Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

So while driving down the road today my steering went out. :(

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So while driving down the road today my steering went out. :(

While turning right it made A clunk noise and the steering wheel turned about 35% but the wheels didn't. So I tried again and now the steering wheel is upside down while the tires are facing forward. I can turn left without any problems just not right. It feels like when your trying to tighten a screw and it is stripping it. i have heard it might be the rack and pinion and this and that. I would like to get a stance from someone on here since after all this is honda-tech
Old 08-25-2008, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: So while driving down the road today my steering went out. :( (soner)

Check the tie rod ends, one probably snapped off.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: So while driving down the road today my steering went out. :( (soner)

If the tie rods are okay, you probably sheared a tooth off the rack.

The newer Malibu's has an electric assist rack, with a faulty steering shaft seal, allowing water to enter the rack, and ruin it. Of the three I've done thus far, one exhibited these symptoms, and had torn teeth off the rack. The others bound up due to corrosion.

Over time the rack will become sloppy and lose its adjustment, over time this stresses parts of the teeth more than the rest, causing them to snap. Similar to incorrectly shimming a ring and pinion on a hypoid axle, if its not right on, it won't last very long. Only in this case its not transferring engine power.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: So while driving down the road today my steering went out. :( (slowcivic2k)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slowcivic2k &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If the tie rods are okay, you probably sheared a tooth off the rack.

The newer Malibu's has an electric assist rack, with a faulty steering shaft seal, allowing water to enter the rack, and ruin it. Of the three I've done thus far, one exhibited these symptoms, and had torn teeth off the rack. The others bound up due to corrosion.

Over time the rack will become sloppy and lose its adjustment, over time this stresses parts of the teeth more than the rest, causing them to snap. Similar to incorrectly shimming a ring and pinion on a hypoid axle, if its not right on, it won't last very long. Only in this case its not transferring engine power.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Interesting.

I woulda thought the pinion teeth snapped first.

Though yeah, I agree, if it's not the tie rod ends check the rack & pinion.

Heh, never saw that happen. Though makes sense. Learn something new every day.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: So while driving down the road today my steering went out. :( (Syndacate)

Wow thats pretty scary.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: So while driving down the road today my steering went out. :( (alphalanos)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by alphalanos &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wow thats pretty scary.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Before running gear was re-designed so everything just snapped when your wheel bearing seized, it would just seize...and your wheel would seize.

Happened to me doin about 85 in my camaro, front left locked up - causes quite an interesting experience if I do say so myself.

Sudden mechanical failures blow...end of story.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:34 PM

These are all great responses. I will check these things out first thing in the morning. Thanks again guys for the quick feedback.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:53 PM

Default Re: (soner)

Turns out you guys are right, it is the rack and pinion. For replacing it how expensive do you think that be by doing it myself compared to getting it done in a shop. lol, where do I even look for a new rack and pinion.