Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Short shifter questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2003, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Short shifter questions

First of all, I already did a search, and it didnt answer my questions very well.

I was just wondering what everyone thought of the B&M SS, I know everyone loves the Skunk2 SS, but there isnt much talk about the B&M one. Is the Skunk2 shifter really worth the extra $50??

Also, how do you isntall a short shifter, I have seen the guide on jdmfan.com, but it is very vague, and not very helpful, so could someone shed some light on this for me??

Thanks!!
Old 01-22-2003, 06:53 PM

Default Re: Short shifter questions (Briman2021)

skunk2 one comes with welded type-r shift **** on it...unless you ask for just the shifter.

skunk2 is more reputable than B&M...

people say B&M is better
people say Skunk2 is better

these are one of those things that if you go wrong: 'who cares?'

get the other one.
Old 01-22-2003, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Short shifter questions (Paranoid Android)

answer me this.

why do you want to shift faster than the revs drop between gears?
there is NO POINT. and unless your running a tilton clutch/flywheel unit, your stock shifter works fine.
Old 01-22-2003, 07:11 PM

Default Re: Short shifter questions (Paranoid Android)

didnt the C's SS get real nice reviews , or so i heard
Old 01-22-2003, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Short shifter questions (Kamin)

answer me this.

there is NO POINT. and unless your running a tilton clutch/flywheel unit, your stock shifter works fine.
damn good point. I have a Skunk ss cause it was free
Old 01-22-2003, 07:15 PM

Default Re: Short shifter questions (viCeVerSa)

Some people don't like the B&M cause they said it was cheaply made...although the people I know with it havent had any issues yet. And as for the C's...too much $$$
Old 01-22-2003, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

answer me this.

Why does anyone do anything to their cars. I want a SS, so let me waste my money and help the economy ok???

Why do people bitch about what other people do to their cars??

I know it is a mostly cosmetic mod, but so was my shift ****, and I bought that.
Old 01-22-2003, 07:22 PM

i have a b&m and i have no problems with it
Old 01-22-2003, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

answer me this.

Why does anyone do anything to their cars. I want a SS, so let me waste my money and help the economy ok???

Why do people bitch about what other people do to their cars??

I know it is a mostly cosmetic mod, but so was my shift ****, and I bought that.
dude you need to calm the **** down
im just trying to save him money, there is nothing wrong with cosmetic mods, and i didnt bitch about what he does to his car, im just trying to show that its pointless and really dosent help anything.

damn go chill out
Old 01-22-2003, 07:46 PM

how is a short shifter worthless i am confused
Old 01-22-2003, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wile everyone is barking at eachother... ill tell you how to install the shifter... i think i can remember................... okay you jack up the car, right above your exhaust pipe (dont burn yourself.... ) should be 2 rods sticking out of your transmission.... one is the torque bar or something... the other one should be the one that slams in the gears.... well you unbolt the one that puts in the gears... its one bolt, and push it aside..... now you unbolt the other one holding the shifter up.... it should be 2 bolts.... these bolts are hard to take off sometimes becouse they just spin around after you loosen them..... get some pliers or something to hold them down..... theres this rubber piece that you can upgrade with a polyeurothane.... i forgot what thats called too... but it works..... when the bar drops down you should go inside your car and push the stock shifter down untill it come out of the bracket that is holding it... then that pops out and you slap in the after market one.... im not sure if that is the way it goes... i havent changed one in years..... and as for the brands i have a Neuspeed one.... i liked it alot better than the b&m one.... plus i took it to a machine shop so it can get cut and threaded..... it looked like a truck when i had it in the del slo.....
Old 01-22-2003, 08:19 PM

Default Re: Short shifter questions (gumbii)

This is the easiest way that I have found to do this mod, and I have done it a few times different ways. I just did this last week so it is still fresh in my mind. Get under the car and locate the two bars like he said. Find the one that goes into the tranny (the other one will be mounted on the outside-you will see what I mean once you are under there) and connects to the bottom of the shifter, now unbolt it from the shifter. Next look for the urethane mount, it will have two bolts on either side of a metal bar that is running into the urethane. Take out the two bolts and drop the whole shifter assembley out of your car. Now take and unbolt the torque rod that connects to the outside of your tranny. Now you should be able to take the assembly out from underneath your car and switch the shifters easily. Like I said I think that this is the best method as compared to laying under your car and trying to do it. It might sound complicated but once you get doing it you will see that it is really not. Good luck and God Bless
Old 01-22-2003, 08:21 PM

