Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Smog ref question.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smog ref question.

I have a 95 ls motor in a 95 coupe trying to get my BAR. I have 2 questions in need of anwsers.

Does anyone know if the refs check for the secondary O2 sensor? I went under the car today and all I have is the primary O2 sensor, then the cat and a straight pipe to the exhaust.

If I have a stock intake on, do I really have to use the stock breather hose or pipe?
I just bought a stock hose, the same one that connects the pcv valve to the throttle. It's clamped down and fits perfect.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-05-2006, 09:33 PM

Default Re: Smog ref question. (monsterb18b)

obd 1 only have one o2 sensor and for the intake pipe make sure the breather hose is on. Make sure your ecu is the same year as the engine and all your sensor and vacum hose is hook up right and if you got anything that is after market it better have a C.A.R.B. e.o. number on it or he will fail you.
Old 03-05-2006, 10:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Smog ref question. (BOOSTED RIVIL)

you need the METAL breather hose.
Old 03-05-2006, 11:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Smog ref question. (Jedi_Sol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jedi_Sol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you need the METAL breather hose.</TD></TR></TABLE>

No you don't. Passed several cars so far without using the metal pipe.
Old 03-06-2006, 05:23 AM

Default Re: Smog ref question. (BOOSTED RIVIL)

I bought this car with the engine and ecu - How can I get papers to prove the engine's year and correct ecu?

I have a stock p72 ecu for a 95 LS.
Old 03-06-2006, 05:23 AM

Default Re: Smog ref question. (Hybrid93Eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

No you don't. Passed several cars so far without using the metal pipe.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Did you have the stock intake on or aftermarket?
Old 03-06-2006, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by monsterb18b &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I bought this car with the engine and ecu - How can I get papers to prove the engine's year and correct ecu?

I have a stock p72 ecu for a 95 LS.</TD></TR></TABLE>

P72 = GSR ECU, not LS

I would assume that any Acura dealership could verify the year of the motor, but why? Take it to the ref, they will know the year of the motor. Then find out what ECU they want you to have. If they specify the wrong one, go to Acura and get a print out stating the right one you need and go back to ref.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by monsterb18b &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Did you have the stock intake on or aftermarket?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Both. Doesn't matter. So long as aftermarket is carb certified for engine you are trying to ref.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

there is a head stamp that verifies what year the motor is.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Smog ref question. (AnDThEnWuT)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AnDThEnWuT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">there is a head stamp that verifies what year the motor is.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That verifies the year of the head, not the motor.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That verifies the year of the head, not the motor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

then he's half way there!!! anyways i know it only verifies the head but it gives him an idea of what year the motor is. If the head was a different year from what the original owner said it was then the new owner now knows what he is dealing with.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AnDThEnWuT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

then he's half way there!!! anyways i know it only verifies the head but it gives him an idea of what year the motor is. If the head was a different year from what the original owner said it was then the new owner now knows what he is dealing with.</TD></TR></TABLE>

and besides, the ref is not gonna check what the year of the block is. Unless there was a vin number that was provided on the motor, and i dont think obd1 motors came with vin numbers. Dont quote me on the part where i said obd1 motors dont have vin numbers cause i'm not positive.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:31 AM

P72 = GSR ECU, not LS

I would assume that any Acura dealership could verify the year of the motor, but why? Take it to the ref, they will know the year of the motor. Then find out what ECU they want you to have. If they specify the wrong one, go to Acura and get a print out stating the right one you need and go back to ref.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have to double check. Suppose to be p75.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AnDThEnWuT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

and besides, the ref is not gonna check what the year of the block is. Unless there was a vin number that was provided on the motor, and i dont think obd1 motors came with vin numbers. Dont quote me on the part where i said obd1 motors dont have vin numbers cause i'm not positive.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The ref DID check the block in my case, 1992 B17 block. You can date code ANY Honda block. Its not hard.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:33 AM

and besides, the ref is not gonna check what the year of the block is. Unless there was a vin number that was provided on the motor, and i dont think obd1 motors came with vin numbers. Dont quote me on the part where i said obd1 motors dont have vin numbers cause i'm not positive.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, I don't have vin number on my block.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:34 AM

The ref DID check the block in my case, 1992 B17 block. You can date code ANY Honda block. Its not hard.</TD></TR></TABLE>

What do you mean "date code" - What type of diagnostic is that?
Old 03-06-2006, 09:36 AM

Both. Doesn't matter. So long as aftermarket is carb certified for engine you are trying to ref.</TD></TR></TABLE>

what do you think of my setup, if you can see the picture?
Old 03-06-2006, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by monsterb18b &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

What do you mean "date code" - What type of diagnostic is that?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Its not a diagnostic. Did I ever say it was? Its how you DATE something. As in, find out when it was manufactured.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The ref DID check the block in my case, 1992 B17 block. You can date code ANY Honda block. Its not hard.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ouch sucks for you, cause when i bar'd my jdm b16, they did none of that, didnt check headstamp didnt check year of block, and didnt even ask for papers on the motor. i guess i got lucky.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ouch sucks for you, cause when i bar'd my jdm b16, they did none of that, didnt check headstamp didnt check year of block, and didnt even ask for papers on the motor. i guess i got lucky.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You completely lucked out.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 03-07-2006, 09:17 AM

Default Re: Smog ref question. (hazw8st)

Thanks for posting. Been real help. The only reason I'm going to the ref is because the state is making me go to a test only place. My buddy has a shop, so he can't smog me.

I have another question. is a cat from a 95 civic coupe interchangeable with a cat from a 95 ls coupe? I have dc headers for civic and wondering what cat I should use with it. The last guy who change my cat just welded the thing on.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yes u do have to have exact vaccum and what ever that b18 year is from, or esle they ll fail ur visual, i've been there for bout 7 times, spent **** load of cash n time, still no luck...
Old 03-07-2006, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Smog ref question. (efboy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by efboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yes u do have to have exact vaccum and what ever that b18 year is from, or esle they ll fail ur visual, i've been there for bout 7 times, spent **** load of cash n time, still no luck... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Quoting would REALLY help people know what you were responding about. I'm lost. Please clarify.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I don't have vin number on my block.</TD></TR></TABLE>

My motor didnt have a VIN cuz its JDM and my tranny didnt have a VIN because i got it from a junkyard (However, i had paperwork for both). The 3 refs i went to (Huntington Beach, Fullerton, and East LA) never asked anything about the missing VIN when i had my car tested.

Quick Reply: Smog ref question.