Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

soundproofing a civic coupe

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default soundproofing a civic coupe

I'm planning on sound proofing my civic over spring break. I'm getting kind of tired of hearing my exhuast system rumbling. I want to just soundproof the trunk, and maybe the bottom of the floor. Will that be enough to drone out the exhuast sound?

I was wondering if anyone out there has the same setup as what I want to do.

Thanks
Old 02-22-2005, 11:11 AM
POE
Honda-Tech Member

what exhaust setup? and have u tried to queit your ehaust down yet? like maybe with a resonator. go to your local muffler shop and they will hook u up with one for like 50 bucks, get the biggest one they have.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:14 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (Vtecin94dx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Vtecin94dx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what exhaust setup? and have u tried to queit your ehaust down yet? like maybe with a resonator. go to your local muffler shop and they will hook u up with one for like 50 bucks, get the biggest one they have.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If that doesnt work, there is this product called Bquiet or something, also one called dynomat. Its like this sticky thing you put on the floor of the car and its a sound deadner. Be prepared to lay down some money though.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:15 AM
POE
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SOHC4life 96)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC4life 96 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

If that doesnt work, there is this product called Bquiet or something, also one called dynomat. Its like this sticky thing you put on the floor of the car and its a sound deadner. Be prepared to lay down some money though. </TD></TR></TABLE>
yeah i got a friend who used that dynomat, he said it worked well but he paid like 75 bucks for just his trunk
Old 03-01-2005, 10:45 AM

Default Re: soundproofing a civic coupe (mushu315)

I have a GReddy Evo Exhuast System.

I'm planning on putting my airbox back in over spring break to try and quiet down my car a bit.

I was planning on using something like... BQuiet or FatMat 100 sq feet for 100 bucks.

Old 03-01-2005, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

It'll help but it won't be a miracle...

I'm going to be doing this eventually... I plan on using whichever mat material and then HOSING it down with the rubberized spray...

I used the rubberized spray on my wheel wells and it reduced roadnoise a REDICULOUS amount...

The exhaust is pretty hard to drown out though...
Old 03-01-2005, 11:05 AM

I just installed some bquiet in my civic on sunday. (also have the greddy evo) I bought about 50sqft and covered the doors, trunk, wheel areas, under the rear seat, rear floor. I ran out before i could get the front floor area of the car. I also wasted a huge piece of the bquiet because i dropped it and landed sticky side down! (**** is reallllly sticky, it actually pulled some of the asphalt off) i think it helped some... but not as much as i thought.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:12 AM
cool guy name

Default Re: (jazz215)

This is funny, usually people wanna drop as much weight as possible, you guys are tryin to add more. I've got about 40 pounds of sound deadening material I ripped of my car this past weekend, you could heat it up and put it on your car.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (walker111)

I've heard of people buying that Egg Crate packing stuff and stuffing that in their spare tire area, in their body panels and **** like that. Cheap stuff too...
Old 03-01-2005, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ({PBA}Threat)

sounds like too much trouble to me. put the air box in and maybe get a quieter exhaust
Old 03-01-2005, 12:23 PM

Default Re:

You could also try aircraft sound deading. My neighbor (pilot) said its pretty cheap and lightweight (since it goes in planes).
Old 03-02-2005, 07:54 AM

Default Re: (jazz215)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jazz215 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just installed some bquiet in my civic on sunday. (also have the greddy evo) I bought about 50sqft and covered the doors, trunk, wheel areas, under the rear seat, rear floor. I ran out before i could get the front floor area of the car. I also wasted a huge piece of the bquiet because i dropped it and landed sticky side down! (**** is reallllly sticky, it actually pulled some of the asphalt off) i think it helped some... but not as much as i thought.</TD></TR></TABLE>

how many layers are u putting in?
I'm trying to do 2-3 layers... of 40 mm thick BQuiet/Fatmat or anything else

Old 03-02-2005, 07:56 AM

Default Re: ({PBA}Threat)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by {PBA}Threat &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've heard of people buying that Egg Crate packing stuff and stuffing that in their spare tire area, in their body panels and **** like that. Cheap stuff too...</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea, i was researching on that too... i heard it's not as effective and the price is about the same as the FatMat stuff.

