Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Should I sell my ITR hybrid?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2002, 08:21 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I sell my ITR hybrid?

As some of you know, i had a seizure 2 weeks ago. Since then i have been on anti-seizure medicine which has been working good (no seizures thankfully). I have a 94 Si hatchback w/ an ITR swap (96 JDM Spec-R). Best 1/4 is 14.3 which i feel is good for the car. The car has around 114k and motor has around 60k. My doctor today told me that I cannot drive for six months. I will still have to pay insurance and car payments even though im not driving. My question is, do y'all think i should try and sell it, and then get new car in the fall (october 19 is when i get to drive again), or should i keep it and let it sit in the driveway? I'd like to hear some opinions. Later.
Brett
Old 05-03-2002, 08:25 AM
PSU
formerly DxHatchback

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Should I sell my ITR hybrid? (blykins)

sad to say, but id sell it because you prolly wont have the time to take care of it
Old 05-03-2002, 08:28 AM
Banned

Default Re: Should I sell my ITR hybrid? (DxHatchback)

sad to say, but id sell it because you prolly wont have the time to take care of it
I'll still be washing it and ill have a friend drive it (w/ me being passenger) every couple weeks just to keep things working good.
Old 05-03-2002, 08:29 AM
Banned

Default Re: Should I sell my ITR hybrid? (hybridhondas)

hey man, if your selling it, email e at stephen@benchmarkracing.com, let me know what youd like for it! Id be glad to take it off your hands.
7min. since posting and i got an offer-LOL. But yea ill email you when i decide what im doing.

[Modified by blykins, 5:31 PM 5/3/2002]
Old 05-03-2002, 09:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a little off topic...

I remember watching my friend have a seizure. Seriously, one of the scariest things I've ever seen My prayers are with you...hopefully all will be well
Old 05-03-2002, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Should I sell my ITR hybrid? (fowler)

Yes, I think you should sell it. Sorry to hear about the seizures. Are you going to be out of the game for good? Then again, if it's just 6 months, I suppose you can run it every once in a while...
Old 05-03-2002, 09:26 AM
Banned

a little off topic...

I remember watching my friend have a seizure. Seriously, one of the scariest things I've ever seen My prayers are with you...hopefully all will be well
It happend in a car dealership's showroom (we were kinda poking fun at the new Si's) even though a salesman was saying "they're increbibly fast" , he didnt know there was 2 hybrids outside that could whoops its *** easily-haha.
Anyways-
Yea tom and the others there said it was pretty scary, he said my whole body was shaking like i was being electricuted or something. Afterwards, my tongue was sore b/c i had been biting down on it so hard during the seizure, i also urinated on myself(couldnt help it, its part of the seizure), i was embarassed but got over it. For some reason i was so interested in what had happend, that i was wanted to ask the dealership to see the security camera's footage so i could see exactly what all took place, im kinda glad after hearing seizure stories that i havent seen it.

[Modified by blykins, 6:27 PM 5/3/2002]
Old 05-03-2002, 09:29 AM
Banned

Default Re: Should I sell my ITR hybrid? (dom93hatch)

Yes, I think you should sell it. Sorry to hear about the seizures. Are you going to be out of the game for good? Then again, if it's just 6 months, I suppose you can run it every once in a while...
\

I'll be washing it and having friends drive it around the block just to make sure everything is working good.
Old 05-03-2002, 09:34 AM

glad to hear that you are ok............. sorry no comments on the car but i would probley keep it because i will never even have the money to have a R under the hood well at least not for a few years.
Old 05-03-2002, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Should I sell my ITR hybrid? (silo)

Sorry to hear about your seizure. My ex-girlfriend had grand maul seizures (sp? - the worst kind you can have) due to an arterial malformation in her brain. I saw her have one and was REALLY freaky. I had to hold her down so she wouldn't thrash all over the floor. Sucks that the law forces the doctor to report your seizure, but it also states that anyone who has a seizure cannot drive for 6 months (hence, your dilemma, as i'm sure you're already aware). Good luck with your recovery....

B96v6
Old 05-03-2002, 10:43 AM
Future Texas Boy

Default Re: Should I sell my ITR hybrid? (B96v6)

Glad you ok.

I`d sell it and use the downtime to plan another project. Building them is the fun part, sounds like you are done w/ your Hybrid.

Ryan
Old 05-03-2002, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Should I sell my ITR hybrid? (vtecvoodoo)

sorry to hear about your seizure man, my boss had one 2 yrs ago and now its a reaccuring thing and he cant work no more..... not to scare you or anything
but imo you should sell it
make sure your healthy first and thats less bills you have to worry about during these next few months
Old 05-03-2002, 10:57 AM
Banned

Default Re: Should I sell my ITR hybrid? (airon)

Here's the kicker:
I forgot to mention my doctor cleared me to work and he knows what i do.
Want to know what i do?
I PARK CARS at honda. BUT since its private property and not a public road, its fine for me to be driving. So maybe i can park on my car at work and haul *** at 2am on the parking lot-haha.

