Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

SOHC turbo motor build up...?'s

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2004, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SOHC turbo motor build up...?'s

alright i have a question that might be out of pace but im askin anyways.

For all you guys who have done sohc turbo motor builds how much should i be lookin to spend to build a sohc motor for turbo, which would include sleeves, pistos and rods, bearing etc for the block and a mild pnp on the head with a tubor cam possibly zex or other. just tryin to get an idea of how much i should be lookin to get for a quote, i already know what its gonna cost for a DOHC but i got a SOHC layin around and was just curious.

FOR ALL YOU SOHC HATERS KEEP YOUR COMMENTS TO YOURSELF, I HAVE HEARD IT ALL, DROVE THEM BOTH...SO DONT NEED THE CRAP...SO DONT HATE CUZ THERE ARE MANY SOHC'S OUT THERE THAT WILL SMOKE YOUR DOHC, TRUST ME I KNOW

thanks for the help guys!!!!
Old 02-27-2004, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

quik prices on avg off my head:

bottom end:
rods - 300
pistons w/ rings - 400
sleeves - 750 to 1000 depending on who ya go through

the head I am not too sure, I know exospeed is doing a special for 895 shipped for pnp, valvetrain, 3 angle valvejob and a whole bunch of other stuff...best head deal I have ever seen
Old 02-27-2004, 09:07 PM

Default Re: SOHC turbo motor build up...?'s (OOsi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by OOsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">TOP RIGHT HAND CORNER... ITS CALLED A SEARCH BUTTON.

AND NOBODY IS INTERESTED IN HEARING YOU REP YOUR WEAK, SLOW *** SOHC. IF THEYRE SO GOOD, THEN WHY DO YOU HAVE TO DUMP A GRAND ON THEM TO MAKE THEM JUST AS FAST???????</TD></TR></TABLE>

just as fast as what?

BTW hair_rice: quick sol is pretty much right about the prices on the items he listed. and try searching the forced induction forum...good luck man
Old 02-27-2004, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

u obviously dont know much...like i said keep your dumb a** comments to yourself know one needs to hear them, this site was not set up for haters it was set up for tech help and what not, not for your personal flaming
Old 02-27-2004, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Re: SOHC turbo motor build up...?'s

Here's a good CHEAP way to do a decent turbo build for a Dseries headed down turbo lane...

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=267641

No sleeving neccisary guy runs like 18 psi I think.
Old 02-27-2004, 09:11 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by OOsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

as a dual overhead cam</TD></TR></TABLE>

u sound pretty doubtful about SOHC motors, but in your sig, you have a turbo D project? is that a DOHC or SOHC?
Old 02-27-2004, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SOHC turbo motor build up...?'s (Racerage1)

haha good stuff...i saw that do
Old 02-27-2004, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SOHC turbo motor build up...?'s (NonovUrbizniz)

hey that link is not workin...what was done to it?
Old 02-27-2004, 09:31 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by OOsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

only cause it isnt worth putting any real money into, why waste money on that when i can put it into my si?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

i agree with that. but thats no reason for you to hate on other people just because they have a SOHC and cant afford a swap.
Old 02-27-2004, 09:38 PM

i guess, but when you say aomething like "THERE ARE MANY SOHC'S OUT THERE THAT WILL SMOKE YOUR DOHC, TRUST ME I KNOW" you deserve whatever is coming your way!</TD></TR></TABLE>

haha...true, i didnt realize that. damn cocky honda owners...i swear...jk
Old 02-27-2004, 09:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't know about yall but with vtec on my side no one can stop me
Old 02-27-2004, 10:09 PM
* B A N N E D *

while im on that topic... have you ever seen what a stock 99-00 si will do to a 99-00 ex/dx coupe? they arent even in the same league.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

i have a 00 EX and i beat a 99 Si with my SOHC. Si's have more HP than a SOHC EX, but the torque levels are almost the same. i got him on the launch and the rest was history. i dont think the guy really knew to to drive tho...but ah well a win is a win.
Old 02-27-2004, 10:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SOHC turbo motor build up...?'s (hair_rice)

wtf is up with all the DOHC vs. SOHC bitchin? who gives a f*ck if your DOHC is faster than his SOHC, or your SOHC being faster than his DOHC. You will never be the fastest Honda anyway.
Old 02-27-2004, 10:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: SOHC turbo motor build up...?'s (ChkN)

ok- here comes the 3rd post in this thread that is relevant to the topic.
rods- eagle for like 300
pistons- je or arias...ive "heard" some bad things about the high silicon srp's -500 w/rings at most
sleeves- my finding show that d series sleeves are the same materieal but a lil thinner i think- either way, its possible to be over 300whp or say 15-18psi on stock sleeves.
bearings and gaskets, add like roughly 200-250 i think
id also add like an extra 100 bucks for random machine work somewhere in ther too.
the head- 500 bucks can get u a p&p 3 angle, ive seen them go in classifieds for that. then add a few more 100 for cam and vavletrain.
fuel and management is wehre alot of your money should/will go, so thats another easy 500, unless u do fmu, which is by no means recoomended for high boost. ok, thats what i have to say on thsi, sorry i didnt add it all up, but im beat tired and ahve to be up in like 4 hours. good luck
Old 02-28-2004, 01:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SOHC turbo motor build up...?'s (blackeg)