I'll look into it again and maybe stuff the spare tire section with some of that stuff

Old 03-02-2005, 08:00 AM

Default Re: (John in NorCal)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by John in NorCal &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sounds like too much trouble to me. put the air box in and maybe get a quieter exhaust</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea, i was thinking that... but that'll cost a lot more.

I'll have to replace my muffler, my stock one is rusted and broke
then i'll have to ask the shop to install it for me.
plus i don't really like the dinky muffler look

ha

Old 03-02-2005, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have the dyno matt stuff in mine and it seems to work pretty good. I have the DC exhaust also..
Old 03-02-2005, 08:54 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (mushu315)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mushu315 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I'll have to replace my muffler, my stock one is rusted and broke
then i'll have to ask the shop to install it for me.
plus i don't really like the dinky muffler look

</TD></TR></TABLE>

If your just putting an exhaust on for looks, go back to a stock muffler. An exhaust isn't going to add that much power to an untuned engine, if any at all. If anything, it'll just make your car that much more annoying to people you pass by. I don't mean to be a spoil-sport, but I would consider upgrading my entire system (i.e. headers, piping), before putting an exhaust on, first because you save on cutting and welding the pipes, and second because you'll actually notice a little more of a power gain with an upgraded exhaust system. Just my .02.

BTW: I have Dynamat "Extreme" all throughout my car, and it's still loud as hell. No amount of Dynamat or sound proofing material is going to stop you from setting off car alarms with that exhaust. Get a silencer if your going to get a can-style exhaust.

Good luck, man.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:55 AM

Default Re: (jeef84)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jeef84 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

If your just putting an exhaust on for looks, go back to a stock muffler. An exhaust isn't going to add that much power to an untuned engine, if any at all. If anything, it'll just make your car that much more annoying to people you pass by. I don't mean to be a spoil-sport, but I would consider upgrading my entire system (i.e. headers, piping), before putting an exhaust on, first because you save on cutting and welding the pipes, and second because you'll actually notice a little more of a power gain with an upgraded exhaust system. Just my .02.

BTW: I have Dynamat "Extreme" all throughout my car, and it's still loud as hell. No amount of Dynamat or sound proofing material is going to stop you from setting off car alarms with that exhaust. Get a silencer if your going to get a can-style exhaust.

Good luck, man. </TD></TR></TABLE>

hmm? i'm trying to keep sound from coming into the car, not leaving.

it's fine if my exhuast sets off car alarms, i just want to drone out my exhuast from the inside as much as I can.

and yea I agree with u on muffler bit, i know it doesn't add that much HP/Torque, but my stock muffler is rusted and broken.
Old 03-02-2005, 12:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I Peel and Seal'd most of my interior and stuffed the cavities with wall insulation and it helped alot blocking out the road noise. As for the exhaust drone, it didn't really help much. Maybe it's because I can't hear all the road noise and all I hear is the exhaust
Old 03-02-2005, 12:07 PM

dynamat's not meant to quiet down your exhaust...work on your exhaust and the air box before you go wasting $ and time on dynamat.
Old 03-02-2005, 12:14 PM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (SOHC4life 96)

I bought Fatmat off of ebay for $130 shipped for 100sq/ft. That was enough to cover EVERYTHING. I mean everything, trunk, floor, door panels, wheel wells, firewall, roof, everything. My car is pretty quiet now.
Old 03-04-2005, 02:47 PM

Default Re: (litterbox)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by litterbox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I bought Fatmat off of ebay for $130 shipped for 100sq/ft. That was enough to cover EVERYTHING. I mean everything, trunk, floor, door panels, wheel wells, firewall, roof, everything. My car is pretty quiet now.</TD></TR></TABLE>

what was ur setup?
Old 03-04-2005, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

get a CTR, sell your current. Why bother putting the exhaust on if you dont want to hear it? the weight from the sound proofer will nix any gains
Old 03-04-2005, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I agree, you might as well get a quieter exaust rather than waste the power increase in weight gain due to insulation...
Old 03-04-2005, 09:46 PM
* B A N N E D *

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Re: (BeavisB16)

hey Beavis, can ya gimme some more info on this aircraft sound damper? How cheap? Where to get it? Where to get more info on it?
Old 03-05-2005, 05:52 AM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mushu315 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
what was ur setup?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Setup, as far as what is concerned?

Quick Reply: soundproofing a civic coupe