Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Show me the the (Civic) light!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 05:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Show me the the (Civic) light!

So here's the deal--

This is Jerry Hoffmann, owner of http://www.DIYAutoTune.com. I just hired a new guy on staff that I used to work with before I was running my business full time (we did IT stuff). Real smart guy but he doesn't know my products in and out yet so I'm planning a 'trial by fire' for him; basically I'll throw some of our products at him including a full MegaSquirt engine management system and Innovate Wideband system, a ton of documentation and some time and let him learn them hands-on which is how he learns best anyways. I figured a Civic may be a good car for him to work with for a few reasons--- one is I think we should be able to take control of the stock ignition system without any trouble, I think we can find one pretty affordably and locally, they are reliable so I shouldn't have to worry about fixing someone else's problems if I pick the car carefully, and it would be a good car to get familiar with anyways. I'm a Toyota guy without alot of Honda experience. That's where you guys come in.

I need your opinions/suggestions on a good used car in the under $2500 range for this type of project. I'd prefer to learn as much as possible about a car that would benefit as many of you guys as possible as I'll have my guy document everything and we'll publish it for mass consumption. I was originally thinking 92-95 Civic EX (found a 94 EX for $2200) but now I'm thinking maybe not... seems like maybe that's not very soughtafter, maybe you can clue me in as to why. Now I'm looking at the 88-91 2nd gen CRX which seems pretty sweet, though it's not a VTEC motor which I'd prefer to have him play with. VTEC is pretty simple to control though so it's not absolutely critical as I can explain it to him, or we could always swap a VTEC head on the CRX block I suppose.

Just an FYI we won't be stopping at taking control of the stock distributor based ignition system-- I want him to be familiar with all of the various ways of implementing the MegaSquirt EMS system so we'll probably then go on to convert it to the Ford EDIS distributorless ignition system, and then on to a full coil-on-plug conversion. Possibly even with a low-buck turbo build up. Everything will be documented and published. Chances are this will become his stripped down autocross car for some weekend fun as well...

I posted this on another Civic forum a few days ago with no help in sight yet... I've searched around, read the FAQs, used the search button, etc. I've gathered what info I can on my own in the time I have available, I need some input from you guys now.

Thanks in advance,

Jerry a.k.a. 'FoundSoul'
http://www.DIYAutoTune.com