Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

should i be worried about oil slightly over full mark?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should i be worried about oil slightly over full mark?

This weekend was the first time I changed the oil on my 02 Civic, and man is that Mobil 1 5w20 some thin oil! Anyways, I had a hard time checking the oil as I was refilling it because the oil is so light on the dipstick. I ended up adding about 3.7 quarts, just like the manual says.

I checked the oil again today after having the car shut off all night, and noticed that I was able to see the oil much easier. Not only that, but the oil came out to be about a millimeter above the full mark. Now I've heard how bad it is to over fill your engine, but I hate to have to jack up the car and make a mess to remove such a small amount of oil unless it's really necessary. Do I need to be worried about such a small amount over full?
Old 05-23-2005, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: should i be worried about oil slightly over full mark? (kegard)

No dont worry about it....at least i dont and mine is like quarter inch over
Old 05-23-2005, 07:33 PM

Default Re: should i be worried about oil slightly over full mark? (Hatch It)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hatch It &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No dont worry about it....at least i dont and mine is like quarter inch over</TD></TR></TABLE>

me too, at least when i change oil or top it off from it burning about a quart every change (about 3500 miles)
Old 05-23-2005, 07:33 PM

Default Re: should i be worried about oil slightly over full mark? (Hatch It)

only a milli over..... your good..... nothing to worry about
Old 05-23-2005, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: should i be worried about oil slightly over full mark? (kegard)

ur fine kegard....
Old 05-23-2005, 08:53 PM
I Deliver

My friend made his riding lawn mower into a gokart and then filled if up with over a quart of mobil one synthetic. I have never seen soooo much oil shoot out of an exhaust pipe, funny as hell. His nieghborhood was filled with white smoke in about 2 minute, I'm talkin like a smokebomb went off. Then he cut off his muffler and put a popcan in its place and painted the lawnmower blue and orange. Yes he the biggest ricer I know.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B2CivMan)

wow nobody cares
Old 05-23-2005, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dohcVTECeg2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dohcVTECeg2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wow nobody cares </TD></TR></TABLE>

this is tru !
Old 05-23-2005, 10:24 PM
most hood white kid

Default Re: (B2CivMan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B2CivMan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My friend made his riding lawn mower into a gokart and then filled if up with over a quart of mobil one synthetic. I have never seen soooo much oil shoot out of an exhaust pipe, funny as hell. His nieghborhood was filled with white smoke in about 2 minute, I'm talkin like a smokebomb went off. Then he cut off his muffler and put a popcan in its place and painted the lawnmower blue and orange. Yes he the biggest ricer I know.</TD></TR></TABLE>

white smoke is coolant....bluse smoke is oil
Old 05-24-2005, 03:42 AM

Thanks everyone. I was hoping I wouldn't have to waste any of the M1.
Old 05-24-2005, 05:13 AM

Default Re: (kegard)

by the way mobil 1 sucks. prolly one of the worst synthetics you can buy. i would not use it anymore.
Old 05-24-2005, 05:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (hondagod)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondagod &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">by the way mobil 1 sucks. prolly one of the worst synthetics you can buy. i would not use it anymore.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Shut your pie hole

Unless your going to post something to back up that statement
Old 05-24-2005, 05:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondagod &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">by the way mobil 1 sucks. prolly one of the worst synthetics you can buy. i would not use it anymore.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Still waiting to hear why... Mobil 1 is all I ever use. from me.

Old 05-24-2005, 05:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (IHateJDM)

mobile 1 burns a lot faster than other synthetic oils... i have stopped using synthetic oils.. i only run normal oil now...
Old 05-24-2005, 05:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (Nextelbuddy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Nextelbuddy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">mobile 1 burns a lot faster than other synthetic oils... i have stopped using synthetic oils.. i only run normal oil now...</TD></TR></TABLE>

i have heard this before, but if you're burning oil, synthetic probably isn't a good idea anyways.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (IHateJDM)

Why would you want 5w20?
Old 05-24-2005, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you are an idiot mobil 1 is one of the best synthetics on the market.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:10 AM

Default Re: (Kamin)

5w20 is what Honda recommends for this engine.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:10 AM

Default Re: (Kamin)

i'd stick with amsoil 5-30.... sure its a little more per quart...and its hard to find.. but with change intervals of 25,000 km.... sounds good.... of course i change it before then anyways...
Old 05-24-2005, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

LMAO..........I too would like you to explain and back up your statement. Just because your name is hondagod, doesnt mean that you dont have to back up your statements. So please inform us all Mr. hondagod Sir.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (kegard)

Well, this is on of the problems with Honda-tech.. Too many people who "Think" they know whats right, when in reality, they are just speaking off hearsay and honestly don't know the real facts behind thier statements.

