Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Should the oil pump be changed when doing the timing belt?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should the oil pump be changed when doing the timing belt?

I have 80k on the clock and it goes in this week for a belt and water pump. Should it be done at that time or will it be okay until the next time at 160k?
Old 10-17-2005, 08:13 AM
* B A N N E D *

wait, but specify which engine you have too, come on....
Old 10-17-2005, 08:23 AM

Default Re: (schlit)

I have a 1.6 Liter. The suggested interval for normal conditions is 105k on the belt. It is 60k if it is a hot or cold environment. I was going to play it safe and split it in the middle. Am I off on this? I just know if it breaks it cost you a ton more to fix than just doing it a little early.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Intercooler)

My timing belt (and the rest of my belts, for that matter) showed severe wear at 50K - but then again, it took 6 years (as a daily driver) to get to that many miles on the car. Father time plays a hand in maintenance too. I changed the water pump changed at the same time as the rest of the belts, just to be safe.

My oil pump is still going strong, but YMMV...
Old 10-17-2005, 08:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Should the oil pump be changed when doing the timing belt? (Intercooler)

I would change the water pump while doing the timing belt but I see no point in dropping the oil pan and changing the oil pump.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:56 AM

Default Re: Should the oil pump be changed when doing the timing belt? (JDM-97CX)

I don't know the in/outs of this motor but someone suggest the oil pump. I thought it was maybe an external or easy to get at when doing the belt from what was described by the person that said that. If it is in the pan I think I will wait until 160k.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:32 PM

My shop said most that they have been doing have had between 100k and 125k miles. Don't know...
Old 10-18-2005, 02:32 PM

I had 220k on my original oil pump before I did my swap.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDM-97CX)

the original oil pump went at 240k on my old cx, and did the timing belt for the second time at 200 thousand, i normally do them at 60k just to be on the safe side since they cost barly anything, and they only take 30 minutes
Old 10-18-2005, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I dont see the need for the oil pump. water pump, yeah do it, much easier now.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Should the oil pump be changed when doing the timing belt? (Intercooler)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Intercooler &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have 80k on the clock and it goes in this week for a belt and water pump. Should it be done at that time or will it be okay until the next time at 160k?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have no idea what engine you have but going off of my D16y8, the oil pump is a 5 minute job when your doing the timing belt. Its better to just knock out 3 birds with one stone. Its $60-100 that is well spent and a time saver.

If you want to just do the oil pump later, your going to have to go through the whole process ( same process to change your timing belt ) just to get to the oil pump
Old 10-18-2005, 05:39 PM

Default Re: (99blackcivicSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 99blackcivicSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the original oil pump went at 240k on my old cx, and did the timing belt for the second time at 200 thousand, i normally do them at 60k just to be on the safe side since they cost barly anything, and they only take 30 minutes </TD></TR></TABLE>Seems everyone around here does things in less than 30 minutes. How is that possible?
Old 10-18-2005, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Intercooler &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Seems everyone around here does things in less than 30 minutes. How is that possible?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would like to know too.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Intercooler &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Seems everyone around here does things in less than 30 minutes. How is that possible?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Air tools are your friend.....Not my friend because i dont own anything and it takes me 2x the time it takes everyone else....but they're your friend
Old 10-18-2005, 07:13 PM

I guess I still don't get it. Just looking at it from the outside though since I haven't done this particular job yet:

- Raise hood and disconnect positive battery cable - 2 minutes
- Start loosening accessories from the top - 10 minutes
- Remove dipstick tube - 1 minute
- Remove accessories/belts that may be in the way - 3 minutes
- Remove crank balancer and bolt - 2 minutes
- Remove timing belt upper and lower covers- 2 minutes
- Mark or set engine for timing belt removal - 2 minutes
- Loosen timing belt tensioner and remove belt - 2 minutes
- Remove water pump - 5 minutes

I don't know if the radiator has to be drained or not to do this. If so then add another 5 minutes for that.

Rougly 30 minutes with zero problems if you don't have to drain the radiator. Putting it back together with tensioning the accessories, timing belt, etc... I would imagine 1 1/2 times the amount to just tear it down. That is 45 minutes to put it all back together with some time on cleaning of surfaces, etc.. I don't see how this job can be done in les than 1 hour 30 minutes. Does the car have to be jacked up to do the stuff underneath? Add 5 more minutes each way to jack it up place on stands and put back down on the ground when finished. Anyone see it my way of figuring the time?
Old 10-19-2005, 03:34 AM

No way... it can not be done in 30 minutes... :amen:

You have to take off the left tire, you have to loosen the alternator, you have to loosen the PS and the AC... you have to unscrew the lower engine mount and finally you have to take off THE BITCH BOLT (crank)...

There is plenty of work included and it just CANNOT BE DONE IN 30 MINUTES...

I say 2 hours AT LEAST if you have air tools and you are REALLY REALLY FAST...

Don't forget that 90% of those bolts you have to unscrew are in BITCH position and are a pain to get to... many of them cannot b unscrewed with air-tools cos there is no clearance...

So anyone that says that it can be done in 30 minutes, I call BS...

