Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

SOHC VTEC turbo vs. jdm type r swap, which one and why?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2002, 03:20 PM
civicman

Default SOHC VTEC turbo vs. jdm type r swap, which one and why?

i kinda confused about which one... I want the jdm type r really bad, but i hear it is a waist of money and i should just buy a turbo kit for my car.
rev high or go fast?
Old 10-10-2002, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: SOHC VTEC turbo vs. jdm type r swap, which one and why? (civicman)

it's not a waste of money if you want torque and type-r inside
Old 10-10-2002, 03:22 PM
big strong guy

sohc turbo = ghay though i hav seen some really nice setups, but i presume that most of the people that have them wish they went twin cam! eric
Old 10-10-2002, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

id go with the b18c swap. Much more potential.
Old 10-10-2002, 04:32 PM
New User

Default Re: SOHC VTEC turbo vs. jdm type r swap, which one and why? (Downeybear11)

go with the swap
Old 10-10-2002, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SOHC VTEC turbo vs. jdm type r swap, which one and why? (94civicx)

TURBO!! You could build a much faster setup with the sohc for the same amount of money. If you did a custom setup, instead of paying 3000 for a kit, you could probably afford to replace your internals with aftermarket pistons and rods and raise the boost even further. Or possibly a hondata. Not only would you be faster, but you would get the satisfaction of whooping up on dohc with an underdog sohc setup. The b18c5 would have more potential later on down the road though.
Old 10-10-2002, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SOHC VTEC turbo vs. jdm type r swap, which one and why? (rainmanEK)

sohc turbo = ghay though i hav seen some really nice setups, but i presume that most of the people that have them wish they went twin cam! eric

Not necesarily true, I owned some DOHC's already and i recently started building a crazy toyota piston powered d16y8 turbo set up, it should be interesting. I decided before I start blowing precious DOHCs start with the SOHC but we will see the outcome. Gotta try different things every once in a while.
Old 10-10-2002, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SOHC VTEC turbo vs. jdm type r swap, which one and why? (POLLO)

I think the first question that should be asked of you should be, What is the car going to be used for? Drag racing, autocrossing, road racing, daily driver? If you answer some of those questions, it can help us to give you a better idea of what we think.
Old 10-10-2002, 11:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SOHC VTEC turbo vs. jdm type r swap, which one and why? (96 SOHC VTEC)

Toyota piston? 4age? which pistons are you using, sounds interesting...
Old 10-10-2002, 11:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SOHC VTEC turbo vs. jdm type r swap, which one and why? (visi0n)

swap 2 cams over 1 ... more tuneablity (<--is that a word ? ) .. more potential ! I know you can make sohc's fast .. but the fastest sohc will still be slower then the fastest DOHC...
Old 10-11-2002, 07:22 AM
civicman

Default Re: SOHC VTEC turbo vs. jdm type r swap, which one and why? (96 SOHC VTEC)

daily driver
Old 10-11-2002, 07:24 AM

type r swap all the way. turbo is a headache.. and with the itr swap you get an lsd and everything
Old 10-11-2002, 07:48 AM

Default Re: SOHC VTEC turbo vs. jdm type r swap, which one and why? (rainmanEK)

True, but they certainly aren't "ghay", especially if you leave GS-Ts, ITRs, SiR h/b owners wondering why they got beat by a measley single cam coupe.

You are correct about one thing though, it would be much sweeter with a dual cam.

civicman: If I were you I would save the $1500 extra used on a C5 and get the C1 and use the rest of the money to build up the block. Later on down the road, when you have saved enough money get a 18G or T3/T4 and start smokin' serious sports cars.

[Modified by maxim, 11:47 AM 10/11/2002]
Old 10-11-2002, 07:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SOHC VTEC turbo vs. jdm type r swap, which one and why? (maxim)

DOHC all the way...never look back on the SOHC. I have been through 2 SOHC (D15B7 and D16Z6) in my car and I HATED both of them. They were both slow pieces of ****. I spent a decent amount of money on the D16Z6 and it was STILL slow...in my opinion, the only money spent on an SOHC should be the money you spend to rent an engine hoist to pull that worthless trash out of your car.