If you overfill the crankcase it CAN cause damage and isn't something you should simply blow off as being "fine". It can cause the oil to essentially be "whipped" into a foam and thus it will contain many many small bubbles. Do you think the oil pump is good at pumping air? Prolly not. Do you think that air int he oil will cause a drop in oil pressure? Most certainly. Do you think a drop in oil pressure like this would cause bearing damage? Yes. Do you think the drop in oil pressure would also cause a rise in heat on bearing surfaces and cylinder walls? Yes again.

I am not going to say for sure that you have enough oil in the crankcase to cause this problem, but you need to be aware that it CAN cause problems and should not be left alone. A mm or so over, I wouldn't freak out quite this much. But those who really over fill the crankcase could be asking for trouble. For the peace of mind, I would drain that pan down to the correct level. You would also be surprised to know that some engines actually perform better with the oil level slightly UNDERfull.

Modified by Hybrid93Eg at 9:37 AM 5/24/2005
Old 05-24-2005, 08:36 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (Hybrid93Eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I am not going to say for sure that you have enough oil in the crankcase to cause this problem, but you need to be aware that it CAN cause problems and should not be left alone. A mm or so over, I wouldn't freak out quite this much. But those who really over fill the crankcase could be asking for trouble. For the peace of mind, I would drain that pan down to the correct level. You would also be surprised to know that some engines actually perform better with the oil level slightly UNDERfull.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Exaxctly, it CAN cause problems. Your logic sure is there, but I don't think he has to worry about it. I'm sure plenty of people on HT have filled it over the marker more than 1mm. So yeah, it's possible, the logic works, but in reality, it's a no-go. If his measurements are correct 1mm over the marker is nothing to worry about.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (CoolJimWhy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CoolJimWhy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Exaxctly, it CAN cause problems. Your logic sure is there, but I don't think he has to worry about it. I'm sure plenty of people on HT have filled it over the marker more than 1mm. So yeah, it's possible, the logic works, but in reality, it's a no-go. If his measurements are correct 1mm over the marker is nothing to worry about.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

How does my "logic not work" when I specifically said:

"A mm or so over, I wouldn't freak out quite this much."

Old 05-24-2005, 08:41 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well, this is on of the problems with Honda-tech.. Too many people who "Think" they know whats right, when in reality, they are just speaking off hearsay and honestly don't know the real facts behind thier statements.

If you overfill the crankcase it CAN cause damage and isn't something you should simply blow off as being "fine". It can cause the oil to essentially be "whipped" into a foam and thus it will contain many many small bubbles. Do you think the oil pump is good at pumping air? Prolly not. Do you think that air int he oil will cause a drop in oil pressure? Most certainly. Do you think a drop in oil pressure like this would cause bearing damage? Yes. Do you think the drop in oil pressure would also cause a rise in heat on bearing surfaces and cylinder walls? Yes again.

I am not going to say for sure that you have enough oil in the crankcase to cause this problem, but you need to be aware that it CAN cause problems and should not be left alone. A mm or so over, I wouldn't freak out quite this much. But those who really over fill the crankcase could be asking for trouble. For the peace of mind, I would drain that pan down to the correct level. You would also be surprised to know that some engines actually perform better with the oil level slightly UNDERfull.

Modified by Hybrid93Eg at 9:37 AM 5/24/2005</TD></TR></TABLE>

Couldn't have put that any better!!
Old 05-24-2005, 06:44 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well, this is on of the problems with Honda-tech.. Too many people who "Think" they know whats right, when in reality, they are just speaking off hearsay and honestly don't know the real facts behind thier statements.

Modified by Hybrid93Eg at 9:37 AM 5/24/2005</TD></TR></TABLE>

How do you drain a millimeter?

Dipsticks aren't even accurate enough to worry about such a small level.

You have to overfill quite a bit before the foaming thing happens and engine damage occurs, however this varies from engine to engine and I would not recommend turning your engine into a guinea pig.

Quick Reply: should i be worried about oil slightly over full mark?