Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

so i changed my own oil for the first time

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default so i changed my own oil for the first time

...and the last.

Does anyone that doesn't have a shop change their own oil? It seems like a waste, because I saved maybe 10 bucks, but it took me 1.5-2 hours for buying the supplies, setting up, all the way thru clean-up....when the shop does it in 20 min avg.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its peace of mind aswell. you KNOW whats going into your car. you dont have to trust what comes out of the nozzle at the lube shop. For the most part they do ok but Id still rather do it myself.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: so i changed my own oil for the first time (SoullessJapaneseMachine)

**** i do mine in 20 mins, and i KNOW that im not gona mess up like my buds shop did to my moms car... i guess like the guy above me said, its peace of mind, that you know it was done right.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: so i changed my own oil for the first time (EJ1_Sleeper)

I've had someone else change my oil only once. It was in my winter beater ranger that I had a few years ago, guy came out trying to upsell everything in the book to me. I'm like no thanks, I'm not gonna dump a couple grand into my beater, it's a beater for a reason lmao. Changing the oil in the truck I have now, is even quicker ain't gotta jack it up. It's stock suspension too..
Old 10-23-2007, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: so i changed my own oil for the first time (MustangPunk302)

1.5-2hrs? Hot damn. I usually just buy the oil and filter a few days before Im going to change it. Pick that **** up when Im on my way home from work. The day of the oil change I bust out the jack/stands and get to it. The only reason why it takes me longer than 20mins is because I let it drain forever while I go eff around and do other stuff.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:24 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: so i changed my own oil for the first time (95ProjectEJ1)

First time can take a while if you're not familiar with the process. Next time, it'll take half that time or less. Nobody's going to force you to save that $10 every three or four months
Old 10-23-2007, 11:37 AM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know people who, once they have the supplies in front of them, can do an oil change in seven minutes start to finish.

Seems way better than paying a shop that may or may not change my oil and may or may not change my oil filter. Not to mention having to sit in their fetid waiting room with stale popcorn, bad television, and rancid coffee .... and having it still take an hour and a half because there's people slotted in front of me.

So yeah, changing your own oil saves you time, money, and peace of mind.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:39 AM
HRD PKR

Default Re: so i changed my own oil for the first time (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">First time can take a while if you're not familiar with the process. Next time, it'll take half that time or less. Nobody's going to force you to save that $10 every three or four months </TD></TR></TABLE>

exactly, plus you dont have to worry about the lube tech's over tightening the drain plug causing you to need a new oil pan

i do all the work to my car, cause i have hard time trusting other's! plus you know its done right the first time and wont have to go back
Old 10-23-2007, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: so i changed my own oil for the first time (B16B_coupe)

i do so its done right,plus i like to look around while im under there and see if anything is falling off...
Old 10-23-2007, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: so i changed my own oil for the first time (redcoats1976)

i do my own oil changes at work and i get the oil for free and the oil filter
Old 10-23-2007, 12:08 PM

Default Re: so i changed my own oil for the first time (B16B_coupe)

Also you know its not over filled. It was a friday like 5ish and my buddy let the local texaco change his oil after they were finished we went over to the gas station to fill up and I checked the oil and it was WAY over. We went back and the guy told my friend to drive like that till monday and then stop back so he could drain it. We both said FT and he had to go under the car 3 times to drain some and then check it for it to be right. DO IT YOURSELF!
Old 10-23-2007, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: so i changed my own oil for the first time (SoullessJapaneseMachine)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SoullessJapaneseMachine &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">...and the last.

Does anyone that doesn't have a shop change their own oil? It seems like a waste, because I saved maybe 10 bucks, but it took me 1.5-2 hours for buying the supplies, setting up, all the way thru clean-up....when the shop does it in 20 min avg.</TD></TR></TABLE>

2 ******* hours? What were you doing?

I can change oil in about 5 mins or so.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: so i changed my own oil for the first time (redcoats1976)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by redcoats1976 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i do so its done right,plus i like to look around while im under there and see if anything is falling off...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, because I hate it when **** randomly without notice starts falling off.... Thank god I catch it during oil changes
Old 10-23-2007, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SoullessJapaneseMachine &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">...and the last.