*Sorry if my opinions are a little harsh, but like i said, two SOHCs for me and I was not impressed with either*
Old 10-11-2002, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: SOHC VTEC turbo vs. jdm type r swap, which one and why? (b16a ferio)

Yea definatley get the B18C5. We have too many people jumping on the SOHC-Turbo bandwagon as it is and don't need anymore. I kinda like having the 'exclusivity' factor on my side.

Besides, for the same $6k you'll spend on a C5 swap + any bolt-on crap you toss on it, I'll make far more whp and nearly double your wtq, which wil only give people with open minds like us more reason to sit back and laugh when these close minded "DOHC ****'s" talk garbage about SOHC's.
Old 10-11-2002, 08:52 AM

Default Re: SOHC VTEC turbo vs. jdm type r swap, which one and why? (VTC_boost-less_CiViC)

Greddy td04-15G turbo on a stock 99 ex civic.

220hp and 190lb tourqe at 13psi to the wheels. hondata 2b. b18c5 has nothin on me.
Old 10-11-2002, 09:05 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: SOHC VTEC turbo vs. jdm type r swap, which one and why? (VTC_boost-less_CiViC)

Yea definatley get the B18C5. We have too many people jumping on the SOHC-Turbo bandwagon as it is and don't need anymore. I kinda like having the 'exclusivity' factor on my side.

Besides, for the same $6k you'll spend on a C5 swap + any bolt-on crap you toss on it, I'll make far more whp and nearly double your wtq, which wil only give people with open minds like us more reason to sit back and laugh when these close minded "DOHC ****'s" talk garbage about SOHC's.
Okay I'll take your post with the fact that some poeple on this MB are SOHC-retarded when it comes to their potential, and they just post "SOHCs are gay..." or whatever. The anti-SOHC talk is pure garbage and it gets on my nerves.

Let me say that an ITR swap is only $4,800.00 from http://www.hondamotorsonline.com , so it's not the $6,000.00 that you're quoting.

My ITR swap in my car has made 175whp and 123ft/lbs. of torque and it is 100% reliable. Not that turbos aren't, but you cannot tell me that a boosted SOHC motor will hold up like a 100% bone stock Honda-built motor.

My car runs 13.3@101mph with a 2.0 60-foot time. This is a stock ITR swap with only mods being i/h/e and a high flow cat.

I'm not about to say that boosted SOHC motors cannot beat up on my set-up, but they are more trouble than the ITR swap to begin with. A good turbo set-up will cost you more than just the money fot the turbo, manifold, wastegate, etc. Don't forget a good fuel delivery system and a good engine management and most importantly, TUNING so you don't blow your **** up.

Either set-up will be killer if done right, but if you're the kind of person who wants to merely jump in the car and go without any worroes then the ITR swap is for you.

Let me also add that the future potential is greater with the B18C5. I could easily make 220whp and well over 190ft/lbs. of torque on very conservative boost - like 6psi perhaps?

And don't tell me that you cannot boost an ITR motor.

There was a junkyard turbo set-up on an ITR at the last NOPI show from FLA. The guy had a rebuilt Chrysler LeBarron turbo, new manifold, used AEM intakes for piping, and a plastic AutoZone SAAB blow-off valve that was making 270whp and 240 toruq to the wheels. He spent less than $2,200.00 on the set-up including the ZDYNE stand-alone and tuning.

I really hope this thread doesn't turn into a bullshit flamewar.
Old 10-11-2002, 09:13 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: SOHC VTEC turbo vs. jdm type r swap, which one and why? (B18C5-EH2)

I kind of strayed away from the original question huh?

Which set-up would be quicker?

It depends on how much boost you run on the SOHC motor.

The B18C5 will make an easy 170+whp and 120+torque to the wheels. Agian this is a virtually STOCK motor without the fear of boost-related problems.

I'm not going to say which set-up is better though. Some make better results with their boosted SOHCs, while others blow the hell up on just 5psi.

In the end this topic's question is not really a good question. There are too many different factors to think of to give a conclusive answer.
Old 10-11-2002, 09:15 AM
jus f0 dekarayshunZ

type r
Old 10-11-2002, 09:16 AM

Finally, someone that understands that SOHC are not complete crap. They can be just as good as DOHC if not better. It just takes a bit more time and money to set it up right.

