Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Skunk2 cam gears (sohc vtec) a FRAUD??? help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2002, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Skunk2 cam gears (sohc vtec) a FRAUD??? help!!!

Ok, sohc vtec guru's... i know plenty about my d16y8 engine but i don't know why the aftermarket cam gear makers are kinda messed up.

ok, for the experts, you should know that the z6 cam gear and y8 cam gear are slightly different (5 degrees off cam timing) so thus, the cam gear for the 2 engines should be different.

i want to know is why the hell skunk2 is selling their cam gears for 88-00 civic and not 92-95 and 96-00 like AEM or DC sports and other companies???

i want to get something like a skunk2 because i heard aem's 3 bolts slip... and i can't find of another cheap price good quality one other than skunk2.

someone help!
Old 10-26-2002, 08:20 PM
HT White Ops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Skunk2 cam gears (sohc vtec) a FRAUD??? help!!! (2000vsm)

Ah... the cam gears are adjustable. What difference does it make?
Old 10-26-2002, 08:26 PM

Default Re: Skunk2 cam gears (sohc vtec) a FRAUD??? help!!! (2000vsm)

Personally, I woundn't even waste my money on a gear and here is why. On dohc you can actually adjust the intake AND the exhaust to make power, where as on a sohc the intake and exhaust is all on one. All you are doing is changing where the motor makes it's power. If you want to do that, all you have to do is adjust the distributor back or forth...it the exact same thing. Save your $100.00-$150.00 bucks for something else. Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-26-2002, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Skunk2 cam gears (jdmsol)

adjusting with a cam gear on a sohc does help. you can set it for more low end(retard) or set it for more top end(advanced).
Old 10-26-2002, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Skunk2 cam gears (TinyCRX)

adjusting with a cam gear on a sohc does help. you can set it for more low end(retard) or set it for more top end(advanced).
the same effect can be achieved by playing with the ignition timing. meaning clocking the distributor.

SOHC cam gear is a waste of money.
Old 10-26-2002, 09:06 PM

All your are doing is moving the power/torque curve...the same as the distributor will do for you. See above.
Old 10-26-2002, 11:43 PM

but, i'm running 13psi..... if i try to do any advance or retard, my hondata corrects for it anyways... that's why the dist won't do **** for me.
Old 10-28-2003, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

???? HUH ????

what I want to know is...

How the hell is Adjusting the ignission timing and Cam timing the "SAME" thing, hmm that's right.. it isnt.

Oh and advancing your ignission timing gives you A LOT more LOW-MID-HIGH rance (all round). Its just making the cumbustion happen when the piston is at a further point in its cycle thus when their is more cylinder pressure, inwich a bigger explosion.. ahhhh and MORE POWER

Cam Advancing and Retarding your cam plays with when your valves open /close VS.
Ignission Adv. & Retarding your ignission plays with when the spark occers.

You guys sounded dumb by saying all that you just did, either that or I am a dumb **** and just sounded mroe dumb and if that is true then I will forgive myself

and even though it is a SOHC motor doesnt mean a cam gear wouldnt be useful in a succesful tune of a motor setup.

Old 10-28-2003, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmsol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Personally, I woundn't even waste my money on a gear and here is why. On dohc you can actually adjust the intake AND the exhaust to make power, where as on a sohc the intake and exhaust is all on one. All you are doing is changing where the motor makes it's power. If you want to do that, all you have to do is adjust the distributor back or forth...it the exact same thing. Save your $100.00-$150.00 bucks for something else. Just my 2 cents.</TD></TR></TABLE>
maybe he is using it with an aftermarket cam
Old 10-28-2003, 08:21 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TinyCRX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">adjusting with a cam gear on a sohc does help. you can set it for more low end(retard) or set it for more top end(advanced). </TD></TR></TABLE>

it's the other way around
Old 10-28-2003, 08:24 PM

Default Re: Skunk2 cam gears (Typesi2nv)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Typesi2nv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
How the hell is Adjusting the ignission timing and Cam timing the "SAME" thing, hmm that's right.. it isnt.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

yup they are not the same thing...

Old 10-28-2003, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Skunk2 cam gears (igyloo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by igyloo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yup they are not the same thing...

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Woo Hoo!! glad to see more people that know this!!
Old 10-28-2003, 08:36 PM

Default Re: Skunk2 cam gears (Typesi2nv)

sure they are not the same thing.. but will the same result be obtained by adjusting either?
if i advance my ignition timing 1 degree how will my powerband shift?
if i advance my cam timing 1 degree how will it shift?
what about retarding either?
Old 10-28-2003, 10:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Skunk2 cam gears (jwn7)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jwn7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sure they are not the same thing.. but will the same result be obtained by adjusting either?
if i advance my ignition timing 1 degree how will my power band shift?
if i advance my cam timing 1 degree how will it shift?
what about retarding either?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I donÂ’t believe advancing your ignition timing would shift the power band. What it is doing is this.

See the more you advance your ignition timing the further the piston pushes upwards before the fuel is ignited creating more cylinder pressure. You get a bigger explosion when the pressure is higher but when the pressure gets too high the gas will ignite before the spark gets there and that is detonation. You need a higher octane fuel that will not do this so you will be able to get more cylinder pressure before the actual spark. you know what im getting at? ThatÂ’s why a lot of guys w/ turbo setups keep ignition timing retarded some to keep pressures down and prevent detonating. Cam/valve timing has nothing to do with ignition timing and when the spark ignites the a/f mixture. Cam/Valve timing adjusts when it opens the intake valves to let the air into the cylinders and when it lets it out the pressures from the cylinders out the exhaust valves, in witch will change your power band.

Ignition timing should be a more constant change threw out the whole power band