Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Which spark plug is better?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which spark plug is better?

i have a d16y8 and was wondering which is better, ngk platium or ngk iridium?
Old 04-04-2009, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Which spark plug is better?

i would go with the stock plugs, you really won't find any kind of performance gains from the different plugs.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im running the iridiums. no notisable difference.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anything other than stock is a waste of money on a stock engine.
Old 04-05-2009, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the stock ngk v groove plugs are the best and they are only like 2bux each
Old 04-05-2009, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

NGK V-POWER FTMFW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But in all honesty, they are the best plug to run. ZFR6F-11 IIRC.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I run Iridium IX's on mine.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Seriously, just get the NGK V-Power plugs. You're absolutely wasting your money or anything else. Time and time again I've had guys try to tell me that because they're running an 8 dollar plug that their car gets way better gas mileage or gains more power, but they're full of ****. The NGK V-Powers are what the car was built on and I'd be damned if you're gonna out engineer Honda's employee's with your iridium plugs.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:22 PM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by The_Honda_Guy
NGK V-POWER FTMFW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But in all honesty, they are the best plug to run. ZFR6F-11 IIRC.
It's the ZFR5F-11.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Eran
It's the ZFR5F-11.
You bastard.

Is it the B18 that uses the 6F's? I thought one of the Honda motors used the 6F's...
Old 04-05-2009, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by The_Honda_Guy
Seriously, just get the NGK V-Power plugs. You're absolutely wasting your money or anything else. Time and time again I've had guys try to tell me that because they're running an 8 dollar plug that their car gets way better gas mileage or gains more power, but they're full of ****. The NGK V-Powers are what the car was built on and I'd be damned if you're gonna out engineer Honda's employee's with your iridium plugs.
on some part of this statement i say your right but saying this " I'd be damned if you're gonna out engineer Honda's employee's with your iridium plugs. is to much cuase they not building the car with spark plugs in mind. and the ones they used is cause they one to used the cheapest one that would work fine with the car. cause they just trying to get profit. but if your running stock then u should run stock but if not then i would run iridium plugs.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

In Theory...better spark plugs will help gas mileage by helping your Volumetric Efficiency

For example, lets say in a perfect world, you put in 1 part fuel, 1 part air and get 2 parts product. that would 100% VE.

However, a lot of cars stock or not, dont burn 100% of the fuel injected into the engine hence wasting fuel. Its why some cars back fire, too much unburnt fuel.

Thats why when honda designed the FiT engine they basically built a better D-Series. The new L15 in the Fit is 100% VE, they say that is due to its dual spark plug design where it burns 100% of the fuel injected instead of whatever percentage our D's burn or whatever.

So while it wont net you any more HP, you might see a miniscule gain in MPG's. If you consider at idle, you're doing 800 rpm, and each cylinder has to fire, lets ay 95% VE. well think of how much fuel per cylinder that is x4. and theres your fuel saved.

however...its all theory. Im not saying buy them or not, but how many times are you gonna change your spark plugs.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I get free **** from autozone. i tried just about any plug and let me tell u the worst plug was the Bosch platnum 2's. after 40 miles of driving bad miss fires. i could amagine someone paying for them expensive plugs and going through that. and the best plug id say is the Autolite Copper core. i ran 4000 miles and not a single miss fire i took em out and they were still new looken.

i also use some performance E3's diamond tip plugs when i go to the track. they work well as long as im haulin ***. if i drive in low RPms it starts to miss fire.

Copper core all the way. NGK's are great to.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sixfourkiller
on some part of this statement i say your right but saying this " I'd be damned if you're gonna out engineer Honda's employee's with your iridium plugs. is to much cuase they not building the car with spark plugs in mind. and the ones they used is cause they one to used the cheapest one that would work fine with the car. cause they just trying to get profit. but if your running stock then u should run stock but if not then i would run iridium plugs.
If you haven't noticed, a lot of the guys running forced induction are still using the NGK V-Power spark plugs, just in a colder plug but it's the same style as the stock plug. If there were gains to be had from the iridiums I'm sure they'd be running them. Also, you can't gap the iridiums worth a **** which also sucks, especially for forced induction setups.

You don't think Honda builds the engine with spark plugs in mind? If they didn't give a **** they'd throw whatever they had into the thing. Careful consideration is taken when building an engine. If they wanted to try and build cars the cheapest they could then why would a lot of the newer cars be running platinum plugs? It's because they built the car to run specifically on them.

I've run the NGK V-powers in nearly all of my import cars and have yet to find a plug that performs better or lasts longer. This includes Mazdas, Toyotas, Hondas, Nissans, etc. If you can show me specific MPG gains or dyno gains from using the iridium plugs instead of the coppers then by all means do it. And btw, 1-2 MPG or 1-2 HP does not count. Those numbers are small that any little thing could cause that effect.