Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

So you wake up and realize you are modifying...a Civic...

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So you wake up and realize you are modifying...a Civic...

Anyone ever wake up this way?

This is my second journey down this path. I count up all the beans I've put into my car and all the beans I plan on putting into my car in the future and realize all that money is going into a 13 year old base model Honda Civic.

Is this wise?

I could sell my car and put all that money into a newer, nicer car and drastically reduce the risk of having my car stolen (I'm in NoVA where Honda's are HOT HOT HOT). I used to love this hobby but now I feel sort of dumb. I'm starting to hate sitting in my loud, rattling, blue interior filled Civic.

What keeps you guys going?
Old 05-07-2003, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: So you wake up and realize you are modifying...a Civic... (hybridreams)

im feeling you... i spent every paycheck on my civic ... i beleive its time for me to save up for a m3.. or some sort
Old 05-07-2003, 01:36 PM
Future Texas Boy

Default Re: So you wake up and realize you are modifying...a Civic... (hybridreams)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hybridreams &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
What keeps you guys going?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The bitches, y0.

It`s my second car. That`s how I justify it. I drive it when I want to and only when I want to. Makes things much less complicated.
Old 05-07-2003, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well, with the money that i make a honda is about all i can afford...and yes ive thought of the same thing many times...but i've been into hondas all my life...since my first car, which was an 86 accord...but anyways...i see where you're coming from...well, i like my honda...and if i could get a nicer/better car i would..but for now this is sufficient...what keeps me going...well, i try to be unique, and it is kinda hard with all these damn honda all over the place...and plus, hondas are great cars...but im just afraid that one day i'll grow out of it...i already have started to grow out of drag...now im just more into simple and clean stuff...kinda jdm but also affordable...
Old 05-07-2003, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup.

Still feeling it too.

I'm done too....Especially since I found a granny driven MKIII Turbo Supra for $1,700 that I cannot buy cause I just bought some struts for my Civic.
Old 05-07-2003, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (zeROTWO_CG6)

i've calculated it... i could of gotten a very nice 2003 M3

I My Honda
Old 05-07-2003, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Kid1320)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kid1320 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i've calculated it... i could of gotten a very nice 2003 M3

I My Honda </TD></TR></TABLE>

If I had no Wife, Civic or new Truck, i'd be able to get a 1999 Skyline GTR-Spec V.....i'll take the wife.
Old 05-07-2003, 01:43 PM

Becuase Imports are cool and hard to make fast, and u get so much props when you do, it's a expensive hobbie, but when u can look at your car and say it's done out, and others love it as well, you know you have done something right.
Old 05-07-2003, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats why i sold mine.

I do it, becuase i love imports and working on my car, it's just one sexy bitch
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Kid1320)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kid1320 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i've calculated it... i could of gotten a very nice 2003 M3

I My Honda </TD></TR></TABLE>Same here. People that say Hondas are played and F*** JDM this F*** that are all haters.
Old 05-07-2003, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Supertwinz)

I love my Civic always have always will it's my second car so I can drive my **** box if I don't wanna take my Civic out.

Though I'm gonna be selling it within the next year or so and buy a 1997-1998 240sx and drop a RB25 or SR20 into it and then build the **** out of the turbo.
Old 05-07-2003, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I mod my car because of the love of wrenching and tuning it. who says modifying a car is going to be cheap.
Old 05-07-2003, 01:58 PM
Trial User

Yep i've out grown the whole import thing. It just doesn't fit me anymore so i think it's time to move one. I've put my hatch up for sale and am parting it out. Looking for a BMW E36 m3, it's not the fasted car on the road by any means but it's a nice car and is more my style.
Old 05-07-2003, 02:00 PM
Boba Connoisseur

I like sitting in my quiet, loud tired, rattling, black interior filled Civic.

Unless you're trying to impress people, who cares if it's an old Civic or a new WRX? Whatever gets the job done, IMO.

I've had the car for 3 years and have been into Hondas and whatnot for 7 or 8 years. I figure if I was going to get tired of it, that would have happened by now.
Old 05-07-2003, 02:05 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (mantic6t9)

I realized last month that I hate spending money trying to make a Honda go fast. I've got an H22A4 sitting in my garage, ready to drop into my EH3 and I'm putting that bitch up for sale as soon as I come home from college. Why? Because **** Hondas, that's why. For the money you pay to get 160whp and 110wtq in a hatchy that will run low 14's you could've bought a real sportscar, including insurance.

My next car is going to be a convertable something with some decent wheels and a wicked, non-bass-oriented sound system. I'm going to be comfortable as hell and keep it that way. When I finally NEED to go fast sometime down the line, I'll mod something with a SBC and get some real quickness.

Until then, goodbye swaps and suspension and all the money and hassle of trying to make some gay underdog of a car run times that still get you embarassed when Don LS1 pulls up next to you at a stoplight.
Old 05-07-2003, 02:13 PM

Default Re: (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">For the money you pay to get 160whp and 110wtq in a hatchy that will run low 14's you could've bought a real sportscar, including insurance.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I dont think so bud. A "real" sports car should run quicker than low 14's yes, but there is no way it will be cheaper than a Civic(car and insurance wise).