Default Re: Short shifter questions (gumbii)

do not get b&m... i cant stress this enough. i ve had a b&m for about 6 months and i am ready to throw it away. it rattles like you wouldnt beleive, its not the heat sheids(i took them out) its not the instalition(its perfect), it the piece of **** design of the shifter... plus it has no bend and sits low as hell, so you literally have to bend over to reach it if you are average height, ive been driving w/ my knees almost touching the dash to compensate for it.... i just ordered a skunk double bend shifter, if you want the b&m ill give it to you in a few weeks when i take it off, just pay for shipping. live and learn is the idea, peace.
Old 01-22-2003, 08:25 PM

Default Re: Short shifter questions (euclid)

Short shifters aren't worthless in the least....
Old 01-22-2003, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Short shifter questions (Guru)

please enlighten me in how its good to shift faster than your revs drop between shifts, or how it makes your car faster when your transmission still has to catch up.

the average rev drop takes .2-.3 seconds
if you can shift in .1 who cares? you still have to wait for the engine/transmission to catch up.
Old 01-22-2003, 08:42 PM

"technically" it does help. but you only gain fractions of a sec between shifts, so it doesnt really matter because its so insignificant. Its only a ploy for manufacturers to make more money. thats what i think anyway. and i dont get these outrageous prices man its not like one is really any better than another because they do the same thing(shorten the throws between shifts). what im sayin is theres no real diff. between a $20 shortshifter and one that cost $200. it just depends on the placement of the pivot ball of the shifter.

[Modified by 94hondaLS, 9:44 PM 1/22/2003]
Old 01-22-2003, 08:46 PM

please enlighten me in how its good to shift faster than your revs drop between shifts, or how it makes your car faster when your transmission still has to catch up.

the average rev drop takes .2-.3 seconds
if you can shift in .1 who cares? you still have to wait for the engine/transmission to catch up.

if you cant shift in .2-.3 w/ a regualar shifter then you drop out of the powerband, id rather be quiker than the rev drop than too long.
Old 01-22-2003, 09:49 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I too would like to know the performance benefit of a short shifter, I always though they are for show (which they are). Can anyone using technical insight explain how you benefit?
Old 01-22-2003, 10:03 PM

Default Re: Short shifter questions (GetawayinMoscow)

Been a while since I've driven a car with a SS but what I hear most people say (besides the fact that you can get to the next gear quicker) is possible another market ploy to empty money out of my pocket but that is a SS is more accurate meaning you get it into gear easier, feel it go into gear with more assurance, and there is less play in the shifter. I think it just makes you become a better shifter since YOU have to be more accurate, plus its nice for lazy people like me who like to do as little work as possible.
Old 01-22-2003, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Short shifter questions (Jay-C)

shifter has nothing to do with how it feels. (apart from the bushings)

you can install polyurethane bushings and get a crisper feel.
Old 01-22-2003, 10:09 PM

Default Re: Short shifter questions (GetawayinMoscow)

I too would like to know the performance benefit of a short shifter, I always though they are for show (which they are). Can anyone using technical insight explain how you benefit?
you spend lees time rowing the boat and more time with both hands on the wheel. plus you are less likely to misshift and blow your engine.

it seriously seems that the people who dont like short shifters just dont like them in principle, but dont have experience with them... b/c i was using my stock shifter for a while, now i have a short shifter and i doubt i will ever go back to stock, the feel and precision is so much better with a short shifter... i i dont grind gears anymore from using my foot too fast for a stock shifter to keep up, i used to press the clutch and have it back out before the shifter was in gear, but i dont do that anymore, the timing is perfect. personal preference i guess.
Old 01-22-2003, 10:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

there is a difference between a 20$ and 200$ shifter. cheap ones break......my buddy had a generic one in his rex and it broke in half....I used to have one in my eg but then I swapped and never put it back in. it just makes it simpler to drive. some cars really do need it though .... the throw in my friends 00 si sucks its like rowing a boat and he really needs a short shifter...