Does anyone that doesn't have a shop change their own oil? It seems like a waste, because I saved maybe 10 bucks, but it took me 1.5-2 hours for buying the supplies, setting up, all the way thru clean-up....when the shop does it in 20 min avg.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i do my oil change all the time right on my garage floor. actually i prefer to do it myself than let someone touch my car. actually, i rather do all my work than rather someone touch my car.

why? i know i'm not going to strip the drain bolt to the pan, which i have seen done numerous amounts of times (doesn't take much to strip).

and also, atleast i know joe shmoe isn't going to show up at my house the same night to try jacking my car.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: so i changed my own oil for the first time (fmrprojects)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fmrprojects &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i do my own oil changes at work and i get the oil for free and the oil filter</TD></TR></TABLE>

x2
Old 10-23-2007, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: so i changed my own oil for the first time (AWD Terror)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AWD Terror &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I can change oil in about 5 mins or so.</TD></TR></TABLE>

5 min yeah right buddy. takes about 5 mins to raise the car, put it on stands and then take it off later. and you have to drain the oil and change the filter and add oil. i do mines in like 15 mins
Old 10-23-2007, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: so i changed my own oil for the first time (fmrprojects)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fmrprojects &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

5 min yeah right buddy. takes about 5 mins to raise the car, put it on stands and then take it off later. and you have to drain the oil and change the filter and add oil. i do mines in like 15 mins</TD></TR></TABLE>

i would agree, it takes about 15-20 minutes to do mine as well.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AWD Terror &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

lets give the guy a break. it's his first time. he probably had no one to show him how things are done.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:32 PM

well..it would take me about 30 mins.and i have done this many many times..it is not the money that i would save.it is that i make sure i pure in the right amount of oil and i dont trust those quick lube shops. and if u bring your car to dearlership with your own oil..u will awlays be wondering if they keep your oil and use the cheap ones..although they wont.but u will always wonder..
Old 10-23-2007, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: so i changed my own oil for the first time (AWD Terror)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AWD Terror &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">2 ******* hours? What were you doing?

dude, if you read what i wrote, i said it included a trip to autozone to buy filter and oil. 15 mins one way, standing in line...etc

then theres changing the oil...i work in my dad's driveway, and if one drop of oil gets on it, i know he's gonna be pissed. i don't have a floor jack, or a proper drain canister. plus, all the work i do is diligent and i double and triple check everything because this is my only car, and my school is in another state...so if i forget to tighten something or w/e i could really be screwed
Old 10-23-2007, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I never buy one filter...I buy several when I go - I also buy cases of oil at a time. You save money doing that and you also save time.

For some people it isnt worth it to DIY...but others it really is.
You should get satisfaction that you actually did something...along with the confidence that it was done the right way.

You do not own the right tools to be doing this...or anything having to do with a car (other than driving it) so you probably should have it done by a shop.
That came out dick-ish...... No offense.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm 53y/o and still do my own oil changes, on all 5 vehicles, oh and the race car.

Plus the trannys and rearends and transfer cases.

If your on this forum, you should know how to do simple maintenance.

We're all here to help you.

Once you have the tools and a game plan, it's fairly simple and you know it's done right.

I almost caved last January, went to a oil change place, the guy asked if I had an appointment. I said no, he said he could do it some day later, I said never mind.

Old 10-23-2007, 03:38 PM

the first time i changed my own oil..it took me like an hour..only cause i didnt have the right tools..LOL..

the first time doing anything takes the longest..

now..i can get through it all within 15-20 minutes.

im **** about draining as much oil as possible..hehe
Old 10-23-2007, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just do the oil change yourself for now on, its a easy process which anybody with common sense can do it. I usually do my oil change in roughly 20mins or so, thats being that i carefully do things the right way. Most of times i do both my car and my girls in well under a hour.

Stay away from the quick oil change joints like jiffy lube etc...i've heard horror stories, check the HT threads, i remember reading at least 10+post's.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: so i changed my own oil for the first time (paras)

I get the best of both worlds...I work at a shop, so I get to use the lifts, any tools, disposing containers, etc. free of charge, and I know what's going in mine

It takes me ~30 minutes, but I let the disposal can sit under the car for a good 10 minutes to get as much oil out as possible.

But, if I didn't have access to any of that, I'd take it to a trustworthy shop and pay them to do it.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: so i changed my own oil for the first time (JKov240)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JKov240 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I get the best of both worlds...

I work at a shop, so I get to use the lifts, any tools, disposing containers, etc. free of charge, and I know what's going in mine

It takes me ~30 minutes, but I let the disposal can sit under the car for a good 10 minutes to get as much oil out as possible.

But, if I didn't have access to any of that, I'd take it to a shop and make DAMN sure that they're doing a good job and that the oil that I want goes in the motor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

damn you luck SOB...haha i hate using my jack, esp. becuz my jack doesn't clear my car since its too low. I always have to do the ''drive over brick trick''. Sucks *****...

Quick Reply: so i changed my own oil for the first time