Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Some thermostat information :)

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 06:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Some thermostat information :)

Everyone seems have the debate about thermostats. well here is my thoughts and experiences with thermostats.

Mugen/Spoon thermostats. basically the same thing. both are very good thermostats. most likely one of the best ones ive had. i maintained a average of a 170 degree's with these thermostats. So mugen and spoon both get a BIG BIG

OEM honda thermostats. Very good thermostat. runs 18.84 at honda. Had mine in for 6 months and it did a very good job. maintained a temperature between 170-180 degrees. Likes to creep everynow and then but drops immediately. When it was mated with the stock radiator it began to overheat on long city runs or track waits in the stage lanes. when it was mated with my KOYO Teg radiator it overheated after about 3 hours of driving.

Old school drill trick. I was told to take a regular thermostat and drill 3 1/16th holes in it and it would allow coolant to still pass through when the thermostat is not open. this trick worked for a while but didnt last long. took the car about 5 mins to reach operating temperature at idle. when driving it would stay on the cooler side around 160-170 degrees. so if your on a cheap budget just take out the stocker and drill a couple of holes in it.

Advanced Auto/ PepBoys/ Autozone/Napa thermostats. IMO are a piece of ****. they never held a decent temperature. the car never ran cooler than 185 degree's with any of these thermostats. i would never recommend them at all. id rather drill into my stock thermostat. i try to stay away from these as much as possible.

Running no thermostat. I have been running no thermostat since i put in my koyo radiator. and i was really amazed. everyone said it would over heat really quickly.well they were wrong . My car has yet to 170 degree's it will heat up to normal spot when idleing for about 7 minutes. But as soon as u start driving it will go straight to cool. and running cooler never really hurt anyone. 90% of drag guys do not use a thermostat. i know several v-8 guys that do not have there thermostats in that drive there car daily.

Well this is all i have to say on the topic of thermostats. I hope this helped some of you out there. and i have Tested all of the following for at least 2 weeks. and im not just yanking your chains here. this is all 100% true information.

JDMLifeStyle
Old 07-09-2004, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Some thermostat information :) (JDMlifestyle)

Originally Posted by JDMlifestyle
OEM honda thermostats. Very good thermostat. runs 18.84 at honda. Had mine in for 6 months and it did a very good job. maintained a temperature between 170-180 degrees. Likes to creep everynow and then but drops immediately. When it was mated with the stock radiator it began to overheat on long city runs or track waits in the stage lanes. when it was mated with my KOYO Teg radiator it overheated after about 3 hours of driving.
Never had that problem at all. On boosted car on stock cooling systems and H22a swapped civic with stock cooling system. What coolant % you running?

Old school drill trick. I was told to take a regular thermostat and drill 3 1/16th holes in it and it would allow coolant to still pass through when the thermostat is not open. this trick worked for a while but didnt last long. took the car about 5 mins to reach operating temperature at idle. when driving it would stay on the cooler side around 160-170 degrees. so if your on a cheap budget just take out the stocker and drill a couple of holes in it.

It is Ghetto, but works. Take a big screwdriver and a hammer and punch the center part in. It will work the same as his way, just ghettoer (sp?).

Advanced Auto/ PepBoys/ Autozone/Napa thermostats. IMO are a piece of ****. they never held a decent temperature. the car never ran cooler than 185 degree's with any of these thermostats. i would never recommend them at all. id rather drill into my stock thermostat. i try to stay away from these as much as possible.
That should be said about most of the parts that come from the "discount" auto parts stores.

everyone said it would over heat really quickly.well they were wrong . My car has yet to 170 degree's it will heat up to normal spot when idling for about 7 minutes. But as soon as u start driving it will go straight to cool.
There is a reason for that. Your coolant does not have enough time to be cooled by the air (or lack of). When you start driving, You have more air than your fan can push (faster you go, the more the air). In very hot weather, idling your car for a long period time, it WILL overheat.

and running cooler never really hurt anyone.
Yes, it will. IF it runs cold enough, it will have the same effect as starting up a cold motor, just it does not warm up (You have to have a badass cooling system to run it that cold, though).

90% of drag guys do not use a thermostat.
Yea, but they only 1/4 mile at a time and have time to cool off. ****, some to not use cooling fans and/or on closed nosed cars.

i know several v-8 guys that do not have there thermostats in that drive there car daily.
Yea, it matters the cooling system. But most of the time, it is good to run a thermostat. I have seen and fixed a overheating problem at idle by reinstalling a thermostat in the motor.

You kinda knew this post was coming, no hard feelings.
Old 07-09-2004, 06:48 PM
Ditto

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

::