Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Sometimes starts.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 Sometimes starts.....

So first off I got this car about a year ago and it is a 99 Honda Civic Hatch with almost everything SI on it including engine. I had a wreck and had my AC removed and a alarm system installed. More recently, and the reason of this post, my car wouldnt start one day and it just made a spinning noise. I thought right away that it was the starter because I have a brand new optima yellow top. So i replaced the starter myself and all spark plugs and wires. No change to the start but during the spinning noise it would putter and go back to the spinning noise. I took out a spark plug and did the test and had no spark. But the rotor in the distrib wasnt spinning either. After banging on injectors and and what not we hooked up my truck to the battery to elimate that possiblity. Still no start but after fluttering the clutch and the key the car started. Couple days of good starts went by and now its back to no start with a new starter, battery, plugs and wires. I was told that a clutch inhibitor switch and my alarm system are the best guess on what my current problem but if anyone has anything else I would be greatful.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Sometimes starts.....

Have you ruled out fuel?
Old 07-20-2012, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have not but it does have fuel in it. I will go buy some starter fluid and spray in the intake as soon as I can. Also i forgot to mention that I was able to push start it when it first started but now i cant.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So I bypassed the ignition and the gears don't spin but the starter did power. Battery is tested so still need to check fuel
Old 07-21-2012, 05:01 PM
EK9

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check and clean your engine grounds
Old 07-23-2012, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Any certain ground? Sounds like you had a simular problem but my car knowledge isnt that great. I will print out a diagram and check them. My degree is in Computer Networking so I should be able to find everything.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Grounds: Battery(-) to chasis
Trans to chasis
Valve Cover to chasis

Upon checking for fuel, and clutch switch... check the ignition coil and rotor behind distributor cap.

Also, there is a green plug in the back of the alternator that gets corroded easily... get some white wine vinegar and an old toothbrush and clean that puppy out... Make sure to disconnect battery(-) when doing anything electrical. I was having a starting issue and traced it to alternator wiring harness, green plug was in baddddd shape. Hope this helps.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok thanks a ton and the clutch switch is what we thought it was for a while but since I jumped the starter from the battery that elimiates that...or so I thought. And just to be clear about some last posts when i did the bypass the starter had power but the cam gears didnt spin at all!! I have video but a lightning storm knocked out my network card on my computer.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Before you go spraying anything, get in the car, close the windows, and click the key over to "on." You should be able to hear the buzz of the fuel pump priming the lines.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Try taking a wire and run it from the positive connection and touch it to the small plug on your starter. That should tell you if its something under the dash at least. Thats what i did but now im tempted to check my ECU.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by StreetsideStig
Before you go spraying anything, get in the car, close the windows, and click the key over to "on." You should be able to hear the buzz of the fuel pump priming the lines.
Yes I do here it prime just fine. The engine light comes on and goes off after 2 seconds.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A friend of mine said I shouldnt spray anything in my intake. I was wondering if he is right or if it is ok to spray starter fluid in my intake? I dont want to mess up my car any further.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have attempted many differant tests on my car and nothing has become the answer to my problem. I have 1 last thing to check and thats the starter and flywheels connection. This may take some time but if anyone has had this problem please feel free to advise an novice such as myself.