Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

should i pay $2K for............ i searched but still confused

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 08:09 AM
* B A N N E D *

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should i pay $2K for............ i searched but still confused

alright my buddy has a JDM B18c in his EF civic right now... and is going K series now.

he will include a GSR transmission with a Qualife LSD... only drawback is that its cable (will it still work, and how)

he has hasport mounts but im not sure they will even work, will they?

should i take the axles and shift linkage and shifter....? anything else that i can pull off? ty for any help
Old 06-16-2007, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: should i pay $2K for............ i searched but still confused (akunamatta)

ok what car is this even going into. more info needed
Old 06-16-2007, 01:38 PM
* B A N N E D *

oooo my bad man, its going into my 92 eh2 cx non- vtec
Old 06-16-2007, 02:34 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (akunamatta)

You need the whole swap. Engine, trans, shift linkage maybe the shifter depending on what linkage and shifter combo he's using, axles, ecu....whatever.

You can do a cable to hydro conversion on the trans.

The hasport mounts will not work, and they're very annoying, so i wouldnt use them anyway. You'll need DC mounts. Find an LS or something at the junkyard, and take all the mounts and brackets if they're available.

Not totally sure if his linkage will work, you might have to get an Integra one. Get the integra shifter while you're at it, its a lot nicer, and it fits into the integra linkage. (dc)

Not sure if his axles will work either.

What ECU is he using?

I would just take the motor, and buy myself a B16 hydro trans (they're much nicer than cable), and buy an OBD1 GSR ecu. Unless he already has the OBD1 GSR or whatever other OBD1 ecu like a chipped P28 or something.
Old 06-16-2007, 04:12 PM
* B A N N E D *

ok, so do u think i should just buy it and figure out all the problems upon installation.

and maybe he can lower the price because some of the parts wont work.... or is it a fair deal?
Old 06-16-2007, 08:19 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by akunamatta &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok, so do u think i should just buy it and figure out all the problems upon installation.

and maybe he can lower the price because some of the parts wont work.... or is it a fair deal?</TD></TR></TABLE>

sorta kinda. I guess. Depending on the shape of the motor. I mean you might have to buy like $500 worth of stuff. Then that's $2500 for a TWICE used motor. That he probably beat the crap out of. The cable to hydro trans adapter is a couple hundred i think. Then mounts ...if you can find them at a junk yard are gonna be $50 or so. You're most likely gonna have to source those elsewhere..so they'll be around $100-150. Then maybe either an ECU or a conversion harness for $125+. Then maybe a shift linkage, axles...iduno. Seems like you'll be spending atleast $2500.

For $3100 plus shipping, you can get a GSR motor, hydo trans, ecu....axles...a complete change over from H motors. Then you have a warranty and everything. Theres Honda tech sponsors that have sites that sell motors. For about $500-600 (+shipping) more (depending on what parts you will have to buy for your friend's swap) you can have a better deal.

Is he a real good friend? if you can swap everything, and see what fits and what doesnt. Then you can re think the price.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B serious)

I bought a complete b16 swap out of an ef and put it in my eg and let me tell you that you are gonna need some different parts.

Shift linkage won't work. You will need 94-01 integra.

Axles will work even with a hydro tranny. I kept mine.

If you get a hydro tranny instead you will need a hydro clutch. Which I recommend. You can sell the cable tranny for around the same as a gsr tranny but I recommend a b16 or ITR tranny if you can they are much nicer.

Driver side mount will need to be changed. The bracket and the mount. ef uses a 2 bolt mount and you need the 3 bolt one for obd1. The angles are different.

You will need a different rear L bracket from a 94-01 teg also.

You will need a 92-95 ex/si engine harness and a 92 hatch is prewired to shock tower for vtec. 92's are nice.

Chipped P28 or a P72 ecu. If you have secondaries then get a chipped P72 so you tune your car.

If you buy the swap from him I suggest getting everything possible that he is willing to give you and then ask for more.
Sell what you don't need and use that money to buy the things you need. Your 92 D series mounts will work for the tranny and rear bracket. You will need a B-series drivers side mount from a DC I suggest inserts at the minimum until you can get better mounts.
If you keep A/C then get either a CRV A/C bracket or a Del Sol B16 bracket. If you don't keep ac then the gsr bracket will work for the torque mount. you won't have a tranny torque mount bracket unless you get a hydro tranny.

