Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Someting new in my EG4 VTi

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2001, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Someting new in my EG4 VTi

finally got and installed my ZEX 59300 cam on my d15b
from butt dyno seems that after vtec, it really starts to make power, down below, seems little weaker or the same, need more time, to get to know it....also will go on a dyno very soon as well so we'll see some real numbers...

as far as Zex service , the cam got there in less then 3 days....

I am using stock springs and retainers, also valve setting of for intake 0.008 and exhaust of 0.010, which seems to make alot of noise....

also after measuring my JDM d15b cam it seems that its very aggessive as well

Old 12-18-2001, 08:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Someting new in my EG4 VTi (eg6ajk)

i can't wait till you get it on the dyno....
Old 12-19-2001, 03:49 AM
Trial User

Woohoo, been waiting to hear somebody really give good numbers with these cams, I have yet to see a dyno with these...just heard a billion good things bout them..
Old 12-19-2001, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you dyno'ed stock yet!?!
Old 12-19-2001, 07:36 AM
Trial User

Hppy that you got that cam, now it will really pull. Let's just hope no more cops around your area . I am still taking those remember, I tried calling you a few times but your cell is off.
Old 12-19-2001, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Someting new in my EG4 VTi (Spade)

fairly stock (H/E/ECU) 117whp and 100lbs of torque, no intake or anyother work....
check my website: http://www.geocities.com/gtssport/

yeah i had my cell off, cause i was very busy....we can hook up, maybe on thursday or friday
Old 12-19-2001, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

how much did you pay for it, if you don't mind me asking, thanks
Old 12-19-2001, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Someting new in my EG4 VTi (ihaterice)

the cam was $293.00US shipped to Ohio
Old 12-19-2001, 09:12 PM
D Tranny Guru

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

But you in Canada?????
Old 12-19-2001, 10:54 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Someting new in my EG4 VTi (Mista Bone)

zex cam on sohc huh?? why dont u get another b16? or even b18?? i mean i give props to u guys tryin to build up ur sohc but honestly i dont see the point. maybe if ur gonna just spray it or throw a greddy kit on it, then coo, but really cant get too much from a sohc, just me .02
Old 12-20-2001, 03:43 AM
New User

thats weird. In import tunner the dyno for the street cam showed a pretty big jump before vtec kicked in. Do you think that has to do with the different grinds of the cams. Like the street cam is more mid range power with the street/strip cam is more high end power? Cant wait to see the results from the dyno. Good luck!

Troy

By the way the last guy to respond... Your a jackass!
Old 12-20-2001, 04:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default hmmm

MistaB: my buddy who some family in Ohio, ordered it for me...

EJ: as fun as B16As are I never will reach the full potential due to $$$ spent on parts, I had B16A, in the last days it put out over 160WHP and about 115lbs torque...but thats past...would I ever go back?? no unless it was the same price way....It was fun it was quick, but so is this...

halive: actually the problem sort of got fixed to the point for now, basically after running for about 2-3hrs, the cam, finally settled in and needed further valve adjustment this time much tighter....now its quiet, got the lowend back, but top end simply rocks....
the other problem is that the 1.5l block is 1/2 tooth off with a 1.6l cam, so its about 5 degrees ret., which as mista bone pointed out would equal low end decreasing and top end simply increasing.....

also for those who, think that building a 14 second d-series 1.5l is stupid, all I can say i'll be laughing....also the money spent on the project as right now, is about $800US, that includes LSD tranny, engine, new axles, ecu chipping, header, cam gear and the cam...

still $199US more to be spent....next on the list intake, maybe an EX/Si intake manifold, more tuning, + ligtened flywheel and maybe shaved head and some home p&p...
Old 12-20-2001, 12:57 PM
Trial User

Default Re: hmmm (eg6ajk)

By the way the last guy to respond... Your a jackass!
that i am thank you!!

ajk ur rite, for those budget conscious, ur buildup sure is well worth it. wow only 800 bux spent so far, not bad at all!!! since i figure u do more tracking than drag race this setup should be pretty good for ya. good luck!!
Old 12-20-2001, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Someting new in my EG4 VTi (ITRinEJ1)

haha ...cmon' don't hate upon the SOHC engine!

Adrian --

FF Ryan has a delsol. when it had it's D16Z, Ryan had the priviledge to guinea pig his car for a Super Duper street ZEX cam test. I dunno if any of you remember that issue (few months back). He made some pretty good gains off that cam with cam sprocket tunage.

1st run--
stock cam/HKS airfilter/exhaust system/NGK ignition wires= 118whp

2nd run--
untuned zex cam /HKS airfilter/exhaust system/NGK ignition wires= 121whp

3rd run--
zex cam + BBk tuned cam gear, HKS airfilter/exhaust system/NGK ignition wires= 125.9whp

so yah..it makes power.

