Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Soft Clutch Pedal Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Soft Clutch Pedal Issue

Ok, so I realize this may sound a little stupid, but I haven't come across anything on H-T in regards to it. Nonetheless, I own an EG and it's the only manual EG I've ever driven. My problem is that the clutch pedal spring-back feels very soft.
I drove my friend's 92 GSR with a cable transmission, and that clutch pedal sprung back like crazy. I thought that was due to the fact that I'm using a hydro tranny as compared to the cable, but I have driven other honda's with hydro trannies, and the spring back was way better then what i have.
Is there anything I can do to increase the spring-back force of the clutch pedal? Everything currently works fine, but it causes me to occasionally ride the clutch because the pedal travel seems so long with little resistance.
I bought this car off my brother just about a year ago, and as far as I know, the clutch has always been like this since he bought the car. The original clutch has also been replaced about 3 years ago with another OEM one.

Any recommendations? suggestions? solutions? Thanks guys.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Soft Clutch Pedal Issue (Creepsjr)

Check whether the fluid in the clutch master cylinder reservoir may be low. If so, top off with some brake fluid and check for leaks from the master and slave cylinder, brake calipers, and rear wheel cylinders. Whether or not a leak is found, you probably should bleed the hydraulic system.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yea, I would bleed the clutch system, sounds like air is in there to me.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (1992Si)

Bleeding your clutch can be a pain in the ***, and you shouldn't do it alone. Just make sure you have someone that knows what they are doing, and youll be fine.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (1992Si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Creepsjr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok, so I realize this may sound a little stupid, but I haven't come across anything on H-T in regards to it. Nonetheless, I own an EG and it's the only manual EG I've ever driven. My problem is that the clutch pedal spring-back feels very soft.
I drove my friend's 92 GSR with a cable transmission, and that clutch pedal sprung back like crazy. I thought that was due to the fact that I'm using a hydro tranny as compared to the cable, but I have driven other honda's with hydro trannies, and the spring back was way better then what i have.
Is there anything I can do to increase the spring-back force of the clutch pedal? Everything currently works fine, but it causes me to occasionally ride the clutch because the pedal travel seems so long with little resistance.
I bought this car off my brother just about a year ago, and as far as I know, the clutch has always been like this since he bought the car. The original clutch has also been replaced about 3 years ago with another OEM one.

Any recommendations? suggestions? solutions? Thanks guys.</TD></TR></TABLE>

if the MC has never been replaced, it can just feel that way due to parts being worn out. if it's not leaking (or if the slave cylinder isn't either) i wouldn't worry about it. you can always bleed out the old fluid with new one, which is something that should be done every couple of years.