Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

SPAL Power Window Conversion Part 1

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The ultimate SPAL Power Window Conversion How-To...with pics!!!!

I should have the pics back up tonight.

I just got done with my SPAL power window conversion on my 97 Dx...and it was pretty easy. Hardest part was running the wires through the door boot and into the car and wiring up th switches. I used these switches

in the center console. The switches were only 4 bucks a piece, as opposed to 25 for the pair from SPAL, and these don't require relays. Heres my how-to...

Remove door panel

Pull back vapor barrier
[img][/img]

Pick out the appropriate crank shaft adapter from the kit. On a civic it should be #9. Slide it over the end of the crank shaft
[img][/img]
[img][/img]

Now you have to pick out the drive gear adapter. I used a combo of two of them to get it to reach and fit snugly against the door.
[img][/img]

At this point pull out your motor assembly

You need to attach the triangular shaped mounting brackets to the ends (two opposite each other) on both the motor end and the crank end.
[img][/img]

Now we mount the assembly. I put the crank end on first and then swung the motor over to where it fit best. I found that the best spot was directly horizontal from the crank. The two drive cables will fall on either side of the armrest bracket. Attatch it to the door with the supplied self-tapping screws.

Thats all there is to mounting the drive assemblies. Now you need to get the wires to the cabin.

On civics there is a single boot/grommet between the door and the body. Detach the door end from inside the door. Reach back and detach the body side as well. I had to use a coat hanger attached to the wires to fish them through. This was a pain. Once you get them through the boot, fish them through and under the dash. Theres no real way to explain this, you just have to do it.

After all that I put on the crank hole cover. The kit comes with a template that shoes how large of a hole to cut...I used a xacto knife for this. Once the holes cut, slip the mounting cup in and attach the spring clip from the back side. Then just slide the cap on.

[img][/img]

SWITCH wiring...

See the above switches to see which ones I used. I mounted my two switches in the center console, whichmakes wiring a little easier.
[img][/img]

You will have two wire coming off each motor for each window, then you will have the power supply wire and the ground. I tapped into a switched wire under the dash and also the ground. These six wires (power, ground, and two leads from each motor. I ran up under the center console to the switch locations. The switches I had have 5 wires coming off of them. Via trial and error I figured out which wire was which. Thw switches had the following colors; Red, green, Red/white, Black/blue, and green/white. The connections are as follows: Red and green to the two wires off the motor (doesn't matter how they connect, the window will work either way), the red/white and black/blue wires are both grounded, and the green/white wire is connected to the 12v source.

[img][/img]
These switches pop right into the blank spots on the center console with just a little bit of the hole showing because the corners of the switches are rounded.
[img][/img]

Thats it! Easy as pie. Please let me know if I left anything out. I'll get some pictures of the motor mounted to the door later this week.

The windows operate smoothly and pretty quickly. I'm really impressed with the kit and the ease of installation.

Anybody thinking of doing this it's really easy once you get the door panel off and see how everything mounts up. Hit me up with questions if you got em.

Modified by undertheradar at 5:49 AM 4/1/2004

Modified by undertheradar at 5:53 AM 4/1/2004

Modified by undertheradar at 4:25 AM 4/7/2004

Modified by undertheradar at 4:27 AM 4/7/2004

Modified by undertheradar at 4:28 AM 4/7/2004

Modified by undertheradar at 4:48 AM 4/7/2004

Modified by undertheradar at 4:50 AM 4/7/2004

Modified by undertheradar at 6:18 PM 7/20/2004
Old 03-31-2004, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: SPAL Power Window Conversion Part 1 (undertheradar)

how much did it cost? should have just went oem
Old 03-31-2004, 04:02 PM

Default Re: SPAL Power Window Conversion Part 1 (soundbomber)

The kit was $80 bucks.

Why should have I gone OEM? I wanted the switches in the center console and wanted to keep MY doorpanels, and I don't have the time or money to be digging through the junkyard. SPAL has been around forever, and for the money it cant be beat.

Damn, why does somebody always gotta bring a brotha down?
Old 03-31-2004, 04:04 PM

Location: City of fakeJDMs but their vT3s HiT H3ll4 L0uD...., usa

nice i got a gsr arm rest and have spaces for those too but dont know how to do it...maybe your how-to-do will help me...

