Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

So what does the vtec oil pressure switch REALLY do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 09:19 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default So what does the vtec oil pressure switch REALLY do?

Just curious,
OK so i've got a d15b vtec,
sohc so its hard to tell when vtec is really engaging..

now most sohc vtecs(z6 etc) have a vtec solenoid with an oil pressure switch on it.

mine however is just the solenoid, no switch.
i'm running a chipped P08 ecu, which is from this motor..
the ecu is SUPPOSED to have the switch built in, but I was throwing the code 22(the switch).

the way I eleviated that problem was I jumped the solenoid and press. switch wires together. A trick various people have recommended, and it seems to work.

BUuut theres still the nagging feeling that i'm just sweeping the problem under the rug persay.

So i'm curious, wtf does the switch really do?
If my ecu is throwing this code.. then that would lead one to believe it does not have the switch built in.. and there is no switch on the motor.. soooo can vtec work properly with the setup? Its possible there is no switch in activity!

Maybe some ecu chipper guys can "chip in" (pun intended)
Old 08-17-2004, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: So what does the vtec oil pressure switch REALLY do? (Tad)

I belive the oil pressure switch makes sure there enough oil pressure to properly engage the vtec funtion? So if there was low oil and the solinoide clicked in it could possibly damage the engine because there isent enough oil pressure for it to properly engage or rob more pressure from the engine causeing proplems from an even lower oil pressure.

Just my uneducated idea on the matter i could be wrong......
Old 08-18-2004, 08:14 AM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: So what does the vtec oil pressure switch REALLY do? (nocternaldragon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nocternaldragon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I belive the oil pressure switch makes sure there enough oil pressure to properly engage the vtec funtion? So if there was low oil and the solinoide clicked in it could possibly damage the engine because there isent enough oil pressure for it to properly engage or rob more pressure from the engine causeing proplems from an even lower oil pressure.

Just my uneducated idea on the matter i could be wrong......</TD></TR></TABLE>

hmm, maybe thats why I can rev it all the way up even when cold.
not sure if vtec kicks in tho.. i think it does tho.. and its not supposed to..
Old 08-18-2004, 08:46 AM
New User

Default Re: So what does the vtec oil pressure switch REALLY do? (Tad)

Correct, it's a safety feature that helps protect your motor. You cannot engage VTEC until the oil is warm and flowing... If your low on oil VTEC might never engage either. Their might be a way to bypass it, however I would never recommend doing so...
Old 08-18-2004, 05:50 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

hmm, ok yeah that makes sense.
well I've only gone into vtec range at cold a couple times..
I'm not really trying to do it on PURPOSE so its hard to tell what happens at that state.

anyone have anymore in depth info with what goes on when you jump the sol& switch wires together to clear that code?
Old 08-18-2004, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Tad)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the way I eleviated that problem was I jumped the solenoid and press. switch wires together. A trick various people have recommended, and it seems to work.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not thread jack/sound like a n00b...would you (or anyone) have a pic of this done? I have the same problem...and tried to do the same thing but I think I messed up. I wired the 2 wires on the solenoid (green plug) together, I thought it would run open loop...but still getting a code 22...can you help set me straight?
Old 08-18-2004, 06:17 PM

Default Re: (Uncle Ben)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Uncle Ben &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I wired the 2 wires on the solenoid (green plug) together, I thought it would run open loop...but still getting a code 22...can you help set me straight?</TD></TR></TABLE>

this way you just tight the wires at the switch, this action doing nothing to the switch ! that why you have the code 22. need more info on the car how do you go about wiring up the vtec.
by the way
vtec soleniod only have 1 wire.
vtec pressure switch have 2 wires.
Old 08-18-2004, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey tad would you like to shot me an PM with the link to show you " jumped the solenoid and press".

i have a fuckn code 22 and it wont go away its pissing me off
Old 08-18-2004, 07:01 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

slammed, check ur pm,

2lua, the pressure switch has 2 wires, but one is just a ground wire, so no need to worry about it.

this is only if you have a pressure switch of course, which many(if not all) jdm d15b's do NOT have. Apparently its supposed to be built into the ecu.
Old 08-18-2004, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

as far as i know no JDM motor has it.

all of the JDM ITR's i have seen don't have it.

and a few people told me that the jdm motors don't have them
Old 08-19-2004, 09:36 AM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (slammed_93_hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slammed_93_hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">as far as i know no JDM motor has it.

all of the JDM ITR's i have seen don't have it.

and a few people told me that the jdm motors don't have them</TD></TR></TABLE>

ok good info
Old 08-21-2004, 07:24 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">slammed, check ur pm,

2lua, the pressure switch has 2 wires, but one is just a ground wire, so no need to worry about it.

this is only if you have a pressure switch of course, which many(if not all) jdm d15b's do NOT have. Apparently its supposed to be built into the ecu.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If this is true how would you go about wiring up vtec? Would the vtec pressure switch just be ignored and the only wiring required would be the vtec solenoid ?
Old 08-21-2004, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (exploder101)

vtec oil pressure switch bypass: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=686379

and pretty much the jist of it: <TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VTECVillain &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The way to use the JDM VTEC solenoid with a USDM ECU or any ECU that looks for a VTEC pressure switch is to run the wire from D6 (VTEC Pressure Switch) and tap it into A4 (VTEC Solenoid). This connects the pressure switch and VTEC solenoid circuit together which fools the ECU so it won't throw a CEL.
The first setup that I wired this way was a friend's car (95 DX with 98 JDM B18C + JRSC). It has been running flawlessly for nearly 2 years and sees it's fair share of abuse. There have be no side effects from this that I have seen nor have I ever heard anyone else that has had problems.</TD></TR></TABLE>

... i'm pretty sure that there are no major ill effects of bypassing the switch. "jdm" motors supposedly did not come with one, and i would assume that by using the proper and correct ecu for the motor, the ecu would not let you get into vtec without having the motor warm.