thanks for the quality info related to teh topic...but one question i ahve heard the same about the stock sleeves, where did you see that?
Old 02-28-2004, 02:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

comment on seeing heads in classifieds....personally I would never buy an engine built or stock from a individual....MAYBE a bussiness but how ya know that this "d16 long block fully built" aint gonna be an Ebay d16 junker which isnt even good enough to be a paper weight....my advice to you is if your gonna buy something pre-built try buying from a company OR make sure the person your gonna buy from has HELLA!!!!! vouches...thats alot of money to lose for a new stock head or what not -=80)
Old 02-28-2004, 05:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

only cause it isnt worth putting any real money into, why waste money on that when i can put it into my si?

while im on that topic... have you ever seen what a stock 99-00 si will do to a 99-00 ex/dx coupe? they arent even in the same league.

read the rest of my sig... ALL DOHC'S</TD></TR></TABLE>

dude you are a ******* tool. Stock 99-00si's are not fast...at all. Get the **** over it. I mean seriously...what do they run? 15.6...15.7? Damn that be mad jdm fast yO!

Modified by SOHC_MShue at 11:43 AM 2/28/2004
Old 02-28-2004, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey, well to provide you with something to investigate, try looking into dh-racing. They have d series shortblock builds for under 1500 i think. If you want to do it yourself, you can do like Ryan2000civic did and buy the **** yourself. He said it cost him about 1500 in parts. He was running pistons/rods and a blockguard.

Anyway, how much power are you trying to make ? Are you trying to see how much power you can squeeze out the D for fun or something ? I just wanna know what's your goals in hopes that we can find an alternate route for you that'll save you money but still achieve your goal.

D series powa !
Old 02-28-2004, 07:05 AM

Default Re: (SleepersOwn)

ZC Rods around $80-$130
Suzuki Vitara 1.6 L(single cams pistons) $80-$100
and boost that **** up!!!!!
Old 02-28-2004, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SOHC turbo motor build up...?'s (hair_rice)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hair_rice &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks for the quality info related to teh topic...but one question i ahve heard the same about the stock sleeves, where did you see that?</TD></TR></TABLE>
i believe it was on http://www.turbod16.com
if not, then its somewhere in the forced induction forum here/either archive or recent. id search it if its not on the other site.
Old 02-28-2004, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Destroying turbo ITR motors in Minneapolis, MN, U.S.A.

Oh God, don't get me started on the SOHC turbo vs. DOHC N/A debate. I'll start ripping you ************* apart.

SOHC powa
Old 02-28-2004, 08:00 AM

Default Re: SOHC turbo motor build up...?'s (SOHC_MShue)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC_MShue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

dude you are a ******* tool. Stock 99-00si's are not fast...at all. Get the **** over it. I mean seriously...what do they run? 15.6...15.7? Damn that be mad jdm fast yO!

Modified by SOHC_MShue at 11:43 AM 2/28/2004</TD></TR></TABLE>

Get em MShue!!!!

On topic: You should decide how long you want to keep the motor and how dedicated you are to a d series engine before you start spending money on things like rods and stuff. A few people on here achieve great results with the most minor modifications.. i.e ARP headstuds and a greddy 2mm headgasket (Turbo's best friend.). If I find the guy that has that radical turbo'd d in the high 200whp range.. you'll see what i'm talking about. Stock internals too.

Off Topic: Sorry... but if you weigh the money options, which ultimately turn into power opinions.. a D series outweighs a D series completely. Unless your car CAME with a B series motor ... you could put that 1200+ in cash into your D series motor for an all motor, Turbo I'd go though, and destroy plenty of people. :\ Unless you have 1500 to get a B series... D is the best way to go, i'd say. HX forever h0!
Old 02-28-2004, 08:57 AM

Default Re: (Luiyo)

i never heard of that build, more info please
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luiyo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> ZC Rods around $80-$130
Suzuki Vitara 1.6 L(single cams pistons) $80-$100
and boost that **** up!!!!! </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 02-28-2004, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SOHC turbo motor build up...?'s (boostincoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostincoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Oh God, don't get me started on the SOHC turbo vs. DOHC N/A debate. I'll start ripping you ************* apart.

SOHC powa </TD></TR></TABLE>
hahah crazy turbo ninjas
Old 02-28-2004, 09:59 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blackeg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">fuel and management is wehre alot of your money should/will go, so thats another easy 500, unless u do fmu, which is by no means recoomended for high boost. ok, thats what i have to say on thsi, sorry i didnt add it all up, but im beat tired and ahve to be up in like 4 hours. good luck</TD></TR></TABLE>

He wants this http://www.hondata.com/featuresboost.html

What are your power goals though. You can get away with spending about 500, and do the hack, and get away with around 250hp. With time and patience to make sure you're running the right map, or get it tuned right.

Quick Reply: SOHC turbo motor build up...?'s