Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

so i brought my first Honda civic 92 project..

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default so i brought my first Honda civic 92 project..

Hi! I just brought myself a honda civic 92. What you all think? Need to re do some painting. Got some rush that need to be fix. The engine run well and transmission. Front windshield need to be replace and front tires are worn out. I think the radiator isn't working and i think it need a new reservoir. The positive battery post's damage. Anyonere here know what i do to fix that? I'm looking foward to do a swap. Anyone wants to help me do this project. I"m kinda new to this. It 5 speed transmission.

Old 12-22-2009, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: so i brought my first Honda civic 92 project..

Not a bad start and go to a dealer or junkyard to get the positive terminal. And make sure you take care of that rust the right way, i got rid of mine or so i thought, it came back and now im kicking myself for not cutting it all out to begin with
Old 12-22-2009, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

REplacement battery cables are sold pretty much at every autoparts store. If the windshield passes saftey inspection, it may not be worth replacing. The only reason you'd need a new reservoir is if it has a hole in it. Radiators are cheap and easy to replace. Just drain the coolant from the plastic drain plug on the bottom of the rad. Remove the hoses, lift out old rad, drop the new one in, replace the hoses, fill with coolant, start the car, let it run til the fan comes on a couple of times, then put the cap on the radiator.

Fixing the rust would not be worth it on that car.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:18 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

Canadian 92 EX Sedan. Rosewood brown. Burgundy (Wine) interior. Nice.

What's wrong with the battery post? Corroded? Rusted? You can pick up a wire battery post brush at Canadian Tire. That will buff it up enough to renew the connection. Replacement is an option, too.

^^ Fixing the rust should be a priority - it's definitely "worth it" to do on your own car if you like it and want to keep it. If you can do it yourself, then you are way ahead of the game.... lots of sites to walk you through this. Save $$$.

Honda engines are picky about coolant. If you can save the coolant you drain out, then put it back in. If it's time for new coolant, do a full flush then re-fill with Honda Approved coolant.

GL!

Last edited by deschlong; 12-22-2009 at 02:26 PM.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GSaura

Fixing the rust would not be worth it on that car.
It would be to me if that was my car. If hes planning on keeping it, then the first thing he should do is fix the rust.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i thought 4 door ex's came with z6's and painted door handles, license plate, mirrors?
Old 12-22-2009, 03:07 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Linked
i thought 4 door ex's came with z6's and painted door handles, license plate, mirrors?
Only USDM. The car is CDM.

FYI:
5th Gen Sedans:
USDM DX = CDM LX
USDM LX = CDM EX
USDM EX = CDM EX-V
Old 12-22-2009, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank for help. Yes the battery terminal's corroded and i have to clean the acid free from it. The problem was that, i was trying to un screw the positive teriminal and it eventually it got tear a littlbe bit. To want to repaint the engine bay and probably paint the car. I cannot do the body work right because it too cold outside.
Old 12-22-2009, 03:18 PM

If you have enough cable, you can cut the corroded clamp off and replace it with one of many replacement battery terminal clamps available at most places with an automotive section.
Old 12-22-2009, 03:28 PM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I love 4-door Civics, nice color too

That rust is fixable, but do it ASAP. If you can't get to it this winter, try to keep it clean as possible (especially the rear wheel wells) until the warm weather returns.

Don't be too suprised if you remove the rocker covers and find a lot more corrosion. It can spread VERY fast under there. I had to send my first '92 hatch off to the bone yard for that reason alone.
Old 12-22-2009, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BiffStroganoffsky
If you have enough cable, you can cut the corroded clamp off and replace it with one of many replacement battery terminal clamps available at most places with an automotive section.

I'm going to find a battery post terminal or probably buy one. I don't mind cutting the corroded area on the wire, but i don't want it to be too short otherwire i might not be able to reach the positive post. Keep the post coming. I'm downloading the service manual, and i already print out most of the pages.