Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

so tell me what do you all think....

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default so tell me what do you all think....

ohk, so i have been saving and saving for a while now. i have 98 ek ex coupe. so now i have an option of a jdm gsr, or a full h22 swap. what do you all think h22 or gsr, i need reasons also, i have heard alot of running problems with gsr's. yet my friend has a h22 hatch and it runs well.
Old 01-21-2004, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: so tell me what do you all think.... (jamesr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jamesr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> i have heard alot of running problems with gsr's. </TD></TR></TABLE>

you have heard wrong.

get the swap you like best.
Old 01-21-2004, 05:46 PM

Default Re: so tell me what do you all think.... (DragII)

Either swap is good but I think the GSr swap is a much easier swap to do than the H22 but its up to you both great motors
Old 01-21-2004, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: so tell me what do you all think.... (allmtreg)

save a bit more and get a k series
pEaCE
Old 01-21-2004, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: so tell me what do you all think.... (slowhatch4now)

I say read up the info about the H22 swaps in the FAQ thread at the top of the page. GSR swaps are nice as well. You've read in a H22 swapped car..try finding a GSR swapped one as well and then make your choice.
Old 01-21-2004, 05:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slowhatch4now &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">save a bit more and get a k series
pEaCE</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea like save up the same amount he has now again.

If you want to go for drag go with the H22 but for something that will be fast and handle you will want the B series.
Old 01-21-2004, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: so tell me what do you all think.... (JDM-97CX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-97CX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yea like save up the same amount he has now again.

If you want to go for drag go with the H22 but for something that will be fast and handle you will want the B series.</TD></TR></TABLE>

H22 swap is only 25 lbs heavier than the B swap. The H22 tranny has longer gears though, so the B18C1 could be "quicker" even though the engine makes less power.

EDIT: I was looking for the thread that proves the H swap is only 25lbs more..but I can't find it right now...damn...the block was like 123 vs. 104 and the trannies were like 100 v 104.

Modified by Ricey McRicerton at 10:19 PM 1/21/2004
Old 01-21-2004, 06:05 PM

Default Re: so tell me what do you all think.... (Ricey McRicerton)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ricey McRicerton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

H22 swap is only 25 lbs heavier than the B swap. The H22 tranny has longer gears though, so the B18C1 could be "quicker" even though the engine makes less power.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I thought it was more than that.

On another note you would also be going from hydro tranny to cable.
Old 01-21-2004, 06:14 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-97CX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I thought it was more than that.

On another note you would also be going from hydro tranny to cable.</TD></TR></TABLE>

huh?
Old 01-21-2004, 06:16 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: so tell me what do you all think.... (Emerika)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Emerika &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

huh?</TD></TR></TABLE>

...The H22 tranny is cable driven and the 98 Civics come with Linkage/Hydro driven trannys. Surely you knew that?
Old 01-21-2004, 06:19 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Default Re: so tell me what do you all think.... (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

...The H22 tranny is cable driven and the 98 Civics come with Linkage/Hydro driven trannys. Surely you knew that?</TD></TR></TABLE>
yeah, the Civic have a stabilizer bar and change cable to change gears, and the Prelude uses cables.

He's talking hydro to cable. The 92+ Preludes had hydro trannies....all H22's have hydro trannies
Old 01-21-2004, 06:21 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Emerika &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
yeah, the Civic have a stabilizer bar and change cable to change gears, and the Prelude uses cables.

He's talking hydro to cable. The 92+ Preludes had hydro trannies....all H22's have hydro trannies</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea exactly.

Sorry if there was some confusion for anyone on that though.
Old 01-21-2004, 06:23 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Yea exactly.

Sorry if there was some confusion for anyone on that though. </TD></TR></TABLE>
I thought you were referring to clutch engagement....hydro and cable.

Old 01-21-2004, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here is the H22 vs. B weight thread

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=684550
Old 01-21-2004, 09:05 PM
Pooping on children

Default Re: so tell me what do you all think.... (jamesr)

its a question of personal preference take a ride in both cars and see which motor you like better
Old 01-21-2004, 10:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slowhatch4now &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">save a bit more and get a k series
pEaCE</TD></TR></TABLE>

K's aren't worth their price yet imo
Old 01-21-2004, 10:47 PM
In The Garage

do the H22 swap. personally, i like the B-series engines better, but i'm more impressed when i see an H22 car than i am when i see "just another" b-swap.
Old 01-21-2004, 11:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ShadyEH2)

ok heres my 2 cents....

h22 if you want to drag....(lose a lot of handleing)
h22 if you want the "OH **** SON!!" factor from all your friends and street rats
b18c if you want to road race, auto-x

im looking into the whole engine swap thing and im deffinetly go with a b18 motor... b18c if i go supercharger, and b18 (or is it b17) ls motor if i go turbo.

in the end all you really have to do is ask yourself what you want from your car.
Old 01-21-2004, 11:21 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Default Re: (300zGuy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 300zGuy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok heres my 2 cents....

h22 if you want to drag....(lose a lot of handleing)
h22 if you want the "OH **** SON!!" factor from all your friends and street rats
b18c if you want to road race, auto-x

im looking into the whole engine swap thing and im deffinetly go with a b18 motor... b18c if i go supercharger, and b18 (or is it b17) ls motor if i go turbo.

in the end all you really have to do is ask yourself what you want from your car.</TD></TR></TABLE>

may I ask why you chose these engines???

