Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

sohc ZC in 96 Civic

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sohc ZC in 96 Civic

Looking for some help guys, im kinda new to these newer hondas, I have only worked on 2nd and 4ths gens. My friend has a 96 Civic EX Sedan with the d16y8. Its getting kinda tired with 280k miles on it and the headgasket is leaking, overheats and the coolant looks bout like pure oil. So went to the local importers to see what they have. The have 2 3rd gen integra clips with sohc ZCs. Anybody know much about these, the ower says they are 96-00 integras so they should be OBD2 right?? How can I tell, what would i have to do to get one of these in his civic?? What kinda stuff do i need to look out for?? I looked at the ECU for one of the tegs and it was a small box bout half the size of my OBD0 ecus and said p76 on it if that helps. Thanks.
Old 06-03-2006, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: sohc ZC in 96 Civic (liquidoblivion)

ttt, come on guys, nothing at all??
Old 06-03-2006, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: chillin in that city called queen creek, but homes the atl

just get another d16y8 motor or its time for a b-series swap but that engine importer is trying to rip u off i have never seen a 89 and up integra come w/ a SOHC zc motor or any SOHC motor only civic and if the motor is motor is a 96 and newer obd2 SOHC zc then its a vtec w/ the 2 stage vtec i think not really sure
Old 06-03-2006, 09:11 PM

Default Re: sohc ZC in 96 Civic (street dreams)

Imo just buy another Y8 they are cheap and you will not need to rewire anything plug and play is better.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:13 PM
Tru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

or rebuild the motor, then boost it.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: sohc ZC in 96 Civic (street dreams)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by street dreams &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just get another d16y8 motor or its time for a b-series swap but that engine importer is trying to rip u off i have never seen a 89 and up integra come w/ a SOHC zc motor or any SOHC motor only civic and if the motor is motor is a 96 and newer obd2 SOHC zc then its a vtec w/ the 2 stage vtec i think not really sure</TD></TR></TABLE>
rip me off eh?? how so?? how many JDM tegs have you seen? maybe you should know what your talking about before you open your mouth. 94+ JDM base integras came with SOHC non-vtec ZCs. They are pretty much like a d16y7. I can get the whole swap with 40k miles for $800, thats engine, accessories, tranny, axles, harnes, ECU. Please explain to me how this is a "rip-off." Where can I get a low mileage d16y8 motor for less?
Old 06-04-2006, 03:28 PM

LOL. Integras have always had DOHC.
Old 06-04-2006, 04:15 PM

Default Re: (ozzeran)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by liquidoblivion &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
rip me off eh?? how so?? how many JDM tegs have you seen? maybe you should know what your talking about before you open your mouth. 94+ JDM base integras came with SOHC non-vtec ZCs. They are pretty much like a d16y7. I can get the whole swap with 40k miles for $800, thats engine, accessories, tranny, axles, harnes, ECU. Please explain to me how this is a "rip-off." Where can I get a low mileage d16y8 motor for less? </TD></TR></TABLE>

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1575176
Over here seach before you spend a dollar. You have no Idea what you are talking about.
Old 06-04-2006, 04:16 PM

Default Re: (johnny_tdi)

another thing anyone can say a motor has xxxmiles question is can they prove it NO.
Old 06-04-2006, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dont y8 motors go for about 500? Also from what i heard ZC's are craps
Old 06-05-2006, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by johnny_tdi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">another thing anyone can say a motor has xxxmiles question is can they prove it NO.</TD></TR></TABLE>

YES, the engine is in a clip. I looked at the guage cluster myself. The engine you linked to is in Indiana, even if i could get the engine and get it to my house for $500. Its wortht the extra $300 for the accessories, tranny and axles. Yea people like to say ZCs are crap but then have nothing to back it up. ZCs aren't very different from their american counterparts. There is a ZC that is just like a d16y8 and one thats just like a d16y7.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:31 AM

Default Re: (liquidoblivion)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by liquidoblivion &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
rip me off eh?? how so?? how many JDM tegs have you seen? maybe you should know what your talking about before you open your mouth. 94+ JDM base integras came with SOHC non-vtec ZCs. They are pretty much like a d16y7. I can get the whole swap with 40k miles for $800, thats engine, accessories, tranny, axles, harnes, ECU. Please explain to me how this is a "rip-off." Where can I get a low mileage d16y8 motor for less? </TD></TR></TABLE>