[Modified by blykins, 8:16 PM 5/3/2002]

[Modified by blykins, 8:16 PM 5/3/2002]
Old 05-03-2002, 11:28 AM

Don't sell it. you'll regret it if you do.
Old 05-03-2002, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Six months isn't that long. When my car got stolen it was just sitting in the lot for over a year before i decided to build it back up. Next thing you know you'll be driving again. Good luck with the recovery
Old 05-03-2002, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Should I sell my ITR hybrid? (jdmhatch)

Yeah 6 months is nothing, especially if you can't drive it. I've been in college and I didn't bring it here with me and yes I got to drive it a weekend or 2 during vacations but not for a long period of time. Though for those few days its so refreshing hearing my car and mines practically stock. Although I would see what people offer you because you never know you could get a deal that you can't refuse. Also good luck on the recovery and I'm glad to hear that your alright.
Old 05-03-2002, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Glad to hear that you're ok. Keep the car.
Old 05-03-2002, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

honestly you may think of selling it.. becuz my brother has epilepsy(damn I can't spell for ****)..and he couldn't drive for almost 1 year when he had his 1st seizure.. and you probably taking something like tegrtal or something that sounds like that.. but if your levels don't get any better and you do find out you have epilepsy.. you could be out for 1-2 yrs..so I say discuss with your doctor and if you get one hell of a offer sale it..and like vtec-poopoo(J/K RYAN) build another project car or forget all that and buy a Honda Insight and drop a H22 in it =x but good luck and god bless

[Modified by pandafreak, 11:09 PM 5/3/2002]
Old 05-03-2002, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

keep the car, get a good car cover or park her in the garage all the time. you will regrete it if you sell it.
Old 05-04-2002, 01:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Should I sell my ITR hybrid? (95CivicSi)

i would cancel your insurance and let it sit in the garage.
no way would i sell a low 14 second car just because i cant drive it for 6 months
good luck on the decision.
Old 05-04-2002, 01:09 AM

Glad to hear that you're okay, about the car, if you think you'll have enough cash to plan another project, by all means do so. I think it would be fun to do something else on another car. If you don't, I would keep the car.
Old 05-04-2002, 01:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My prayers are with you...hopefully all will be well

take care, and make sure your health is good bro!

as far as the car? cancel insurance as kamin said and let it rest, itr/hybrids r0ck !
Old 05-04-2002, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Should I sell my ITR hybrid? (hybrider93)

yeah youre able to cancel insurance and keep the car, youre going to regret it big time!!!!
Old 05-04-2002, 06:16 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: Should I sell my ITR hybrid? (JDM Dasilva)

Hey guys I was with Brett (blykins) when he had the seizure and it was definately shocking.

The worst part about it was that just 15 minutes before his seizure we were talking about how people fake seizures and turrette's attacks!

Anyways, you guys probably don't know how much blykins loves his car. He's had a B16A in it before, and he loved the car then when it was running almost a full second slower, and I know he loves the car now even more.

He traded STRAIGHT up for a JDM Type R swap to some guy who really wanted his B16A to boost on. (Don't ask, long story - point is that he got the Type R motor for basically free - all he had to do was re-buy axles, linkage, etc.)

So when it all comes down there's no way that blykins could duplicate this car he has now for as cheap as he's got it now. I drove his car to my house and made the long drive up to his house to return his car to him after he got out of the hospital and the car is bad-***.

Do NOT sell the car Brett. Use this time to hurry up and pay the car off if possible, and definately cancel or at least transfer the insurance to your Mom's name or something to lower it in the mean time.

If it turns out that for some reason they say you can't drive any more, THEN sell it. Might be risky to keep it now, but you'll regret selling your car.

I almost regretted selling my old car and I put the thing back to stock!

6 months ain't too bad - I know, because I've been down 6 months building my CX.

[Modified by B18C5-EH2, 10:17 AM 5/4/2002]
Old 05-04-2002, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Should I sell my ITR hybrid? (B18C5-EH2)

wow glad to hear you didnt get hurt in the seizure, at least you werent driving when that happened. best wishes to you also.

now about your car, do NOT sell it, 6 months is nothing. PLUS it sounds like your car is supaaaaah-wicked without a doubt, so dont let it go, you wont get your moneys worth.
in the meantime, go to every autocross possible and grab rides with instructors to see how they drive their cars! also take your car off as much insurance as possible, try to refinance your loan and see if you can keep it somewhere safe too.

Quick Reply: Should I sell my ITR hybrid?