Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

skunk front camber kit collapsed

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default skunk front camber kit collapsed

i know alot of people are using this kit so i wanted to post my experience. if you have this on your car now i'd suggest inspecting it for damage b/c a potentially serious problem may be developing.

first of all the balljoint boots on both sides basically destroyed themselves after some very short use... this is no surprise, skunk released an upgraded design balljoint which i had to buy from them for about 70$/pair. they blamed the problem on me, saying the car was too low and claimed it to be an isolated incident, yet i read a few complaints about this problem on h-t, and if it wasnt a problem they wouldnt have starting using a new balljoint, but what they say goes. so thats that.

i just took off the whole a-arm from my car about 2 weeks ago to find that the mounting tracks for the sliding balljoint have collapsed, and the metal is actually starting to crack

i had the balljoint positioned at the farthest point towards the outside of the a-arm(closest to the wheel-well) because i read stories about these kits slipping (which mine did as you can see from the worn paint in the picture) so i wanted the bolts to be resting securely at the end of the tracks... the inside of the tracks are what broke, so i have no idea how this would happen.

i was using tein RA coilovers that i lowered about 2", i had no wheel tuck and from what i know the a-arms were not contacting the upper strut tower. the metal is just too thin imho to support the weight of a car under spirited driving. enjoy the pics. i'm going to contact group-A about it soon.

Old 02-09-2004, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: skunk front camber kit collapsed (euclid)

damn, that sucks *** dude. i guess i'll buy either the ingalls or the spc kit now.
Old 02-09-2004, 09:06 PM
Boba Connoisseur

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yuck.

If you weren't even tucking, why'd you get the camber kit? It's probably not over -2... which is still decently acceptable as far as tie wear goes as long as your car is properly aligned...
Old 02-09-2004, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dang that sucks bro......I been looking into what front kit to get....skunk2 and spc are my two main choices...guess I know what to get when the times comes huh??
Old 02-09-2004, 09:12 PM

Default Re: skunk front camber kit collapsed (SkyeC)

that sux......I never really liked sunk2 because I dont hear good feed back
Are you going to try to contact any one from Skunk 2 ?
Old 02-09-2004, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: skunk front camber kit collapsed (piggs)

those upper arms are some of the cheapest designed **** i have ever seen
Old 02-09-2004, 09:19 PM

Default Re: skunk front camber kit collapsed (rathead)

i was using this kit b/c i did alot of highway driving in this car so i was getting uneven tire wear with stock a-arms. these were set to close to zero camber, only slightly negative(less than 1degree).

tires were s0-3 so they are directional, i have to dismount tire from rim to rotate worn tread to the outside.
Old 02-09-2004, 10:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wowzer, everytime i hear a horror story about the skunk2 kit i go and inspect mine for piece of mind... so far so good but it looks like tomorrow im do for another inspection!

-Bryan-
Old 02-09-2004, 10:32 PM

Default Re: skunk front camber kit collapsed (EGStreetHtch)

I found mine slipped only after hitting a very large bump. Truth be told I shouldn't have hit that bump, but they've held up to countless track sessions.
Old 02-09-2004, 10:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so i guess inglass is the way to go than huh
Old 02-09-2004, 10:38 PM
Trial User

Default Re: skunk front camber kit collapsed (sshaikh01)

Were you bottoming out or anything?
Old 02-09-2004, 10:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

damn dude..sorry to hear that...thanks..i almost bought a pair (the old ones) from this local shop...guess not now...hope you get it fixed!!
Old 02-09-2004, 10:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

this seriously reinforces my theory that SKUNK2 is not much of a step further from Tenzo or APC in the world of automotive products.
Old 02-09-2004, 10:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Gotta check mine tomorrow
Old 02-09-2004, 11:57 PM
VX
Honda-Tech Member

Quick question for euclid: Approx. when did you purchase your camber kit?
Old 02-10-2004, 12:08 AM

Default Re: skunk front camber kit collapsed (VX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Quick question for euclid: Approx. when did you purchase your camber kit?</TD></TR></TABLE>

summer of 2002

i was not bottoming out on anything, the front spring rates were 14k so suspension travel was limited. i think the metal is just too thin at that spot to handle the springrates and hard driving.

thats like the tickness of a race-prepped bridgeport rotary, not meant for durabilty

in retrospect i should have recognized that these were **** design right out of the box, thats too thin to be so long and take so much force.

skunk should have reinforced these from the start.

Modified by euclid at 4:22 AM 2/10/2004
Old 02-10-2004, 07:15 AM

ya ide go with the ingalls those are the best sorry bout that **** i hate when ppl get ripped
Old 02-10-2004, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

agh crap.....now Im worried about mine.....
Old 02-10-2004, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

good thing to know now i was going to buy them but i guess ill go wit someone else. sorry about your car but thanks for the info.
Old 02-10-2004, 07:42 AM
opi
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: skunk front camber kit collapsed (SpeedBoi101)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SpeedBoi101 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">good thing to know now i was going to buy them but i guess ill go wit someone else. sorry about your car but thanks for the info. </TD></TR></TABLE>

damn...thanks for sharing that info! not to say it's a direct reflection of the quality of skunk parts, but if it happened to you, it can happen to anybody. i hope skunk addresses this soon if in fact it is a manufacturing defect for the front camber kit so they can check the quality of the product, and the end consumers (us) can get reliable parts...
Old 02-10-2004, 07:48 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by euclid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i know alot of people are using this kit so i wanted to post my experience. if you have this on your car now i'd suggest inspecting it for damage b/c a potentially serious problem may be developing.

first of all the balljoint boots on both sides basically destroyed themselves after some very short use... this is no surprise, skunk released an upgraded design balljoint which i had to buy from them for about 70$/pair. they blamed the problem on me, saying the car was too low and claimed it to be an isolated incident, yet i read a few complaints about this problem on h-t, and if it wasnt a problem they wouldnt have starting using a new balljoint, but what they say goes. so thats that.

i just took off the whole a-arm from my car about 2 weeks ago to find that the mounting tracks for the sliding balljoint have collapsed, and the metal is actually starting to crack

i had the balljoint positioned at the farthest point towards the outside of the a-arm(closest to the wheel-well) because i read stories about these kits slipping (which mine did as you can see from the worn paint in the picture) so i wanted the bolts to be resting securely at the end of the tracks... the inside of the tracks are what broke, so i have no idea how this would happen.

i was using tein RA coilovers that i lowered about 2", i had no wheel tuck and from what i know the a-arms were not contacting the upper strut tower. the metal is just too thin imho to support the weight of a car under spirited driving. enjoy the pics. i'm going to contact group-A about it soon.

</TD></TR></TABLE>
Damn, they really screwed you. I had my ball joint break out of the plate and skunk2 sent me a set of the new design ball joints for free. You should have argued that it was there product defect. After I put in the ball joint/plate I never had a problem. They are decently built but next time I am getting the SPC kit because you can correct caster also.
Old 02-10-2004, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i don't understand how you guys trust your camber kits to hold up by four tiny little *** screws like in the skunk2 and ingalls kit
get an adjustable ball joint from progress or spc instead
Old 02-10-2004, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thats all I needed to see, im getting eibach.
Old 02-10-2004, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

damn i thought skunk 2 were top notch. thanks for the info.
Old 02-10-2004, 08:24 AM
New User

HOLY ****!!! I also have the same Skunk2 camber kit for my front and been noticing noises comming from them. Is this a sign that mine will slipping off like yours???

Quick Reply: skunk front camber kit collapsed