Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

so i pulled my valve cover to paint it and...

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 02:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default so i pulled my valve cover to paint it and...

im about to paint my valve cover but have spent the last 30mins trying to clean the inside grease off with hot-***-hand-burning water and dish soap. now im about to go buy some paint stripper but wanted to know if i have some left over would it mess up my motor to put in on the inside part of the v/c to get rid of the grease? now this is only the V/C not any internal parts. im just wondering! TIA-
Old 02-20-2006, 02:51 PM

just pour the stripper in the top and let it sit for 15 mins, scrape off the paint with a scraper and then power wash the whole thing with water to get all the stripper residue off.
i bet the stripper would get that burnt on oil on the bottom of it off pretty well. just makes sure you clean off all the stripper with water and you will be fine.
Old 02-20-2006, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: so i pulled my valve cover to paint it and... (Squallie)

you should be kool rem to change gaskets and cover up the sprark holes
Old 02-20-2006, 03:36 PM

Default Re: so i pulled my valve cover to paint it and... (jdmboi86)

off to work
Old 02-20-2006, 04:06 PM
.Ry
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: so i pulled my valve cover to paint it and... (jdmboi86)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmboi86 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you should be kool rem to cover up the sprark holes</TD></TR></TABLE> If the cover is off the motor what does it matter where he sprays?
Old 02-20-2006, 04:10 PM

Default Re: so i pulled my valve cover to paint it and... (turner7205)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turner7205 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> If the cover is off the motor what does it matter where he sprays?</TD></TR></TABLE>

well i didnt want any stripper to get left behind and end up in the motor. but i just spray it and it did take off some of that burnt oil. im going to clean it real good anyways
Old 02-20-2006, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

kinda retarded you use a scraper just gonna scratch it.....just use water
Old 02-20-2006, 06:33 PM
.Ry
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: so i pulled my valve cover to paint it and... (DoctorVtec)

We just painted a freinds B-Series Valve Cover. It was black from the factory, painted blue on top of that, then painted black. We loaded that bitch up with aircraft stripper. In order to get through all the old paint, we had to use a scraper. Once all the old paint was off, since we didnt have a power washer, plus freezing temps we took it to the local do it yourself carwash and used that power washer. We sprayed it down again with stipper and waited, then blasted it with warm water. Wasnt a speck of crap on there. Took it home let it dry, painted her and it looks damn good. For my D-Series Valve cover, its not painted from the factory, so I will just spray it down with stipper and then power wash it. Only time you really need a scraper is the cover was painted before.
Old 02-20-2006, 06:37 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turner7205 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">We just painted a freinds B-Series Valve Cover. It was black from the factory, painted blue on top of that, then painted black. We loaded that bitch up with aircraft stripper. In order to get through all the old paint, we had to use a scraper. Once all the old paint was off, since we didnt have a power washer, plus freezing temps we took it to the local do it yourself carwash and used that power washer. We sprayed it down again with stipper and waited, then blasted it with warm water. Wasnt a speck of crap on there. Took it home let it dry, painted her and it looks damn good. For my D-Series Valve cover, its not painted from the factory, so I will just spray it down with stipper and then power wash it. Only time you really need a scraper is the cover was painted before.</TD></TR></TABLE>

great minds think alike. i planned on doing this after dinner. but i need more strippers....i mean paint stripper im painting mine ford red that they used for the engine blocks. how bout a couple pics? (yes. i know theres a v/c thread. ive been through it twice.)
Old 02-20-2006, 06:42 PM
.Ry
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Squallie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

great minds think alike. i planned on doing this after dinner. but i need more strippers....i mean paint stripper im painting mine ford red that they used for the engine blocks. how bout a couple pics? (yes. i know theres a v/c thread. ive been through it twice.)</TD></TR></TABLE> Nope, only finished products. We ended up using two bottles, since we knew we had alot of paint. I would buy two anyways and two bottles of paint incase something goes wrong lol. Hopefully I can do mine in a few weeks when I replace my VTEC solenoid gasket.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used only aircraft stripped on my b16b vc from the factory ... let it sit for 15 or so minutes in the sun then wash it off with a hose nozzle with a jet setting....so my valve cover = no scratches because I didnt have to use a scraper