94+ integras came with 1.8 B-series motors. This included the following

B18B - LS/RS/GS
B18C1 - GS-R
B18C5 - Type-R

ZC motors don't come in 1.8. They come in 1.6. They're pretty much just like any SOHC VTEC d-series with less fuel economy and better torque. People claim ZC's are crap because they came in 86-89 integras. Thats given a motor over 15 years old that includes technolgy that might be considered outdated by todays standards.

and as for JDM base integras. They too came with 1.6 ZC motors that barely any people know about because its so unpopular. Think about it, how slow is your 2300lbs ex couple with a 1.6. Now add about 300 more lbs to the car to make it almost even with an integra.

1.6L, 4 cylinder, SOHC ZC
120 PS (118 HP) @ 6400 RPM
14.7 kg-m (106 lbs-ft) @ 5000 RPM

The d16y8 has roughly 129 hp and 107 lbs-ft.

So you're actually downgrading. Not to mention the ZC is JDM and may not have all the emissions control stuff we have on USDM so you'll end up in a bigger mess. Many JDM motors did not come with USDM issued emissions components guys.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:28 PM

Default Re: (Toyo Proxes RA-1 Rubber)

There is a ZC that is just like a d16y8 and one thats just like a d16y7.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Prove this. I have never heard of a single cam ZC vtec.
I have heard of a single cam ZC non-vtec that came in the 1989-1991 crx as a base engine.

You have no idea what you are saying/buying do you
Old 06-05-2006, 09:35 PM
dotmichael to you

the EF guys know a lot about ZCs...its a popular swap as its pretty much a USDM D16A6 with a more aggresive cam.

There are three versions of the ZC, one of which is DOHC...all are D series.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:42 PM

Default Re: sohc ZC in 96 Civic (. M i c h a e l)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by . M i c h a e l &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the EF guys know a lot about ZCs...its a popular swap as its pretty much a USDM D16A6 with a more aggresive cam.

There are three versions of the ZC, one of which is DOHC...all are D series.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This guy claims that a their is a ZC, that is the same as a d16y8. No Chance all ZC motors are non vtec.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

since you dont live in CA (damn laws) get a swap bro...you can get a b16 for cheap bro....or a LS...
Old 06-06-2006, 05:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by johnny_tdi
[/B]

Prove this. I have never heard of a single cam ZC vtec.
I have heard of a single cam ZC non-vtec that came in the 1989-1991 crx as a base engine.

You have no idea what you are saying/buying do you
You sir have no idea what you are talking about. Ya know just because you have heard or haven't heard about something doesn't mean you know everything about it. So the ZC lesson begins.

1st gen DOHC ZC - brown valve cover - came in 86-87 JDM Integra - will bolt directly into 1st gen CRX Si and 3rd gen Civic Si - will not bolt directly into 2nd gen CRX or 4th gen Civic.
2nd gen DOHC ZC - black valve cover - came in 88-89 JDM Integra - will bolt directly into 1st gen CRX and 3rd gen Civic, same as brown valve cover, however, it uses electronic advance distributor like 88-89 USDM Integra D16A1 - 1st gen CRX Si and 3rd gen Civic Si have vacuum advance distributor, so, to use it on 1g CRX or 3g Civic, you will have to do a lot of wiring changes.
3rd gen DOHC ZC - black valve cover - came in 88-91 JDM CRX Si and Civic Si - bolts directly into 2nd gen CRX and 4th gen Civic.
4th gen DOHC ZC - black valve cover - came in several different models of JDM cars 92 & up - is OBD1 - has Cylinder Position Sensor inside the distributor and will bolt directly into 92-00 Civics
SOHC ZC - basically the same as D16A6 (little more horsepower) - will bolt directly into 2nd gen CRX and 4th gen Civic.
SOHC VTEC ZC - basically the same as D16Z6 - OBD1 - will bolt directly into 92-00 Civic
OBD2 SOHC ZC - basically the same as a D16y7 came in the 96-00 JDM base integras.