Why a B18C for road race and auto-x??? This puts you into a class of 200+whp monsters and veteran drivers.

an H22 can handle just as well as any other car, it's about seting up the suspension.
Old 01-21-2004, 11:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Emerika)

h22 is just a lot heavier in general and in auto-x and road racing weight makes more of a difference. (so I've heard)

and as far as why I want a b18c.. The block itself is very strong, it has a lot of potential, its light, it revs higher (personal thing... don't ask), b18 is an easier swap, and as far as the b18 ls motor i chose this simply because of low compression for the turbos...

but really it makes no difference to me because im planning to build a custom b18c with 9:1 compression and turbos for a swap into a hatch.

**do remember that i AM still pretty new at this whole Honda thing. I can only go by what others tell me, and what i read, this is what i have learned so far. If you would like to enlighten me further please be my guest im all ears.**
Old 01-21-2004, 11:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 300zGuy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">h22 is just a lot heavier in general and in auto-x and road racing weight makes more of a difference. (so I've heard)

and as far as why I want a b18c.. The block itself is very strong, it has a lot of potential, its light, it revs higher (personal thing... don't ask), b18 is an easier swap, and as far as the b18 ls motor i chose this simply because of low compression for the turbos...

but really it makes no difference to me because im planning to build a custom b18c with 9:1 compression and turbos for a swap into a hatch.

**do remember that i AM still pretty new at this whole Honda thing. I can only go by what others tell me, and what i read, this is what i have learned so far. If you would like to enlighten me further please be my guest im all ears.**</TD></TR></TABLE>
dude, as stated before, the H22 isnt ALOT heavier than the c1, plus evan(Emerika) is right. Auto-X is more about suspension than power. trust me, evan knows his ****.
Old 01-21-2004, 11:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MonKey Magic)

alright thanks for correcting me... as i said before
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 300zGuy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">**do remember that i AM still pretty new at this whole Honda thing. I can only go by what others tell me, and what i read, this is what i have learned so far. If you would like to enlighten me further please be my guest im all ears.**
</TD></TR></TABLE>

im bound to make mistakes, i jsut started getting into the whole honda thing... im a nissan buff what can i say
Old 01-21-2004, 11:54 PM
Solbros Owns Me

I know exactly what you are saying tho....a nice B18 swap with LSD WOULD be ideal for autocross/road racing, what have you.

BUT, most people won't even use 80% of the potential of their engine, let alone their suspension, for the need to have that added power, etc.
I'm all about usable power. My D16Z6 with bolts on makes me a happy camper....

I've had B16 with Spoon clutch/flywheel/lsd setup, D16Z6 Apexi turbo setups, all motor SOHC and stock SOHC...and stock SOHC is my favorite.

Why??? Because it's usable power. I'm not a drag racer and I don't drive fast on the streets, so it's what I can use.

My brother and I are lmost done getting his engine running...12:1 H22 in his CX hatch....waiting for a few more parts, and this will be a strong daily...but guaranteed, I WILL take him out at auto-x and small road courses.

But going with what you said, a nice B18C swap would be the most ideal for most cases.....pretty strong, high revving, well balanced, and not too heavy. Going with the H22 will add for some suspension tweaks ro make the car feel as balanced as the stock engine, but it can be done
Old 01-21-2004, 11:58 PM

personally, i think the whole 'h22 makes your car handle like *** cause it's heavy' is more or less a big myth. i'm not sure exactly how it got started, but i'd guess that someone just applied the basic idea of weight distribution, and assumed that the h22 is a very heavy swap - when the facts suggest that it is not. everyone claims that your car's handling capabilities will suffer, when i bet 90% of the people who say that have never driven or rode in a h22 swapped civic. (but neither have i heheh)

there was a post a while ago from someone who autoxed his h22 swapped civic, and he said it really wasn't that bad (can't find it now). and as evan said, autox and road racing is all about your suspension setup. a properly tuned suspension can easily compensate for the extra 40-50 lbs in the front.

what really turns me off to the h22 is the lousy tranny and the labor required for the swap - i'm not really all about cutting my car up, but some people don't care. if you could get your hands on one of those accord euro r transmissions that bolt up, then you'd be set; but good luck finding one and having money left over.

since i think i know where this is going, try searching for b18c5 vs h22. this topic has been beaten to death, and still clings to life somehow. it's all about what you want to get out of the car; they're two completely different animals, designed with different purposes for different people in mind.
Old 01-22-2004, 12:02 AM
Solbros Owns Me

Default Re: (jwn7)

yeah, my brother H22 hatch wasn't too bad. All he had was H&R race springs and stock shocks.

The car actually felt pretty good. Pushed as much as any car with only lowering springs, but sway bars, different spring rates and dampers could easily make up for that.

But on the other hand, my friend with a 89 hatch with an H22.....that car is SOOOO front end heavy, its rediculous. Just running stock suspension with an engine that barely fits...lol. Car feels like it's going to drop in the front...lol

Quick Reply: so tell me what do you all think....