Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

some help with upgrading intake on D16y8 head

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default some help with upgrading intake on D16y8 head

Ok so currently i have a JDM D15b with my Y8 head on it. im looking into upgrading the intake side of the head. i just currently got a cold air intake and was looking to upgrade my throttle body and intake manifold. now heres to the questions...can a throttle body be to big? i want to eventually turbo it and am just upgrading sections slowly as i go. im starting with intake manifold, tb ect....then building the head ect. but for now it will be all motor. i was looking at throttle body and see i can get just about any size all about the same price, i saw 70mm 68mm 66mm ect. would it hurt to run a 70mm all motor? any pros/cons? and same for turbo would it hurt or help? i wont be putting the tb on til i get a intake mani anyways so im not worried about port matching the y8 intake mani. any opinions on intake manifolds? ive been thinking about getting one of those OBX ones for the time being just to upgrade it some then maybe running the Skunk2 when i go turbo. any one know much about the OBX intake manis? i cant find alot on them. anyone know if the edlebrock is any better than the Skunk2? i see its like 100-200 dollars more. would it be better to just run a B series tb on a aftermarket intake mani other then upgrading the tb? any opinions on Tb spacers? have some people telling me get one then i have other people telling me it isnt worth the money. any help in ths category would be great! and also i do understand that i have to upgrade alot more before i can turbo im just trying to build on a budget. Thanks Guys!
Old 07-14-2012, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: some help with upgrading intake on D16y8 head

theres not much point in upgrading the throttle body. hook a vaccuum gauge up and drive the car. as long as you pull 0 lbs of vacuum at full throttle there is absolutly no restriction there.

intake manifolds are a different story, they won't necessarily increase power, but they can shift your power band higher or lower.

honestly i wouldn't do anything. just leave it alone, it runs and works properly. even if you plan on boosting it, you can get 300 hp out of it on stock intake.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Depends on how much your going to boost your engine because like the guy said you can still get a lot of power from stock parts if your evently planing a extreme build get the parts or daily driver jus keep it stock and put a turbo kit on it should run fine up 6 psi anymore you will need head apr studs and the tb spacer is to make the air go into a swirl effect and atomize the fuel in a spinning motion to maximize fuel ecnomony
Old 07-15-2012, 06:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Brent1289
Depends on how much your going to boost your engine because like the guy said you can still get a lot of power from stock parts if your evently planing a extreme build get the parts or daily driver jus keep it stock and put a turbo kit on it should run fine up 6 psi anymore you will need head apr studs and the tb spacer is to make the air go into a swirl effect and atomize the fuel in a spinning motion to maximize fuel ecnomony
i'm a girl silly haha
Old 07-15-2012, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

^ its ok, we wont hold it against you.

Just kidding
Old 07-15-2012, 06:10 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Brent1289
6PSI doesn't mean anything. Throttle body spacers? Don't even bother. It seems some of you are actually buying into the marketing hype.

OP. Define your end goals. It makes no sense to upgrade these items on a stock engine. You won't make any real power and in some cases you may HURT your "power" output if you don't plan on tuning for it. If your goal if to make more power then you only have the traditional two choices; boost or swap.

If you really are going to boost it, and aren't just pipe dreaming, then stockpile all your parts and do it all at once. Anything less is just a waste of time.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
6PSI doesn't mean anything. Throttle body spacers? Don't even bother. It seems some of you are actually buying into the marketing hype.

OP. Define your end goals. It makes no sense to upgrade these items on a stock engine. You won't make any real power and in some cases you may HURT your "power" output if you don't plan on tuning for it. If your goal if to make more power then you only have the traditional two choices; boost or swap.

If you really are going to boost it, and aren't just pipe dreaming, then stockpile all your parts and do it all at once. Anything less is just a waste of time.
I plan on Boostin this D series i got in it. nothing major maybe like 10-15 psi but its still a daily. I plan on finding a B series and wanna build and run that all motor. I wanted to do D series all motor but really found that u cant make the power like a B series so while i got this i wanna boost it and build another engine. I have another Y8 block in my garage and was thinking about building that just for boost but id really like to stay away from boost and just make a nasty N/A B. Just so many people running boost now a days id like to be different.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:33 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

"10-15 psi" means nothing. Power goals are what you need to set, as well as budget goals. 15PSI from a T25, a healthy stock motor could handle. 15PSI out of a GT40? Well, I'd love to see the video.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm still learning about the different type of turbos. Maybe u can help me out on this stock motor I'd only like to push about 10psi, at least 8, what would be a good turbo to run for the boost? What's the big hype about T3/T4 turbos?
Old 07-16-2012, 05:47 PM
The Grumpiest

As long as you keep talking "PSI" we cannot help you. Maybe go read the FAQs inteh forced induction forum.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

psi means nothing. sq.ft of air does
Old 07-16-2012, 06:04 PM
The Grumpiest

Exactly. Volume. CFM. Like I told another guy. Pick a horsepower number and work backwards from there.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hp # lets go with 200 i dont want nothing where i need a fully built block and head i want somethin simple that can out run most cars on the road...cars that arnt turbo'd
Old 07-16-2012, 06:15 PM
The Grumpiest

Read the FAQs in FI. I'm not going to even MENTION the links that are staring you right in the face.