Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Spacers!!! (For hood)

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 07:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spacers!!! (For hood)

Anyone know what kinda of spacers u "racers" use for ur hood? I want mine to pop up too! =P
Old 04-03-2005, 08:02 AM

Default Re: Spacers!!! (JaHnAbOi)

We use the carbon fiber stuff for the light weight it's good stuff
Old 04-03-2005, 09:29 AM
Darth ModerVader

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JaHnAbOi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Anyone know what kinda of spacers u "racers" use for ur hood? I want mine to pop up too! =P</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ordinary flat washers that you can find at any hardware store.
Old 04-03-2005, 01:41 PM

might want to think about getting longer bolts too
Old 04-03-2005, 01:49 PM

Default Re: Spacers!!! (Big Red 211)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Big Red 211 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">We use the carbon fiber stuff for the light weight it's good stuff</TD></TR></TABLE>

Carbon fiber hood or washers? If you mean washers..........in the grand scheme of things, whats a few ounces worth of washers going to matter?
Old 04-03-2005, 03:36 PM

Default Re: Spacers!!! (jlacoy82)

Well in the grand scheme of things a few grams off every part on the car will add up. That is why you will see some race cars with holes drilled in the gas, brake, clutch pedal. Holes drilled into the seat brackets, hood & door brackets. Missing bolts or only half the bolts originally needed in unimportant stuff. That type of thing. Yea each one by it's self is stupid, but when you add them up it make a slight difference.
Old 04-03-2005, 03:43 PM

Also it was partially a joke too. But seriously you could use aluminum washers. But you'd have to do it to about every bolt on your car to make it worth while. But hey, I'm just rambling on here cause I dont' have much better to do. Plus I'm sure someone will go do some of these things to there car so it's also helpful.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:22 AM

Default Re: Spacers!!! (Big Red 211)

Interesting... well okai, washers I knew that. But recently I saw that one guy had some oddly looking "washers." They were bright yellow and it seemed to me that they were of cushiony state. Would they be plastic? or something of that matter? And plus, what looks good guyz? Any suggestions?
Old 04-06-2005, 11:25 AM

is this just for looks or does more air get in there or what?
Old 04-06-2005, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Spacers!!! (e jay one)

What kind of spacers are you talking about? Where are you going to put them again? And why?

Just trying to figure out what's going on here...
Old 04-06-2005, 11:42 AM

Default Re: Spacers!!! (EJ1 wilcox)

i think what they are talking about is put them where your good mounts to the hinges so the back of the hood is raised up but i have no clue why.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:47 AM

it might help keep your engine cooler if it lets the air out...might also serve the same purpose as a rear diffuser. air goes in from underneath then goes out.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Spacers!!! (kun3racer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kun3racer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it might help keep your engine cooler if it lets the air out...might also serve the same purpose as a rear diffuser. air goes in from underneath then goes out.</TD></TR></TABLE>

So, does it really lower your underhood temps?

If it does I'm doing it... I need to figure out ways to cool it down in there... I pop the hood after boosting a few good times and my hood is super hot!

I need to get some exhaust wrap too and wrap my downpipe and dumptube...
Old 04-06-2005, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JaHnAbOi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Interesting... well okai, washers I knew that. But recently I saw that one guy had some oddly looking "washers." They were bright yellow and it seemed to me that they were of cushiony state. Would they be plastic? or something of that matter? And plus, what looks good guyz? Any suggestions? </TD></TR></TABLE>
I'm betting they were skateboard bushings. Someone awhile ago posted up a link that had a bunch of different colored ones, and that's probably what you were looking at. I'm not a skateboarder, so maybe they're not exactly "bushings," but I'm pretty sure what you saw was a skateboard part.
Old 04-06-2005, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ1 wilcox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Just trying to figure out what's going on here...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, what are you all going on about?

Old 04-06-2005, 01:08 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Spacers!!! (EX_AutoXer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EX_AutoXer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah, what are you all going on about? </TD></TR></TABLE>

He's talking about propping up your hood near the windshield like many of the JDM drift boys do. It won't do jack for your car other than make it seem like the panels don't fit.

Also, you can get nylon spacers instead of washers if you want something like was described higher up.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:13 PM

Default Re: Spacers!!! (Archidictus)

wont it work sorta like a spoiler? when the air rolls of the lip of the hood wouldnt it go under into your motor compartment? when stock it wont but there is a feature on the climat control where it lets fresh air in from right behind the hood under the windsheild wiper arms so yea it could work but what do i know.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:15 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by e jay one &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wont it work sorta like a spoiler? when the air rolls of the lip of the hood wouldnt it go under into your motor compartment? when stock it wont but there is a feature on the climat control where it lets fresh air in from right behind the hood under the windsheild wiper arms so yea it could work but what do i know.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Could work to what? Make your fresh air.........fresher?
Old 04-06-2005, 01:22 PM

no what i was trying to say is if you lift it up more there would be a space between the hood and where theres a gasket now to keep air from going in there. nevermind but ive seen this done to some really fast cars and some slow gay cars too.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">He's talking about propping up your hood near the windshield like many of the JDM drift boys do. It won't do jack for your car other than make it seem like the panels don't fit.

Also, you can get nylon spacers instead of washers if you want something like was described higher up.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't take this like I'm knocking your knowledge of cars, but it does serve a purpose. Have you ever seen those guys with muscle cars and the middle of their hood is huge all the way to the windshield and then you can see right into the engine bay? It's called a Cowl Induction hood. When air flows over the hood a small, for lack of better words, wave or circle of air builds up between the hood and windshield. Those hoods take advantage of this and that air is pulled into the engine.

At least that is what I have been taught. It might work a little different, but that is basically how they work.

But I do agree with you, doing it to a honda is just plain out stupid.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:25 PM

Default Re: Spacers!!! (SOHC4life 96)

^^^^^ thats what i was trying to say
Old 04-06-2005, 01:29 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC4life 96 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Don't take this like I'm knocking your knowledge of cars, but it does serve a purpose. Have you ever seen those guys with muscle cars and the middle of their hood is huge all the way to the windshield and then you can see right into the engine bay? It's called a Cowl Induction hood. When air flows over the hood a small, for lack of better words, wave or circle of air builds up between the hood and windshield. Those hoods take advantage of this and that air is pulled into the engine.

At least that is what I have been taught. It might work a little different, but that is basically how they work.

But I do agree with you, doing it to a honda is just plain out stupid. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Too bad the people doing this likely have the air filter in their bumper. It probably works great for a muscle car running a big blower which needs that hump for the hood to clear the blower, and is drawing air off the top of the engine via a filter or whatever those stack thingers are, as opposed to a Civic which A) uses a stock filter/short ram intake drawing air from the front of the engine bay, B) uses a cold air intake and is drawing air from the front bumper.....or...

C) Possible this may benefit ITB's??
Old 04-06-2005, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So, does it reduce underhood temps?

If it does, it would be worth while to do it on a turbo Honda where the underhood temps are a lot higher than they are stock...
Old 04-06-2005, 05:49 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ1 wilcox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So, does it reduce underhood temps?

If it does, it would be worth while to do it on a turbo Honda where the underhood temps are a lot higher than they are stock... </TD></TR></TABLE>On my cars I've taken the gasket off that goes on the back side of the hood. That lets the air from the engine bay get out while you are driving and setting at a stop light. So yes it should help at least a little.
Old 04-06-2005, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC4life 96 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
the middle of their hood is huge all the way to the windshield and then you can see right into the engine bay? It's called a Cowl Induction hood. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Induction my friend, honda's don't induct anything near the windshield.

Quick Reply: Spacers!!! (For hood)