Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Smog Test Question: High HC, Barely passed pretest.. Smog Test Only Center awaiting

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 08:52 PM
* B A N N E D *

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smog Test Question: High HC, Barely passed pretest.. Smog Test Only Center awaiting

Passed Smog. Thanks for everyone's comments

Modified by fongph at 4:16 PM 5/19/2006
Old 05-02-2006, 09:55 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: Smog Test Question: High HC, Barely passed pretest.. Smog Test Only Center awaiting (fongph)

Also is my %CO2 too high, what caused that??

Modified by fongph at 11:17 PM 5/2/2006
Old 05-02-2006, 11:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Smog Test Question: High HC, Barely passed pretest.. Smog Test Only Center awaiting (fongph)

Was your CAT been replaced? Or your not burning the gas hot enough.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:14 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: Smog Test Question: High HC, Barely passed pretest.. Smog Test Only Center awaiting (JunY)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JunY &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Was your CAT been replaced? Or your not burning the gas hot enough.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think I have the original CAT. I drove on the freeway for 1 hours in lower gear and yesterday was kind of hot. I think my CAT is fine since my CO and NO looks okay?
Old 05-03-2006, 12:14 AM

use lower octane when u go... i remember reading a thread before i went to the state referee and they were saying lower octane burn cleanest
Old 05-03-2006, 10:10 AM
* B A N N E D *

bump still need help
Old 05-03-2006, 04:20 PM

Default Re: (Rubixcu7)

the lower the octane the more impurities the dirtier it burns. When I lived in Vegas I would run 110 octane before a smog test and never had any problems.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:24 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (92 si hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92 si hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the lower the octane the more impurities the dirtier it burns. When I lived in Vegas I would run 110 octane before a smog test and never had any problems.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Other than the grade of the gas, what else I can do to help?
Old 05-03-2006, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I think they make cans of **** you can put in your gas tank that will make you pass or your money back...although I have no expierence with as there is no emissions in FL

good luck
Old 05-03-2006, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea man ur sh*t is runing pretty good, ur HC are really close have u done any genral mantance on it. but everything else is coo on it co2 is good. i know a lil about smog (cert. smog tech)
Old 05-04-2006, 05:33 AM

Default Re: (fongph)

tune up
Old 05-04-2006, 05:47 AM

Default Re: (92 si hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by egsleepercivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think they make cans of **** you can put in your gas tank that will make you pass or your money back...although I have no expierence with as there is no emissions in FL<U></U>

good luck</TD></TR></TABLE>

lucky u heh
Old 05-04-2006, 06:57 AM

I barley passed the state ref. My HC was just like yours, barely passing by 1 or 2 marks at 25 mph and the test above 25 mph. It's probably the CAT degrading. I did the works to my car. Engine flush, oil change, spark plugs - wires, coolant flush.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:35 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: Smog Test Question: High HC, Barely passed pretest.. Smog Test Only Center awaiting (monsterb18b

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by monsterb18b &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I barley passed the state ref. My HC was just like yours, barely passing by 1 or 2 marks at 25 mph and the test above 25 mph. It's probably the CAT degrading. I did the works to my car. Engine flush, oil change, spark plugs - wires, coolant flush.</TD></TR></TABLE>

So you did a basic tune-up (spark plugs/wires/cap/rotor) before the passing the state ref? I haven't replaced my spark plugs/wires/cap/rotor for 20-30k so hopefully if I do the tune-up it will improve substantially. Don't have money to spend on a CAT....

Old 05-04-2006, 11:57 AM

Default Re: Smog Test Question: High HC, Barely passed pretest.. Smog Test Only Center awaiting (monsterb18b

You can get a cheapo Universal Cat Convert. for about 60 bucks after tax at a local kragens or even cheaper from Ebay. It wont last long but will do for a smog test. Est. Life of a cheap Cat is about 1 or 2 years. If its the original cat thats on your exhaust then you would probably need to change it because its about 11-14 years old, way past Genuwine Honda Cat Life. My friends stock 1992 DX EG didnt past smog the 1st time and it ended up being the original cat, after he changed to a cheap cat from kragens he past with flying colors. Hope this helps you.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:25 PM
* B A N N E D *

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LaWMaN &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You can get a cheapo Universal Cat Convert. for about 60 bucks after tax at a local kragens or even cheaper from Ebay. It wont last long but will do for a smog test. Est. Life of a cheap Cat is about 1 or 2 years. If its the original cat thats on your exhaust then you would probably need to change it because its about 11-14 years old, way past Genuwine Honda Cat Life. My friends stock 1992 DX EG didnt past smog the 1st time and it ended up being the original cat, after he changed to a cheap cat from kragens he past with flying colors. Hope this helps you. </TD></TR></TABLE>

If the cat is degrading, can my car still make good figures in CO and NO emission?
Old 05-04-2006, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check your fuel pressure first, before you start replacing parts
Old 05-05-2006, 09:50 AM
* B A N N E D *

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by postman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">check your fuel pressure first, before you start replacing parts</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't have the fuel pressure gauge to check.. is that a quick way to verify it without using the gauge?

Old 05-05-2006, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

don't worry. the machine is setup that way. when it sees that the levels are steadily dropping when the load is stabilized, it will move on to the next phase on its own. don't worry about it. use chevron 87 octane in the car when you test and it will be fine. just go drive around for a little while before you take it for the test and don't idle it too long when you drop it off. i used to work at a cert smog center and have bar'd my cars.
Old 05-05-2006, 01:35 PM

My friends 92 DX had 252,xxx miles on it. supposedly the previous owner "Rebuilt" the motor but yea even though the motor had alot of miles, changing the cat helped produce good numbers. Passed with flying colors.
Old 05-05-2006, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It might be risky but find a shady smog place and they will pass you.
Old 05-05-2006, 10:03 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: Smog Test Question: High HC, Barely passed pretest.. Smog Test Only Center awaiting (kazman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kazman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It might be risky but find a shady smog place and they will pass you.</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL. I will if I swapped the engine before due for smog check. For now, I will just hope my stock motor finished its last mission before decomission.
Old 05-06-2006, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

haha yea either way it works.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You are almost there dude, dump some Seafoam into that engine, and you'll pass with flying colors. Good luck!
Old 05-12-2006, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BAR the car after you swap. Its not hard. Be legal and keep it clean.

Quick Reply: Smog Test Question: High HC, Barely passed pretest.. Smog Test Only Center awaiting