Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

SOHC Vtec conversion w/ Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 07:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SOHC Vtec conversion w/ Turbo?

I have a D15B7 engine and i am in the process of doing the SOHC Vtec conversion. This summer i would like to piece together a turbo for it. One of my friends has told me if i want to get a turbo then i shouldn't get the Vtec conversion done. I would think that it would just boost the Vtec, and i know a ton of people w/Vtec and turbo but theirs came stock Vtec. So i just wanna know if i can get more out of the turbo w/ Vtec or would it be the same HP as if i didn't have Vtec?
Old 04-19-2006, 07:43 AM

Default Re: SOHC Vtec conversion w/ Turbo? (majinx4)

Of course you're going to make more horsepower, VTEC allows your head to flow better at high RPM rather than a non-vtec head, thus giving you better top end. I'm running an a6 block with a z6 head@10psi. I say, if you're gonna do a SOHC project might as well do it right.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: SOHC Vtec conversion w/ Turbo? (Firstoost)

i would say if you gann do it a mini me its a waste. but if you gettig a whole vtec motor too boost then go for it.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:48 AM

Default Re: SOHC Vtec conversion w/ Turbo? (djsire)

why is the mini-me a waste? It's cheaper than some vtec longblocks(Y8, Z6)
Old 04-19-2006, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you plan on boosting dont waste the money on the mini-me, which might give you 5-10 hp. put the money into tuning once the turbo is on. mini-me bumps compression which forces you to run less timing, less boost, more conservative maps, or all, which all reduce power, so dont waste the money on the mini-me if you are boosting soon.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:09 AM

Default Re: (schardbody)

Ok, Firsttoost you sound like you know wut your talking about cause you actuall have the turbo w/ the swap done.. but wut about schardbody? he sounds pretty convincing as well..
Old 04-19-2006, 09:20 AM

Default Re: (majinx4)

If you look for Bauley's mini-me writeup he tells everyone that it wasn't worth it.

If you want to go turbo I'd sacrafice the extra money and do a complete SOHC swap. They're relatively cheap and the D15 rods suck *****.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

mini-me is a good investment if you have alot of the parts needed, or can get them cheap. but IMO taking the money that would be used for the mini-me and putting it towards a good dyno tune after boost would be 100x better investment. maybe even throw a cam in for better top end if you feel like doing anything.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:35 AM

yeah, i say u swap it first. and then get the kit.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

why, boost what you have, if it blows atleast you didnt spend anything on the motor, and will have experience w/ boost before throwing it on another motor.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:44 AM

I'm just saying, the mini me isn't pointless, but i do agree that unless you have the parts already, or can find them cheap, then it may not be beneficial. PERSONALLY though, i think you should research boost first before you go ahead and just boost what you have....and to schardbody....where you said "at least you didn't spend anything on the motor". If he has a good tune and had put that motor together correctly it shouldn't blow period.

Old 04-19-2006, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

of coarse it shouldnt blow, in an ideal world no motor will blow, but in the real world all of them will at some point in time, and w/ boost the process is only accelerated. why spend $500+ for 5hp??? that same $500 spend on a dyno tune will yield more than 5hp garenteed. now if budget isnt an issue (i doubt thats the case or it would be a Bseries thread) then sure do the mini-me, boost it, dyno tune, all the goodies. just no point to spend money on useless parts.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:11 PM

Why even bother with a D-series? Just save up and do something worth doing. D-series have very limited potential compared to other motors, mainly B-series.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:13 PM

well in most cases yes, if budget isn't an issue then most do a B swap, but I enjoy being a little SOHC 1.6l underdog racer. But when this is done, you'll see me here at H-T alot more, because i'm putting a K20a in an eg hatch for next year's project.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:15 PM

Default Re: SOHC Vtec conversion w/ Turbo? (PhatBoy5015)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PhatBoy5015 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why even bother with a D-series? Just save up and do something worth doing. D-series have very limited potential compared to other motors, mainly B-series.</TD></TR></TABLE> Bahahahahaahah...:wipes tears from eyes: If you've got the money to put the etxra power a B will make over a D, to the ground, then maybe it's worth it, but when I see people going 400+whp in a D i think...why go B? I'm going K soon once the D is 100% done, but i think B series is becoming a fad of the past.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:07 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Just buy mine and eliminate the middle man
Old 04-19-2006, 01:16 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Firstoost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Bahahahahaahah...:wipes tears from eyes: If you've got the money to put the etxra power a B will make over a D, to the ground, then maybe it's worth it, but when I see people going 400+whp in a D i think...why go B? I'm going K soon once the D is 100% done, but i think B series is becoming a fad of the past.</TD></TR></TABLE>
So your saying D-series are the future? LOL. And you're saying a B-series costs too much, but a K-series is affordable? I think you have no idea what you are talking about.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PhatBoy5015 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
So your saying D-series are the future? LOL. And you're saying a B-series costs too much, but a K-series is affordable? I think you have no idea what you are talking about.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm D series for life for the 3 simple facts.
1) It came stock in my car!
2) If I create a crankcase oil level viewing window in my D series, I can go to a junk yard or my work, where I have 2 laying around and have less than a candy bar invested in them both, and put it back in my car in a matter of a few hours.
3) Not to mention, aftermarket parts are also a lot cheaper for the D block! (i.e. I payed $250 for a brand new ZEX Street/Strip cam for my D block as opposed to $500-$700 for some Stage I Skunk2 cams for the B banger)!

If I were to have a B banger in my car and creat a crankcase oil level viewing window, I would have to shell out another 1000-1500 on a new motor!

B series motor are also becoming harder and harder to come by as they are not offered in any Honda vehicles anymore!

Point proven!!!!!

D series is the way to go!!!!!
Old 04-19-2006, 01:46 PM

First of all i never said D was the thing of the future. second of all i never said i couldn't afford to DO a B series, i said i enjoyed being the underdog with a 1.6l SOHC. Get your facts straight before you start bad mouthing me.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Firstoost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">First of all i never said D was the thing of the future. second of all i never said i couldn't afford to DO a B series, i said i enjoyed being the underdog with a 1.6l SOHC. Get your facts straight before you start bad mouthing me.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Chill buddy, I gave 'em the facts!
Old 04-19-2006, 01:49 PM

Default Re: SOHC Vtec conversion w/ Turbo? (EX-T)

I know, i'm chill I just think homie shouldn't tell me i don't know what i'm talking about when all i do everyday research and work on honda's D motor in particular.
Old 04-19-2006, 02:37 PM

this is kinda back to the topic, but can you make a non v-tec engine, v-tec??
Old 04-19-2006, 02:40 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: SOHC Vtec conversion w/ Turbo? (Wonk Unit)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Wonk Unit &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">this is kinda back to the topic, but can you make a non v-tec engine, v-tec??</TD></TR></TABLE>

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=554053
Old 04-19-2006, 06:47 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Firstoost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">First of all i never said D was the thing of the future. second of all i never said i couldn't afford to DO a B series, i said i enjoyed being the underdog with a 1.6l SOHC. Get your facts straight before you start bad mouthing me.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You did say that B-series were a fad of the past, which insinuates that D-series are the future. And I did not bad mouth you, I just stated the obvious.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:39 PM

D and B are not the only series of honda motors. I was trying to hint towards the K.

Quick Reply: SOHC Vtec conversion w/ Turbo?