Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Should I trade my hatch for a GTI?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2002, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I trade my hatch for a GTI?

>>>>Already searched..

I found a really great GTI locally here.

It's a 1.8t
Chipped
Exhuast
Upgraded Turbo

My hatch is undergoing open-heart surgery right now (h22)

I am torn between the two.

I love my hatch, don't get me wrong, but the GTI is such a well built machine.

Help !
Old 11-07-2002, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Should I trade my hatch for a GTI? (jin_)

do what you want.
Old 11-07-2002, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Should I trade my hatch for a GTI? (chainsaw)

Flip a coin !

Cant go wrong with either one
Old 11-07-2002, 02:45 PM
New User

I went from a GTI to an R... I would do the same for a Hatch.

The GTI is fun in a straight line. That was it. Oh, btw, the tranny on VW's sucks ****.

I really didn't like my GTI, even after chip, bilsteins, and H&R springs.

I recommend sticking with the hatch.
Old 11-07-2002, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Should I trade my hatch for a GTI? (MoBlack)

I went from a GTI to an R... I would do the same for a Hatch.

The GTI is fun in a straight line. That was it. Oh, btw, the tranny on VW's sucks ****.

I really didn't like my GTI, even after chip, bilsteins, and H&R springs.

I recommend sticking with the hatch.
Old 11-07-2002, 07:50 PM

Default Re: Should I trade my hatch for a GTI? (ransack)

Ive had 4 VW's 64,90,92,98 ................. STAY w/ the hatch.............dubs are cool and all but they break (tranny 4 times on me, headgasket, fuct rings, and etc) way to much.............
Old 11-07-2002, 08:11 PM

Default Re: Should I trade my hatch for a GTI? (DX187VTEC)

I have a friend with a 2002 gti and it has been nothing but problems. 1 week after he bought it, it started overheating. About 2 months after that, his windows would fall off the track. He also had a problem with his intake camshaft. Good thing it was still under warranty. Oh yeah, stick with the hatch!
Old 11-07-2002, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Should I trade my hatch for a GTI? (96b18c1vic)

keep the hatch....
Honda parts are cheap
VW parts cost money
Old 11-07-2002, 08:50 PM

Default Re: Should I trade my hatch for a GTI? (zzZZzzleeperCX)

hey whata you know a post for me (a friend showd me)

Personally I haven't expierenced the fun life of a honda, its not like Honda's are necesarily cheap, Teins cost as much as our coilovers and if I had a honda I wouldn't get ghetto ****. There pretty much the same if you wanna do it right. I know many people with Honda's...I love em. I might even end up with one in a few years so watch out for me, Im going to have all of the mods that GTI has except the upgraded turbo...If the turbo is upgraded its probably big or just a ko4 ( one step above stock ko3:bolt on those aren't to reliable so watch out...Its up to you man, if your sick of the honda world go for it...if you want something diffrent then the go German...don't think you could powershift every stop sign and still for years..Ive already broken one syncro. PM me If you wanna ask....
Old 11-07-2002, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my bro has a 00 GTI 1.8T one of the 1st ones to come out at the dealer.. well overall it has been a good car.. only problems where like someone else said the window coming off the track.. but I have 4-5 friends who own GOLF 4'S and these is common..and then the wiring in the back lights.. seems like many VWs **** even BMW 3 series the newer ones always seem to blow out real fast.. but overall the body is perfect.. the handling is great .. who ever said GTIs are only fun on straight line is well DUMB they are built for speed and handling that is why the suspension is a tad stiffer and u can not beat the Recaro basically stock seats I mean those things hug..but it's had 60k hard miles on it and no problems whatsoever and well the tranny holds up fine in this one.. u have the remember when people **** on VWs they mean the VR6s and the 2.0L and 1.8L non turbo engines.. the 1.8T is basically one of the best engines to come out of europe in a long time and FWD and AWD trannies really don't have to many problems..I say they are as good as any b series tranny.. but honestly PARTS are a grip when it comes to small stuff..so good luck JIN

[Modified by IM ALL BOB, 9:59 PM 11/7/2002]
Old 11-07-2002, 08:59 PM

Default Re: Should I trade my hatch for a GTI? (MoBlack)

I used to drive a GTI VR6 as well.. my first car.. God, I found out how much it sucked after I traded it in for a Type R... Stick with Honda.. but I dont know about H22 hatch(not my cup of tea)...
Old 11-07-2002, 09:05 PM

Default Re: Should I trade my hatch for a GTI?

Find out exactly what company those mods are...

O yeah what year?