Use your d series torque mounts if you replace them don't use the teggy ones. They are different.

Hope this helps you. I have done this so I talk from experience. I had to figure all this **** out the hard way. By my self so all this information stuck inside my head because I put a lot of time searching for this very same ****.

Good luck and PM me ONLY if you have to. I will try to help.
Old 06-16-2007, 10:02 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (B serious)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sorta kinda. I guess. Depending on the shape of the motor. I mean you might have to buy like $500 worth of stuff. Then that's $2500 for a TWICE used motor. That he probably beat the crap out of. The cable to hydro trans adapter is a couple hundred i think. Then mounts ...if you can find them at a junk yard are gonna be $50 or so. You're most likely gonna have to source those elsewhere..so they'll be around $100-150. Then maybe either an ECU or a conversion harness for $125+. Then maybe a shift linkage, axles...iduno. Seems like you'll be spending atleast $2500.

For $3100 plus shipping, you can get a GSR motor, hydo trans, ecu....axles...a complete change over from H motors. Then you have a warranty and everything. Theres Honda tech sponsors that have sites that sell motors. For about $500-600 (+shipping) more (depending on what parts you will have to buy for your friend's swap) you can have a better deal.

Is he a real good friend? if you can swap everything, and see what fits and what doesnt. Then you can re think the price. </TD></TR></TABLE>

thats what im thinking, see what fits... his ef hatch is sitting in a shop now waiting for a k, so i should just take everything i can.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sauceja &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I bought a complete b16 swap out of an ef and put it in my eg and let me tell you that you are gonna need some different parts.

Shift linkage won't work. You will need 94-01 integra.

Axles will work even with a hydro tranny. I kept mine.

If you get a hydro tranny instead you will need a hydro clutch. Which I recommend. You can sell the cable tranny for around the same as a gsr tranny but I recommend a b16 or ITR tranny if you can they are much nicer.

Driver side mount will need to be changed. The bracket and the mount. ef uses a 2 bolt mount and you need the 3 bolt one for obd1. The angles are different.

You will need a different rear L bracket from a 94-01 teg also.

You will need a 92-95 ex/si engine harness and a 92 hatch is prewired to shock tower for vtec. 92's are nice.

Chipped P28 or a P72 ecu. If you have secondaries then get a chipped P72 so you tune your car.

If you buy the swap from him I suggest getting everything possible that he is willing to give you and then ask for more.
Sell what you don't need and use that money to buy the things you need. Your 92 D series mounts will work for the tranny and rear bracket. You will need a B-series drivers side mount from a DC I suggest inserts at the minimum until you can get better mounts.
If you keep A/C then get either a CRV A/C bracket or a Del Sol B16 bracket. If you don't keep ac then the gsr bracket will work for the torque mount. you won't have a tranny torque mount bracket unless you get a hydro tranny.

Use your d series torque mounts if you replace them don't use the teggy ones. They are different.

Hope this helps you. I have done this so I talk from experience. I had to figure all this **** out the hard way. By my self so all this information stuck inside my head because I put a lot of time searching for this very same ****.

Good luck and PM me ONLY if you have to. I will try to help.</TD></TR></TABLE>

that is a lot of good info i can use, thank you. it sounds like the b16 swap you bought came with a hydro transmission already... im not understanding the advantage of hydro, newer possibly? other wise i would just keep the cable gsr trans w/ a qualife lsd.

im going to talk to him tommorow and see what all is included, hopfully i can get this goin on a low budget.
Old 06-16-2007, 10:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No it came with a cable tranny. I sold it and got a b16 Y21 LSD tranny. LSD was an option for those jdm. Plus I got a decent deal on it.

Like I said I sold alot of parts to get the right ones I needed. It took some time but everything worked out in the long run.

Now I am going poormans R because the B16 sucked *****.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:53 AM
* B A N N E D *

cool man, i talked to my buddy and he said anything i want will be included..... should i still jump on this?... and maybe sell the cable GSR qualife transmission and get an LSD'd B16 hydro?

btw, this engine problaly has been beaten on, he auto-xed it and claimed he needs more power and he doesnt have room for a turbo because he needs to keep his big radiator.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

We can't tell you what to buy but it wouldn't be that bad of a price. While you are selling and buying the parts you need throw some new gaskets and seals all around and replace bearings and rings if you can.

Should be a stout motor yet even if it was ragged on. If you got the money take it.