Old 03-31-2004, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thats sweet. Cant wait to see the finished product! Does the kit include little fillers for on the door where the crank use to be?
Old 03-31-2004, 04:13 PM

Default Re: SPAL Power Window Conversion Part 1 (NoBottleJustThrottle)

Yeah, it does come with those....I've only got the cap on one door till I drill the hole on the other. They do stick out a liitle farther than I'd like (looks like a tweeter), bout it still looks good. I should have the switches by this weekend, so I'll post up the finished product then.
Old 03-31-2004, 04:17 PM

I am going to be running new speaker wires through my doors and that "boot" I think, the tube and whatever between the door... how did you get it to run through? just push push push? how did you get it it? in my 2000 EX, it is almost impossible to approach it from the inside of the car, but maybe behind the door pannel? I ono, anyways, how did you run the wires through?
Old 03-31-2004, 04:20 PM

Default Re: SPAL Power Window Conversion Part 1 (CooBlueDAB)

That part was a bitch! Especially on the passenger side. I used a length of clothes hanger wire and taped the wires to the end and pushed it through. I disconnected both sides of the boot to do this. It was a tight fit to work my hand in there, but it worked. For the passenger side I had to remove the glove box to reach back to where the wires come through.
Old 03-31-2004, 04:22 PM

Default Re: SPAL Power Window Conversion Part 1 (CooBlueDAB)

Hmm, I've got a 96 DX and I would be interested in doing this. Where can you get this kit from? Did you have to source any parts from a junkyard, and was everythig in this kit? What exactly is needed to do the whole thing? details man! Can't wait to see pics.
Old 03-31-2004, 04:23 PM

omg the glove box that works? thank you that will help an unbeliveable amount...
Old 03-31-2004, 04:34 PM

Default Re: SPAL Power Window Conversion Part 1 (CamLS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CamLS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hmm, I've got a 96 DX and I would be interested in doing this. Where can you get this kit from? Did you have to source any parts from a junkyard, and was everythig in this kit? What exactly is needed to do the whole thing? details man! Can't wait to see pics.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I bought the kit off a guy on JDMCivic.com, but you can get it anywhere...ebay, a1electric.com etc...

They sell two universal kits, he one I got is the higher end model with a more powerful motor and the ability to roll up the windows manually if need be with a hand crank.

The kit comes with everything you need...it's basically an adapter that connects to the crank rod and then attaches to the motor. Then you just wire it up to switches and itsdone. It comes with EVERYTHING you need, except the switches, which you can buy seperately. I'll write up a how-to once it's done and I see that it actually works. :D
Old 03-31-2004, 05:22 PM

Did you buy the kit from me?
Old 03-31-2004, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (K20_Rey)

Excited to see this write up
Old 03-31-2004, 06:36 PM

Hey there! Yep...it was yours.

It went in surprisingly easy. Just waiting for my switches to wire em up. Thanks again
Old 03-31-2004, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sweet, i have had the spal power window kit on my 92' for about a year now...

VERY easy installation, and a GREAT product, my motors arent slowing down AT ALL, i love it!
Old 03-31-2004, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SpoonFedHatch)

I wish I had power windows Please post pics
Old 03-31-2004, 07:55 PM

Cool, I am glad everything went fine. Make sure you get spal switches so you don't have to ghetto rig anything. Keep us posted!!!
Old 03-31-2004, 08:15 PM

I'm actually not using SPAL switches...theyre too expensive and require the use of relays. The ones above are 4 bucks a piece and can be wired directly to the motors. Should be a pretty sweet set up.
Old 03-31-2004, 08:51 PM

Default Re: (undertheradar)

Bump for How-To aprt one!

I'll add the other picyures after I pull the other door panel off to put on the crank hole cover.
Old 03-31-2004, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

very nice how much weight does it add?
i might have to get myself one of them
Old 03-31-2004, 10:06 PM

Default Re: (H22A EG6)

I would guess no more than a pound total.
Old 03-31-2004, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

where did you tap the power for the motor?
Old 04-01-2004, 06:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (H22A EG6)

the ENTIRE kit (motors, switches, and some wires) tipped my scales at 2.5lbs....wtf is 2 pounds? PLUS no more reaching over to roll down your passenger window...priceless lol

my entire kit went for $80 shipped brand new off ebay a year ago
Old 04-01-2004, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SpoonFedHatch)

please post pics of the finsihed product asap!
Old 04-01-2004, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DC8811)

can you take a pic of the completed setup in the panel? with the arm attached and all?

Quick Reply: SPAL Power Window Conversion Part 1