[Modified by tadeh, 6:07 AM 11/8/2002]
Old 11-07-2002, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Should I trade my hatch for a GTI? (tadeh)

h22 hatch is awesome man. .. u have an mr2 as a beater anyways....just wait till ur transplant is done..ull be satisfied.
Old 11-07-2002, 09:42 PM

Default Re: Should I trade my hatch for a GTI? (tadeh)

im gonna say go for it if you wanna try something new. the honda scene is getting kinda old (not that i care) and everybody is looking to get a 240sx or scooby or vw just to get away from it all. im looking to get a different car too, mostly window shopping because im poor. but it seems like i will always keep my 98 hatch cause thats what i wanted in the first place.
Old 11-07-2002, 09:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Should I trade my hatch for a GTI? (krazn)

The only way I would trade my hatch for a GTI is for the nice interior and if it had a VR6. I havent been impressed by any of the 1.8T's around here...but damn, those VR6's ound soooooo sweet and haul ***. A couple of my friends have VR6s and I envy them.........until they have to fix/replace something. Then I go back to loving Honda .
Old 11-07-2002, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

do what you want.
but i would keep the hatchy with the h22...
Old 11-07-2002, 10:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Should I trade my hatch for a GTI? (slowasshatch)

actually a 1.8T is easier to MOD and for a less cost will out acclerate a VR6..I've raced a GOLF 3 VR6 with my 98 hb Ls motor/gsr tranny and easily kept up with a modded VR6..but the 1.8T can easily double it's horsepower for 1500 or so with the right mods.. I should know my brother burns me in any gear in his 1.8T
Old 11-07-2002, 10:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i say get the gti just to try something different and if you don't like it then sell it.

only thing bad about vw's is that parts cost more.

[Modified by star&buc, 2:36 AM 11/8/2002]
Old 11-08-2002, 06:12 AM

Default Re: Should I trade my hatch for a GTI? (IM ALL BOB)

actually a 1.8T is easier to MOD and for a less cost will out acclerate a VR6..I've raced a GOLF 3 VR6 with my 98 hb Ls motor/gsr tranny and easily kept up with a modded VR6..but the 1.8T can easily double it's horsepower for 1500 or so with the right mods.. I should know my brother burns me in any gear in his 1.8T
agreed, everyone who experience the VR6 knows it's not all that great.. especially the gear, clutch, handling... it has a lot of torque, but it's not all that fast.. even a stock prelude can smoke it... but then 1.8T is very different, and it's easy to mod(but easier than honda? I think not).. and it wont even come close to Honda in handling... but then if you care more about comfort and interior.. go for the GTI (I owned one, and it felt nowhere close to a European car, compare to my M3.. ), Honda is all about performance.. after driving 2 of the most famous European sport compact, I still like Honda(except for that rattling I am trying to locate in my EG )!!!

im gonna say go for it if you wanna try something new. the honda scene is getting kinda old (not that i care) and everybody is looking to get a 240sx or scooby or vw just to get away from it all. im looking to get a different car too, mostly window shopping because im poor. but it seems like i will always keep my 98 hatch cause thats what i wanted in the first place.
You sound like a groupie to me.. do it for the sake of your preference, not becoz everyone else is doing it...

[Modified by chusai, 10:13 AM 11/8/2002]
Old 11-08-2002, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I love Vdubs! One of my friends back home has a GTI VR6, and that car is no *****. But I will have to agree with many people here. Golf/GTI are seriously lacking in the handling department. And her seats sucked!! When I took her car through some twisties, all I could think about was how much I missed my Civ hatch. When we got out on the open highway, that was another story!
Old 11-08-2002, 06:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-08-2002, 06:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Should I trade my hatch for a GTI? (tonyxcom)

Trade it ! Its something new and different.
Old 11-08-2002, 06:32 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: Should I trade my hatch for a GTI? (chusai)

You sound like a groupie to me.. do it for the sake of your preference, not becoz everyone else is doing it...
My thoughts exactly.

I'm so damn sick of people coming in here and rubbing their vaginas telling everyone how they're getting out of Honda because the "scene" has gotten lame or whatever. If you are doing it becauyse you really want to and you're not letting anyone else's owning a certai car sway you, then more power to you.

I'm not going to sit here and say that Honda is the only maker for every person - that's just stupid. If you jump **** to another manufacturer then good for you for being able to make decisions and keep yourself happy, but if you cite one of the reasons being "everyone has a Honda..." then you suck.
Old 11-08-2002, 06:33 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: Should I trade my hatch for a GTI? (POLLO)

Trade it ! Its something new and different.
...Or go to a VW MB and see how common they are also.

Old 11-08-2002, 06:35 AM
New User

Default Re: Should I trade my hatch for a GTI? (POLLO)

If the turbo is upgraded to a K04, be careful. They are having problems with them blowing out after 5k miles. I know a lot of people who have veedubs. They are great little cars and the 1.8T chipped is one of the best mods for the money. They can't handle worth much, and at the track, traction is a huge issue with them. Go drive the car and see if you like it.

Quick Reply: Should I trade my hatch for a GTI?