[Modified by Katman, 2:16 PM 12/20/2001]

[Modified by Katman, 2:18 PM 12/20/2001]
Old 12-20-2001, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Someting new in my EG4 VTi (ITRinEJ1)

haha don't hate upon the SOHC engine!
Old 12-20-2001, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Someting new in my EG4 VTi (Katman)

EJ:
yeah the sohc vtec is mostly for the local autoxing series, i found that the raw power of the b16a sucked on a tight course, as well put me in a modified class were i finished almost dead last against the turbo miatas and corvettes
also with b16a I couldn't even get far enough in the 2nd gear to make any power....the highest speed ever on course was about 75km/h at most....which peak power of the long gear d-series tranny and motor...sweet!!!!

katman,
thats funny cause thats the only super street issue I have, I never thought it was one of your buddies....thats cool....

also people stop hating d-series, its FF SQUAD approved....if only, I could convince you (Katman) to go d-series a whole new revolution would begin....he is an inspiration to many...its funny, cause everyone who is into Civic or Teg here in Ontario (Canada that is), always says, katman this, goldie that, and so on.....they all want to be like you and your buddies...so I say you know I actually have spoken to Katman and brekekex (Tom), actually met him and talk to him not to long ago...(thanks for t-shirt, (JDMhondaparts), man the number of peeps who stopped me, and asked me if i bought from there).....so they say you got some new pics of his BS2, (don't worry Tom, showed me the pics, its really nice, but they not for everyone...) I mean its funny how you are an idol too many who never met you...you blur out a thing about d-series watch out, cause the prices and trend will develop....

Old 12-20-2001, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Someting new in my EG4 VTi (Brian*Black99Si)

i guess its a small world.....man i guess, this the new hybrid board .....things just died with the new updated board....many peeps moved on, got tired of locash and the **** rule....still enjoy DPs great buys, if only i lived in the US...
Old 12-20-2001, 10:04 PM
New User

Just wondering but what is the gain in power from the cam comparable too? (like its like putting on a cai, header whatever). Iam just wondering cause Iam gonna be getting that cam pretty soon and am really excited. Everyone seems to be saying it really adds some punch! Just wondering but you said you could feel the gain most in the upper rpms. Did you rais your rev lim cause isnt vtec only from like 5500 to 7200? By the way isnt springs and retainers recommended for that cam? You have an cam gear right, what kinda and what are the setting? One last question does anyone know what zex cam was tested in import tunner? I heard it was the street cam? O yah and really interested in the dyno with the cam now!!! Take care

Troy
Old 12-20-2001, 11:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i guess its a small world.....man i guess, this the new hybrid board .....things just died with the new updated board....many peeps moved on, got tired of locash and the **** rule....still enjoy DPs great buys, if only i lived in the US...

this is my main board too it seems like. especially now since i cant seem to log into the new hybrid server (knowing my password would help)
only problem i have here is using these dang IM's they dont seem to work right on my comp.

whats up with brekekex thomas? i havnt seen him on icq for like 6 months it seems like.
btw adrian can you keep an eye out for some 88/89 crx corners for my friend. he would like to get some...

edit: oops forgot what i meant to say originally... your D15 is coming along nice. i still cant decide if i want to just stick with my D15 or try messing around with ls/vtec considering a mount kit is probably almost the same cost as the built D15 (im thinking shaved head - dc header - Y8 intake/b series tb - shaved flywheel...)
i just wish the crane sohc were as cheap as the zex now. or else if zex started to make a non vtec cam... also i wish i could find a good deal on sohc zc trans.. lots of wishing for me this xmas

[Modified by tylerspec, 8:08 AM 12/21/2001]
Old 12-21-2001, 05:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Someting new in my EG4 VTi (tylerspec)

halive: since i chip ecus, I have one of my programs, also did some testing and dohc vtec programs such as Skunk2 (4800vtec), seem to make a huge difference on the motor....just check out my website

tyler:
why not go with a sohc vtec, they are very cheap, also with a ZC sohc tranny you will need a intermideate shaft...which i guess won't work with a 1.5 block.......and you can actually get a cam, if you go with sohc vtec too...also i'll be sending you something (you have a PM6 right???), i have it all ready, just need to drop it in the mail....as far as the corner, sure i'll go and pick some up maybe in a week or so....when i go pick up my new shocks...Teins suck ...

brian: I could imagine his driving....Tom, is crazy, he picked up a 4wd civic wagon (6spd) with a ZC....yeah...damn thing just goes sideways, in his hands...I got in once, and thats about it....no more for me....just ask him about the old 4wd wagon.....at least he has it on tape...

[Modified by eg6ajk, 6:32 AM 12/21/2001]
Old 12-21-2001, 06:13 AM

Nice to see some props to the SOHC guys. Always have been a SOHC guy. SOHC projekt in the works. Nice work eg6ajk-
Old 12-21-2001, 06:18 AM

Default Re: Someting new in my EG4 VTi (BenenEK)

Anyone out there interested in ZEX products. Hit us up. Landspeed Racing. SOHC cams $275.00 shipped. For all those B-series guys-your cams run $475.00 shipped for the pair. Todd@Landspeedracing.com
Old 12-21-2001, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Someting new in my EG4 VTi (BenenEK)

you mean zex sohc vtec cam (59300) for $275 shipped...I might need two more, very soon...
Old 12-21-2001, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

(this all coming from a non-conceited point of view)

heh, yeah I dunno what this affect is that I have some on internet people.....it's mind boggling. I hear about people who say ' yeah...i know katman' and I don't even know half the people that say that!!!! haha ....
I think they do is email me and ask a question, I respond back to them and theeeen, they think 'yeah I know katman' haha... weird...

well since people like to follow other people -- maybe we should all have a sip of this spiked fruit punch heh..

...I think the new trend I'll **TRY** (hehe) to start is a non-honda movement. Get people into Nissans This Honda thing is too blown up and outta hand not to mention the western hemisphere's growing theft issues. You see any Nissans on the top 10 list of cars that get stolen? nope!

cheers

[Modified by Katman, 10:35 AM 12/21/2001]
Old 12-21-2001, 10:00 AM
Trial User

Hey man, why would you say something like "Teins Suck", when you are selling them to me? Just curious, if I should know something before picking them up from you.

Quick Reply: Someting new in my EG4 VTi