.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I wish this could be narrowed down to a single issue. I'm not so worried about gas mileage as I am with the starting problem. I don't want it to not start one morning when I either have to go to work or school.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:11 AM

sounds like u have a bad starter but i would check your battery connections first clean them if u have too
Old 11-10-2007, 04:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B18C5-EH2)

Define "tune-up"? I mean who doesnt know what a tune-up is. If you go to autozone right on the main windows of all there stores say give your car a tune-up today and list everything for a tune-up. Define tune-up. lol
Old 11-10-2007, 01:23 PM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cjk95delsolsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Define "tune-up"? can you be any more retarded. I mean who doesnt know what a tune-up is. If you go to autozone right on the main windows of all there stores say give your car a tune-up today and list everything for a tune-up. Define tune-up. lol</TD></TR></TABLE>

Look I said DEFINE tune-up, not tell me what some lame Auto-Zone lists for a "tune-up."

Why don't you leave the tech topics to people who know what they're talking about, okay? You give some lame Auto Zone commercial "give your car a tune-up" reply, and I'm going to call you out on it - simple.

Some people think an air filter, plug wires, and spark plugs constitutes a "tune-up" but that's retarded.

Now off the top of your feeble little head, tell me what you think a "tune-up" is.

By the way my original post contained much more offensive, insulting remark in it because I can't stand ignorant people posting generic replies to tech topics, then making fun of people who call them out on it. Lucky for you a moderator was doing his best to keep the forum clean when I typed this!

Old 11-17-2007, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So it's not my starter.

I'm staring to think it's my ignition switch?

If i turn the key, sometimes it doesn't start, doesn't turn over nothing. Sometimes when I turn the key it waits a few seconds and then turns over. Sometimes it turns over just fine.

Any ideas?
Old 11-18-2007, 02:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thats sounds like it could be your starter, the solenoid could be going out.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cjk95delsolsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thats sounds like it could be your starter, the solenoid could be going out.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I took it to AutoZone and it tested fine for everything.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

+1 or you can always do the tune up like you said, I'm sure a new timing belt would fix the problem if you follow what he says...???

I was going to say new fuel pump, but now your starter is sounding horrible. Soooo yeah, but get that checked most def and then if it's not perfect that's where I would look next.

About what you said earlier, wishing that it was just one define problem, yeah troubleshooting is fun for a little while... not really =blows lol
Old 11-18-2007, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Willis32b)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Willis32b &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">+1 or you can always do the tune up like you said, I'm sure a new timing belt would fix the problem if you follow what he says...???

I was going to say new fuel pump, but now your starter is sounding horrible. Soooo yeah, but get that checked most def and then if it's not perfect that's where I would look next.

About what you said earlier, wishing that it was just one define problem, yeah troubleshooting is fun for a little while... not really =blows lol</TD></TR></TABLE>

haha, why post if you dont have any help at all?

op, why dont you try to replace the starter and go from there. Starters arent too expensive so it wouldnt be any great loss if it turns out to not be the problem right?
Old 11-18-2007, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JdelMsolG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JdelMsolG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

haha, why post if you dont have any help at all?

op, why dont you try to replace the starter and go from there. Starters arent too expensive so it wouldnt be any great loss if it turns out to not be the problem right?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah I did lol, I was lettin him know where to look next, jeez. I had a starting problem too, although I don't know if in the begining it was the same as mine(gas pump) or has been the starter the whole time. When you try to start your car does pumping the gas pedal make a difference?? Just curious.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Once again,

I took the starter out and took it to AutoZone. It passed all the test. So the Starter cannot be the problem.

Thanks.