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
My next car is going to be a convertable something with some decent wheels and a wicked, non-bass-oriented sound system. I'm going to be comfortable as hell and keep it that way. When I finally NEED to go fast sometime down the line, I'll mod something with a SBC and get some real quickness.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Cool!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Until then, goodbye swaps and suspension and all the money and hassle of trying to make some gay underdog of a car run times that still get you embarassed when Don LS1 pulls up next to you at a stoplight.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just because your Honda is slow, doesn't mean everyone elses' is. What do you think of 11 second street driven Hondas huh(not including bikes!)?
Old 05-07-2003, 02:20 PM

Default Re: (Spade)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Spade &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

If I had no Wife, Civic or new Truck, i'd be able to get a 1999 Skyline GTR-Spec V.....i'll take the wife.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i totally feel u on that
Old 05-07-2003, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

While I sometimes think the money I spend modding my Civic, or the money I plan to spend is too much, it still does not reach into M3 territory. If you guys are dumping that much in modifications alone, holy ****.
Old 05-07-2003, 02:35 PM

Default Re: So you wake up and realize you are modifying...a Civic... (piscorpio)

I am married so I don't care really on what women or people think of my ugly car. It I was still single then I would have a) more money and b) a bling bling ride. Next year I might buy a prelude or an accord coupe.
Old 05-07-2003, 02:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: So you wake up and realize you are modifying...a Civic... (vivid02)

But I love my beater. I can feel the road when I drive.
Old 05-07-2003, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: So you wake up and realize you are modifying...a Civic... (piscorpio)

One thing that keeps me going on my civic is the simple fact that it is paid for and I do not want a car payment. Besides, I'm at the point in my life where if I were to buy a new car, it would be something in the audi/bmw ballpark. Something along the lines of a sports sedan.

Besides, I have simple goals for my civic. I can reach them all for quite a bit less than a few months car payment on a nicer ride. Also, with the civic, I can mod as I WANT. However with a new car I MUST make the payment every month...
Old 05-07-2003, 02:44 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (lazy bum shaughn)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lazy bum shaughn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I dont think so bud. A "real" sports car should run quicker than low 14's yes, but there is no way it will be cheaper than a Civic(car and insurance wise).</TD></TR></TABLE>

Go look on autotrader for LT1 camaros. That's right, there are tons in the $6500 - $10000 range. You could check out myriad 70's musclecars that'll hit high 12's low 13's stock for prices as low as $3000...you've got used Syclones and Grand Nationals for under $10k. Should I keep going? Typical cost of a 14.3 Hatchback:

$2500-$4000 for the car
$3500 for the GS-R swap (with all the kinks worked out)
$1000 for the boltons
$500 for suspension (at least)
if you want to count them, good tires and lightweight rims $800

I think you can do the math.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Just because your Honda is slow, doesn't mean everyone elses' is.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I drive a stock 1993 EH3, but all of my friends have modded **** and $10k later they're all oil-burning, rattletrap, low-14-second bitches or worse.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What do you think of 11 second street driven Hondas huh(not including bikes!)?</TD></TR></TABLE>

You can count the number of 11-second, daily driven Hondas on one hand and I can guarantee all of that **** cost more than a "real sportscar". Sure, it's fun to watch a Z06 owner's face fall off when you walk him like a bitch in your built H22 turbo hatchback, but at the end of the day he's cruising with the A/C on, listening to crystal-clear music and getting road head from his model girlfriend while you're pulling raw metal shards out of your *** from stripping your econobox, fighting back nausea from the ungodly fumes of the exhaust and sweating like a pig in heat because you took your creature comforts out and threw them in the garbage all in the name of 4hp.

When you grow up, you'll understand.
Old 05-07-2003, 02:44 PM

Ya im not really sure what yall are talkin about sayin "i cudve gotten a m3 by now" and all that ****. You also cuddve built a honda that will whoop the **** out of an m3 for less than half the price. Ya if u want a nine second car or sum **** then u will have to spend tons of money but every1 knows u can build fast hondas very cheap (compared to sports cars). I like them because for one, they look good as hell IMO and my car isnt fast but the thought that i can make it fast or buy a new one and build it to be fast pretty inexpensively is another reason why i love hondas. EVERYONE knows you can get a hatch cheap as hell, if u want just speed then strip it and just put in a b16 with bolt ons and u will be pretty fast already. U can get a hatch cheap as hell, strip it, throw on turbo, bolt ons, and have a low 13 second HONDA for well under 10 grand. Faster than that even still under 10 grand. If you want ur **** to be nice then keep the interior put in leather gsr seats or sumthin. Or u cud get an accord put in h22 still have nice comfortbale interior and good stereo ****!, even WOODGRAIN. U want a smooth ride then roll some 15s that look good and ****, u dotn have to drop it if u want to keep a nice ride. If yall have been spendin tons of money on ur cars its not cuz its a HONDA and its slow, maybe u just didnt go about tryin to make ur car fast the best possible way. The guy who cudnt get the supra, thats a different story, that really does suck! hondas kick ***...............thats my .02
Old 05-07-2003, 02:47 PM
dp

Default Re: So you wake up and realize you are modifying...a Civic... (tonyXcom)

You think "modding" a civic is bad. What about modifing a $24k civic. Yeah that's right that's how much a 'friggin civic SI cost here

How about a $33K RSX-s or a $38K TSX....

Quick Reply: So you wake up and realize you are modifying...a Civic...