Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

So.. sucked in a BIT of water? ..I really fcked up

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So.. sucked in a BIT of water? ..I really fcked up

So today was cleaning the engine bay with engine degreaser... before doing so I had covered the air filter to the intake with a bag and tied it and the battery was covered.
I shot off the degreaser with my pressure water hose, closed the hood and started the motor so that the motor could dry itself... After about 10seconds I hear pinging noise coming from the hood, I pop the hood and realize that...

...stupid me forgot to take off the bag from the filter and I think it sucked in some water that was on the outside of the bag too. The filter looks all jacked up like somebody hit it with a baseball bat. I turn off the motor and i remove the bag and filter, then I start it up the motor sounds fine and everything is cool.

But then I get a flashing CEL and my car sounds like WRX when I am driving it, although it drives fine it feels a bit weaker.

What do you guys think is wrong ?
I'll find out tomarrow anyhow, but any suggestions/advice/tips ?

Old 05-14-2008, 10:38 PM

Default Re: So.. sucked in a BIT of water? ..I really fcked up (ViSiONxBoY)

It would have only been a couple drops if the filter did suck up some water. The reason its all messed up is probably because it was trying to suck too much air in, and collapsed the bag on itself, and then created enough pressure to deform itself before tearing through the bag (if it did at all). The pinging was probably you running SUPER rich because the engine was air starved. Probably detonation because your cylinders would have been full of fuel. Thats not really good news though because it can cause the same damage (bent rod)

If youre really worried, take out your spark plugs and crank the motor a few times, water will come out if theres any in there. Then do a compression test. If its low, id probably take it to a shop or pull it out of the car now, or youre just going to end up sending a piston through the block. Oh and check to see what code youre throwing.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: So.. sucked in a BIT of water? ..I really fcked up (ViSiONxBoY)

hey the sound you are hearing (WRX) is that a little bit of water got into your distributor cap they have a rubber seal on them but they dont seal to great just take the cap off dry it then let it air dry for a few it only take like 3 drops of water to make that sound well good luck
Old 05-14-2008, 11:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: So.. sucked in a BIT of water? ..I really fcked up (bobjohnson)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bobjohnson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It would have only been a couple drops if the filter did suck up some water. The reason its all messed up is probably because it was trying to suck too much air in, and collapsed the bag on itself, and then created enough pressure to deform itself before tearing through the bag (if it did at all). The pinging was probably you running SUPER rich because the engine was air starved. Probably detonation because your cylinders would have been full of fuel. Thats not really good news though because it can cause the same damage (bent rod)

If youre really worried, take out your spark plugs and crank the motor a few times, water will come out if theres any in there. Then do a compression test. If its low, id probably take it to a shop or pull it out of the car now, or youre just going to end up sending a piston through the block. Oh and check to see what code youre throwing.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You make me super emo.
But thanks for the insightful comment

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cashkeith &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey the sound you are hearing (WRX) is that a little bit of water got into your distributor cap they have a rubber seal on them but they dont seal to great just take the cap off dry it then let it air dry for a few it only take like 3 drops of water to make that sound well good luck </TD></TR></TABLE>

You make me feel alot better
Old 05-14-2008, 11:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: So.. sucked in a BIT of water? ..I really fcked up (bobjohnson)

..but then I just finished driving it on the freeway for about 15-20mins haha, it still seems fine

I'll check it out tomarrow to be sure.