... i have been running the bypass in my previous hatch for over half a year, and now into my new hatch for a week. everything is absolutely fine. tell you the truth, i have a pressure switch on this motor, not on the old one. i still jumped it... got lazy and didn't wanna finish two more wires

... if you really get concerned, pick up the presssure switch and run it to the correct ecu pins.
Old 08-21-2004, 07:59 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jdmsiR20)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmsiR20 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

... i have been running the bypass in my previous hatch for over half a year, and now into my new hatch for a week. everything is absolutely fine. tell you the truth, i have a pressure switch on this motor, not on the old one. i still jumped it... got lazy and didn't wanna finish two more wires

... if you really get concerned, pick up the presssure switch and run it to the correct ecu pins. </TD></TR></TABLE>

omg
you lazy ******!!! haha
Old 08-21-2004, 08:00 PM
Pooping on children

my d15b has a pressure switch under the solenoid :confused:
Old 08-21-2004, 08:04 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BADEG6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BADEG6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my d15b has a pressure switch under the solenoid :confused:</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, jdmsir's does too,
but his d15b before that didnt,

and mine doesnt.

so not ALL jdm motors are missing the switch...
which must be why my p08 throws a code if I dont have the jumped setup.

actually my p08 was looking for an 02 heater too(from 4wire o2 sensors)
but d15b's are supposed to only run 1wire.. which is wierd.
mines chipped so redzoneperformance ( ) tried a few different p08 bins till it stopped looking for that heater,
still looking for the switch tho.. but I said fuckit.

i've still got a paper clip jumping them too, heh.. I really need to find a pin so I can wire it clean
Old 08-22-2004, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey so are you running a four or one wire o2?

i run the p08 chip, and it requires a one wire. switch to a p28 chip, and it looks for a four wire.

supposedly, the p08 will run four or one wire, doesn't matter.
Old 08-22-2004, 01:25 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmsiR20 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey so are you running a four or one wire o2?

i run the p08 chip, and it requires a one wire. switch to a p28 chip, and it looks for a four wire.

supposedly, the p08 will run four or one wire, doesn't matter.</TD></TR></TABLE>

running a 1wire,
ecu's are crazy
Old 08-31-2004, 09:06 PM
EOE
Honda-Tech Member

Hi guys Im sorry I dont mean to jack your thread but I am having major issues with my Lude here... pretty much same as you bro I guees!! Could you please check this out guys....

http://www.vancouverpreludeclu...ber=2

Thank You So much guys!!! Let me know what could be wrong, I am about to give up adn take it to honda but I dopnt have the cash to do that.
Old 08-31-2004, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just to confirm what others are saying.
This is the way I bypassed the vtec oil press switch on my brothers jdm itr and it has run flawlessly for 2 years.
At the ecu:
Stick a pin with about 3in of wire into D6 and then tap it into the wire at A4. Thats it.

There are no ill effects. You should be checking your oil regularly anyway.
Old 08-31-2004, 09:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EOE)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EOE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hi guys Im sorry I dont mean to jack your thread but I am having major issues with my Lude here... pretty much same as you bro I guees!! Could you please check this out guys....

http://www.vancouverpreludeclu...ber=2

Thank You So much guys!!! Let me know what could be wrong, I am about to give up adn take it to honda but I dopnt have the cash to do that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

for this guy.... the intake hose should be left like that.

and the sensor you're talkin about (green) is the pressure switch. looks like the fourth pic has everything fine. whats the deal with the last pic?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EOE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Now is that normal?
&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;

The New Sensor
&lt;br /&gt;

Thats the right sensor right??

That wire circled in yellow is wraped together with the one im holding, it was just loose! Any ideas? &lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;

-Dmitriy</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 08-31-2004, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Slopoke)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Slopoke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just to confirm what others are saying.
This is the way I bypassed the vtec oil press switch on my brothers jdm itr and it has run flawlessly for 2 years.
At the ecu:
Stick a pin with about 3in of wire into D6 and then tap it into the wire at A4. Thats it.

There are no ill effects. You should be checking your oil regularly anyway.</TD></TR></TABLE>

and this one... i dunno if you stuck a "pin?" in there or what... but yeah, thats the way to do it. i used the harness already there. cut off about 3inches of wire going into the ecu, and spliced...
Old 08-31-2004, 09:57 PM
EOE
Honda-Tech Member

On the last pic I am trying to understand what that loose wire is and where does it go... it is wraped together with the connecter I am holding, and looks like it was done stock like that so by saying wraped together I dont mean it was custom work with electrical tape. I just dont know what that wire is for... Where does it go and everything. Maybe thats my problem?
Old 08-31-2004, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, my brothers '94 civic wasnt prewired for vtec so I ran the wire from the vtec solenoid to A4 and pinned it and then pinned D6 and tapped it into the vtec sol wire.

On my '92 I used the existing harness though.
Old 09-01-2004, 06:19 PM
EOE
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Slopoke)

Pluged in the loose wire into the gray connector, reset the ECU and ever since then the engine light hasnt come on. Thx to Slopoke & jdmsiR20 for the help last night!!

- Dmitriy

Quick Reply: So what does the vtec oil pressure switch REALLY do?