links-

Here are two OBD2 SOHC ZC on ebay, this is the one like a d16y7, these came in INTEGRAS PEOPLE, LIKE IT OR NOT.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...QrdZ1

Here is a SOHC ZC VTEC(the one that doesn't exist)

Here is a link to PGM-FI.org showing a list of ECUs, they don't have any OBD2 stuff here but if you look at the P76, look what it shows: P76: 94-95 OBD-1 JDM Integra (sohc zc)
http://www.pgmfi.org/twiki/bin...ilies

Last here is the ultimate proof that I do know what im talking about, some of you guys really need to look/read around this site. You can learn a lot about what engines came in what cars in Japan as well as all the crazy models Honda has there, they don't have here.
http://www.alljapanesecars.com...c=DB6

So there you go a 97 OBD2 Integra with a 1.6 ZC. I can run over to my importers shop and get some pics of the two front clips he has from these. He also has a busted ZC Vtec there i can get some pics of too, cause they do exist. Now I maybe wrong about the D16y8 thing, the vtec ZCs may have only been OBD1, so it would be like a d16z6, but there is a ZC with Vtec.

So i guess this will be my last question on honda-tech as it seems I have to answer more than EVER gets answered.

Originally Posted by johnny_tdi
This guy claims that a their is a ZC, that is the same as a d16y8. No Chance all ZC motors are non vtec.
No chance eh? Can i get an OWNED?
Old 06-06-2006, 06:45 AM

for me for you.
I thought the only single cam jdm vtec came as a d15b, and a d16z6.
I knew a single cam non-vtec was available as I bought a 91 si with that motor instaled.
Again sorry about that. But non are compareable to the d16y8. Non of these motors will directly bolt up in an obd2 cahsis without f*cking around with rewire this jumper harness that.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:06 PM
dotmichael to you

You sir have no idea what you are talking about. Ya know just because you have heard or haven't heard about something doesn't mean you know everything about it. So the ZC lesson begins. </TD></TR></TABLE>

thank you for posting all that. i jumped on here to say exactly what you just did and it was already done.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:14 PM

there are many more engine variants in Japan. hearing what exists from an American doesn't tell you much, now does it? There was a guy in the Integgy forum who bought a cheap DC2 shell and dropped in a D15B Turbo and people were giving him crap about it, but he knew that he could b/c by goly they existed in japan with the ZC integgys.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

JDM 94+ tegs did have a sohc non vtec as their base model or something.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:40 PM
GarageAlchemist

Default Re: (fast95eg8)

just buy a d16y8, you cannot switch to a obo car and keep it street legal. If the car was 1996 and up new smog laws plug into the obd2 reader.. you won't have a obd2 reader cause you won't have a obd2 ecu. you will fail smog, then they will wonder why, look at your engines vin or the block code, and fine you. tow your car, and you would be screwed.

Old 06-06-2006, 03:45 PM
dotmichael to you

Default Re: (fast95eg8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fast95eg8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">JDM 94+ tegs did have a sohc non vtec as their base model or something. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, it was 120 HP...came with an automatic and was all wheel drive.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:46 PM

due, take everyones advice buy another d16y8 instead of dicking around w/ all of these older outdated d-series... if you were swapping a crx or pre 92 civic this would be fine but since its new and not to mention a 4 door, putting an oldeer d eries in it is a poor investment IMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! jsut get a y8 for 500 and call it a day
Old 06-06-2006, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think the OP is the only one here that knows what they are talking about so this is directed at him, and onlly him.... dude, look for the oil pump mounted dipstick meaning not in the front, on the side where the motor mount is. secondly, there are obd2 zc's and D15bs for that matter. non vtec zc obd2 is IDENTICAL to a y7, and vtec zc obd2 is IDENTICAL to a y8. either way, if its the same obd as the car its going into just get it and use your intake manifold and no wiring mods will be needed. if you need more info on zc's or anything dont direct it to these fools who think they know, pm someone that does.

OH, and for everyone else, JDM tegs DO DO DO come w/ a SOHC, SO HAHAHAHAHA, all of you just got OWNED.

Quick Reply: sohc ZC in 96 Civic