Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

side markers

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default side markers

okay a simple wiring question
i just installed my side markers and i need to know how to make them stay on and blink with the blinker.
the way i have them setup is the negative wire from the side marker to the neg to the blinker
then the power of the side marker to the pos of the headlight is this right
Old 12-03-2006, 11:30 AM
Darth ModerVader

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: side markers (hatch96y7)

They should be wired to the positive and negative wires of the turn signals, and only flash with the blinkers. However, if for some reason you want them to stay on and also flash, wire them into the positive turn signal wire and the positive parking light wire.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:47 AM

Default Re: side markers (Padawan)

okay i have to put the positive wire to the pos on the side marker then the neg to the pos turn on th blinker
Old 12-03-2006, 12:51 PM

bump need confirmation
Old 12-03-2006, 12:53 PM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No conformation needed. Padwan knows what he's talking about.
Old 12-03-2006, 01:07 PM

Default Re: (Eran)

im just asking do i put the neg on the side marker to one of the pos on the blinkers
cause that doesnt sound right to me
Old 12-03-2006, 01:11 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: (hatch96y7)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hatch96y7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im just asking do i put the neg on the side marker to one of the pos on the blinkers
cause that doesnt sound right to me</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's called a false ground, or double ground. The sidemarker positive (+) goes to the the parking light positive (+) and provides power. The sidemarker ground (-) goes to the blinker positive (+). When the blinker is not operational, the blinker positive (+) acts as a ground (-). When 12v power runs through the blinker positive (+), it trips the ground, and breaks the circuit, causing the sidemarker to turn off. Being as the 12v is pulsing through the wire in on/off intervals, the sidemarker in turn blinks on and off.
Old 12-03-2006, 01:17 PM
Darth ModerVader

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hatch96y7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im just asking do i put the neg on the side marker to one of the pos on the blinkers
cause that doesnt sound right to me</TD></TR></TABLE>

It isn't "right", which is why the first part of my reply was how they should actually be wired. However, for some reason, certain people like to have the side markers stay on and also blink. To do this with the single-filament bulbs, the easiest way is to connect one lead to the positive for the turn signal, and one to the positive for the parking light.
Old 12-03-2006, 01:20 PM

Default Re: (Padawan)

alrite thanks guys will do so
thanks for the help
Old 12-03-2006, 01:28 PM

will this blow out my bulbs later down the line
Old 12-03-2006, 01:29 PM
Darth ModerVader

No.
Old 12-03-2006, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Padawan)

You have to unplug the turn signal harness and do some splicing. If you want your sidemarkers to stay on while parking lights are on, then wire the side markers to the red and green wire. The only problem with this is that the sidemarker will not blink at the same time as your turn signals, it will switch off w/ your sidemarker and your turn signal (like a pattern). If you want the sidemarkers to stay off while your parking lights are on, but only turn on and blink at the same time with your turn signals, then wire the sidemarkers to the black and red wire on your parking light/ turn signal harness.
Old 12-03-2006, 03:10 PM

Default Re: (EKidd)

alrite coo i hooked everything up and works fine thanks
Old 12-05-2006, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hatch96y7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">alrite coo i hooked everything up and works fine thanks</TD></TR></TABLE> they should ONLY come on with the blinker that's the way they are meant to be wired just look at any other stock car on the road with stock sidemarkers (except the toyo 95-00 Rav4).That's my two cents do what you want it's your own car
Old 12-05-2006, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

they look so stupid when they are on all the time. i prefer them off and only blink when i have the signals on
Old 12-05-2006, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It's called a false ground, or double ground. The sidemarker positive (+) goes to the the parking light positive (+) and provides power. The sidemarker ground (-) goes to the blinker positive (+). When the blinker is not operational, the blinker positive (+) acts as a ground (-). When 12v power runs through the blinker positive (+), it trips the ground, and breaks the circuit, causing the sidemarker to turn off. Being as the 12v is pulsing through the wire in on/off intervals, the sidemarker in turn blinks on and off.</TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Padawan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It isn't "right", which is why the first part of my reply was how they should actually be wired. However, for some reason, certain people like to have the side markers stay on and also blink. To do this with the single-filament bulbs, the easiest way is to connect one lead to the positive for the turn signal, and one to the positive for the parking light. </TD></TR></TABLE>

+1
Old 12-05-2006, 01:45 PM

Default Re: side markers (jz98ctr)

um okay thanks for ur preferences on ur cars
Old 12-05-2006, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It's called a false ground, or double ground. The sidemarker positive (+) goes to the the parking light positive (+) and provides power. The sidemarker ground (-) goes to the blinker positive (+). When the blinker is not operational, the blinker positive (+) acts as a ground (-). When 12v power runs through the blinker positive (+), it trips the ground, and breaks the circuit, causing the sidemarker to turn off. Being as the 12v is pulsing through the wire in on/off intervals, the sidemarker in turn blinks on and off.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm like half asleep and have a massive headache 'n all so I'm not really following too closely but from the looks of it, wouldn't that make the side marker blink "on" whenever the cornering light is off (they'd alternate?) ?

j/w

EDIT:
I mean that in terms of opposed to terms of the blinker and side marker blinking in unison..
Old 12-05-2006, 02:17 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: side markers (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I'm like half asleep and have a massive headache 'n all so I'm not really following too closely but from the looks of it, wouldn't that make the side marker blink "on" whenever the cornering light is off (they'd alternate?) ?

j/w

EDIT:
I mean that in terms of opposed to terms of the blinker and side marker blinking in unison..</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, they would blink alternating, not in unison.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: side markers (Eran)

Yes, they would blink alternating, not in unison.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ya, that's kinda weird IMO...I mean I guess it's just preference but if I decided to waste money on a sidemarker light deal I'd want it to be in sync w/ my blinker.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:43 PM
HT White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Ya, that's kinda weird IMO...I mean I guess it's just preference but if I decided to waste money on a sidemarker light deal I'd want it to be in sync w/ my blinker.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's in sync when it's wired the way it's supposed to be, ie: off except when signaling.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:49 PM

some cars that utilize 2 blinkers whether it be a corner and a bumper or a corner and a side light blink in an alternating fashion. my 94 gmc truck was that way. not saying that it looks right on a honda.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:50 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: side markers (ridin98civic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ridin98civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">some cars that utilize 2 blinkers whether it be a corner and a bumper or a corner and a side light blink in an alternating fashion. my 94 gmc truck was that way. not saying that it looks right on a honda.</TD></TR></TABLE>

My accord alternated .....
Old 12-05-2006, 08:52 PM

Default Re: side markers (Eran)

yeah i see it all the time on acuras
Old 12-06-2006, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i don't think you can make you lights stay on and blink with the blinkers if you've got a simple 2 wire sidemarker without anything else.
the only way i can see it being feasible is if you wire up a spdt relay to each sidemarker

hook the sidemarker ground to chassis ground
hook the power wire to the output of the relay (usually pin 30)
hook pin 85 to a ground
hook pin 86 to your blinker
hook the center pin (87) to the parking lights
make sure you cover pin 87a with something so no grounding out
should work but you might have to switch pin 85 to 12V+ instead of ground
you can usually get the relays at your local stereo shop for a few bucks or you can goto radio shack and get raped at 5-10 dollars a piece
hope this helps...and if i screwed up the pins....sum1 correct me

Quick Reply: side markers