Take a camera, record the whole process, and if you manage to do it all in 30 minutes, I will finance you a B18 swap
Old 10-19-2005, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (KKVTi)

uhmmmmm 2 hours...are you crazy!!!!! i can do a QX4 timing belt in 45 minutes, thats with evacuating the a/c system!, and i don't take the tire off, i have a lift air tools, am very fast, i do this stuff everyday of my life, repitition is your friend i have done upwards of probably don't tell me how long it takes me, and having the right tools helps a lot, swivel sockets, air tools, crank pulley tool, it can be done i have done it
Old 10-19-2005, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 99blackcivicSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">uhmmmmm 2 hours...are you crazy!!!!! i can do a QX4 timing belt in 45 minutes, thats with evacuating the a/c system!, and i don't take the tire off, i have a lift air tools, am very fast, i do this stuff everyday of my life, repitition is your friend i have done upwards of probably don't tell me how long it takes me, and having the right tools helps a lot, swivel sockets, air tools, crank pulley tool, it can be done i have done it </TD></TR></TABLE>

I am pretty impressed with the qx4 t/belt in 2hrs. i worked at the Infiniti dealership here for like 2yrs and most guys take 3hrs. I think most were ******* it a bit but still nice work.
I now work at the Honda dealership and i see our guys do basic civic (92-2000) t/belts and waterpumps in 40mins all the time. once your comforatble and know the routine its pretty easy.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jameskersten1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jameskersten1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I am pretty impressed with the qx4 t/belt in 2hrs. i worked at the Infiniti dealership here for like 2yrs and most guys take 3hrs. I think most were ******* it a bit but still nice work.
I now work at the Honda dealership and i see our guys do basic civic (92-2000) t/belts and waterpumps in 40mins all the time. once your comforatble and know the routine its pretty easy.</TD></TR></TABLE>

no the QX4 belt is in 45 minutes of me busting my *** letting the outgassing of the a/c getting everywhere, thats the fastest i can do it i can't do it any faster, a nissan guy i know can do a pathfinder belt in 30 minutes, because on a pathfinder you don't have to discharge the a/c the timing belt that kicks my *** is a twin turbo z car those take me 2 to 2 1/2 hours, in all seriousness a 92-00 civic dual cam or single cam take 30-40 minutes, with a good tech, air tools, and being comfordable with the design
Old 10-20-2005, 08:54 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 99blackcivicSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no the QX4 belt is in 45 minutes of me busting my *** letting the outgassing of the a/c getting everywhere, thats the fastest i can do it i can't do it any faster, a nissan guy i know can do a pathfinder belt in 30 minutes, because on a pathfinder you don't have to discharge the a/c the timing belt that kicks my *** is a twin turbo z car those take me 2 to 2 1/2 hours, in all seriousness a 92-00 civic dual cam or single cam take 30-40 minutes, with a good tech, air tools, and being comfordable with the design </TD></TR></TABLE>

Look, you can talk all day long... I say you can't do Honda timing belt, water pump and tensioner in 30 minutes all together...

Yes, you can do it if everything was disasembled and with no reassembling... but with all that work before and after, you can't do it in 30 minutes and ONLY A VIDEO OF YOU DOING IT ALONE IN 30 MINUTES CAN PROOVE ME WRONG...

if you just drain the coolant and refill afetr the change that would take you 15 minutes...

OK let's see what we have to do to change the timing belt:
- valve cover off
- upper drivers mount off
- loosen the A/C belt, alternator belt and PS belt
- unscrew the lower drivers mount
- take off the left tire (or not if you have the right tools)
- drain the coolant
- take out AC, PS and alter. belt
- uncrew the bitch bolt (crank)
- take the pulley off
- set the timing to TDC
- take out the t-belt
- take out the pump
- take out the tensioner
- putting all new stuff in
- tensioning belts properly
- reassembling everything in opposite procedure
- fill the coolant

And that just can't be done in 30 minutes... cos majority of those small screws are not accessible using air tools... or you can proove me wrong with a VIDEO... I also can talk a lot and say anything, but that doesn't mean it is true
Old 10-20-2005, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this place is full of people to call bullshit, its totally amazing i swear to god, it can be done, i'm not going to take a video, i appoligize that you think your word is the be all end all
Old 10-20-2005, 12:39 PM

I don't think that...

I think there are just too many small screws to unscrew and most of them have to be unscrewed by hand...

I did many timing belts on Honda's and timing belt and pump are not the issue... but the disassembling and reassembling is... it's time consuming...

But if you do it in 30 minutes, maybe you should get a job at Honda... I think that they would LOVE to have a man who can replace 8 timing belts a day and still get a 30 minute pause after each one

Lets put it this way, 60 minutes with the right tools and very quick hands... I say t's doable... but hey bro... 30 minutes is just too-much to swallow...
Old 10-20-2005, 03:13 PM

2 an hour.... that is 16 a day or about $4800 worth of labor. Why are you not doing this on the side if nothing else? That's an easy $6000 and take a five day weekend.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Intercooler &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> 2 an hour.... that is 16 a day or about $4800 worth of labor. Why are you not doing this on the side if nothing else? That's an easy $6000 and take a five day weekend. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i do do them on the side =P but i dont over charge people like a dealer does, quite frankly i think a dealer is a ripoff lol but hey makes me money =D

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KKVTi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">But if you do it in 30 minutes, maybe you should get a job at Honda... I think that they would LOVE to have a man who can replace 8 timing belts a day and still get a 30 minute pause after each one </TD></TR></TABLE>

i don't want to work for honda, i really really enjoy working in infiniti's they are very nice cars, and the tile shop with a/c, heat, and everything is really nice =P and the fact that i have been there for 5 years and i'm only 21 helps out too, i'm comfordable where i am, when i got fed up with infiniti once the honda dealers said they woudln't be able to match my pay there at honda, so i just stayed and i really like it

plus besides when you go into a dealer you get stuck with all the warrenty work and **** work no one else wants to do, you have no customers, and the people that have been there for a while and the A men get all gravy work