Either motor with either setup is great. It just depends on how long your looking to put time into and how much $$$ you want to spend on it. You could also through in another option, the h22
Old 10-11-2002, 09:22 AM

YOu have a good point but, lets say 6psi on a t3t4 with the itr motor. There will be so much lag that it really wouldn't be too fun to drive on the street.
I've taken my car to the auto-X and trust me even the smaller td04-15 sux on a course where 1st and 2nd are used. Another thing, a FWD hondas suck with anything more then 250hp or so because its really not streetable (torque steer).
I've been in a B16 crx and b18c5 hatch (Ceas). Those cars are quick no doubt but you really need to drive it like you've stole it to get the performance. With the smaller turbo, you get the leasure driving and still get the high end power. If drag racing is your thing, go for the T4 or the t3t4 hybird. They make the honda go fast but they're just too damn big for our motors. I'd rather take a fun to drive car where i can hit the powerband everyday. Sohc turbo is a inexpensive alternative for good everyday driving on and off the track. On the highway a B18c5 with intake, headers and exhaust would get walked on by a turbo single cammer. B18c5 is an awsome motor for what it is, no doubt. But the honda inflation has made it over priced, 4.5k or 5k for most. Too much hype not enough power.
BTW my car has been reving up to 8k daily abuse, oil change every 3k miles. Compression is still perfect and no blowby. Its all in the tuning.
Don't know how many people said this could not be done, 13psi daily on a stock single cam.
Old 10-11-2002, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was a junkyard turbo set-up on an ITR at the last NOPI show from FLA. The guy had a rebuilt Chrysler LeBarron turbo, new manifold, used AEM intakes for piping, and a plastic AutoZone SAAB blow-off valve that was making 270whp and 240 toruq to the wheels. He spent less than $2,200.00 on the set-up including the ZDYNE stand-alone and tuning.
That car was sick!

I saw the dyno sheet in person.

Old 10-11-2002, 09:32 AM

Default Re: SOHC VTEC turbo vs. jdm type r swap, which one and why? (94HybridEX)

used d16z6 $300bux
hondata 2b/3bar map/550cc injectors/resisterbox/255lph pump 1400bux (give or take)
eagle rods 550bux
je pistons 380bux
skunk valvetrain 800bux
Cryoled block 300bux
zex cam 300bux
venom intake manifod 600bux
used b16 throttle body 50bux
revhard turbo (t3/t4) 2700bux

dont' recommand these mods unless you have full racing coilovers, 4pot brakes and a rollbar

over 400hp to the wheels easy a SOHC for not much more then a ITR swap.
SOHC braging rights also

I'm sure you can make a B series even faster but you see the value in the SOHC?
not everyone can afford to hook up a twin cam

[Modified by VSM EXtasy, 6:35 PM 10/11/2002]

[Modified by VSM EXtasy, 6:44 PM 10/11/2002]
Old 10-11-2002, 10:27 AM
EEK
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SOHC VTEC turbo vs. jdm type r swap, which one and why? (VSM EXtasy)

YOu have a good point but, lets say 6psi on a t3t4 with the itr motor. There will be so much lag that it really wouldn't be too fun to drive on the street.
What the hell you talkin bout...evolutions black itr with a drag kit at 8 psi on street tires ran 12.8 with stock suspenion and thats with evo's tuning, which means not tuned..my boy had a turbo itr running 11.2's all day his killer gear was first...dont sleep on boosted b18c5 motors..there's one in vabeach hitting 10's

[Modified by EEK, 2:29 PM 10/11/2002]
Old 10-11-2002, 11:47 AM

Default Re: SOHC VTEC turbo vs. jdm type r swap, which one and why? (EEK)

Theres hardly any power till you hit 5k rpms on a Type R wiht a t3t4. yes i've ridden in one and drive a b16 drag turbo Si. They might make good drag racing cars but on the street it really sux. Besides the on and off behavior of a big turbo in a little motor makes it a horrible track car.

[Modified by VSM EXtasy, 11:17 PM 10/11/2002]

Quick Reply: SOHC VTEC turbo vs. jdm type r swap, which one and why?