Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Simple wiring question.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Simple wiring question.

Now before you go and tell me to search, i have. I've been searching for a while now. I came across a few answers, but nothing actually explains what you have to do.

I have a 93 CX, i'm going to be putting a D16Z6 into it this coming weekend. I have a P28 computer, what i am trying to figure out is -what wiring do i have to actually do? Is it plug and play? I searched and i read that the motor will just swap with no problem, just need to run a wire for Vtec.

I'm trying to figure out what wire i have to run. Exactly where do i run the wire from, to where. I am a bit new about the whole wiring, this is my first motor swap personally. I'd really appreciate all the help i can get. Thanks guys.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.superhonda.com/phot...5.jpg

You will need to run a wire from the VTEC solenoid to the ECU pin.

And another from the VTEC pressure switch to the ECU. Also grounding the pressure switch.

This may help also.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1573760

The hardest part is getting the wires through the damn firewall.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ifIexplode)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ifIexplode &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">http://www.superhonda.com/phot...5.jpg

You will need to run a wire from the VTEC solenoid to the ECU pin.

And another from the VTEC pressure switch to the ECU. Also grounding the pressure switch.

This may help also.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1573760

The hardest part is getting the wires through the damn firewall. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Alright, the wire from the VTEC solenoid to the ECU pin, i'm guessing the ECU pin you are talking about is D3 Knock Sensor on that picture?

Also the wire from Vtec pressure switch to the ecu is D6 in the picture? You also said ground the pressure switch, do you mean split off the wire from the ecu or is there a 2nd wire that needs to be grounded?

Thanks again.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (crexsi)

Wait a second, before you read what i wrote. I found this, i think this answers the questions i have just asked.

"If you are running a p28/p30, this applies to you. It may work on other OBD1 ECU/engine setups as well, but i'm not promising anything. Directly from the solenoid you will need to run the green/white wire to pin A4 on the ECU, which is the VTEC Spool Solenoid Valve Control. Next, connect the orange/blue wire to pin D6, which is the VTEC oil pressure switch input. Finally, the black wire from the VTEC pressure switch must be grounded. If you are running a USDM p30, make sure you wire up your knock sensor to pin location D3, otherwise VTEC will not engage. "

Is that right? If so, my new question is, do i have to wire up the knock sensor pin to D3? Or is that only for p30 ECUs?
Old 07-22-2008, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crexsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

"If you are running a p28/p30, this applies to you. It may work on other OBD1 ECU/engine setups as well, but i'm not promising anything. Directly from the solenoid you will need to run the green/white wire to pin A4 on the ECU, which is the VTEC Spool Solenoid Valve Control. Next, connect the orange/blue wire to pin D6, which is the VTEC oil pressure switch input. Finally, the black wire from the VTEC pressure switch must be grounded. If you are running a USDM p30, make sure you wire up your knock sensor to pin location D3, otherwise VTEC will not engage. "</TD></TR></TABLE>

All that above is right, You dont need those exact color wires, It can be any wire. I forget what gauge wire it is. As for grounding the Pressure switch, Just get a two PIN connector, One black wire, One red. Its a pretty comman connector for honda.

And for a knock sensor, If youre running a P28 you wont need to wire that since the P28 doesnt look for a knock sensor.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ifIexplode)

I have another question. I noticed the computer i have is not a p28. Its a p06, are all the pins the same? The ecu was chipped for vtec ect. i just wanted to make sure it is the same ecu pinning in the diagram you gave me.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crexsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have another question. I noticed the computer i have is not a p28. Its a p06, are all the pins the same? The ecu was chipped for vtec ect. i just wanted to make sure it is the same ecu pinning in the diagram you gave me.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Anyone know this answer?
Old 07-23-2008, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

should be the same if it really is chipped for vtec, if it isnt then just get a p28, just pin it to those points then vtec should work.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:57 AM
Mr. Badwrench

a po6 is a dx non vtec ecu that can either be "set up" to run vtec with proper hardware, or with hondata, can use a map switcher and a relay with one of the outputs to control vtec.

yes the po6 has the same plugs/pins as the p28.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Hanmin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hanmin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">should be the same if it really is chipped for vtec, if it isnt then just get a p28, just pin it to those points then vtec should work.</TD></TR></TABLE>Thanks again, can't thank you enough.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostedcivicsir &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">a po6 is a dx non vtec ecu that can either be "set up" to run vtec with proper hardware, or with hondata, can use a map switcher and a relay with one of the outputs to control vtec.

yes the po6 has the same plugs/pins as the p28.</TD></TR></TABLE>Yes the ecu was chipped to run vtec, but i and still going to pick up a p28 just incase. Rather be safe than sorry. Anyway thanks a lot guys for the input!

Cheers